If you are in California...you better fill up your fuel tanks before Wednesday.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garyb1st said:
Can't find anything that supports a 62 cents a gallon increase.  Are you saying the total tax will increase to 62 cents or increase by 62 cents. 

An increased registration fee takes place on January 1, 2018.  It will be based on vehicle value and range from $25.00 a year for vehicles valued less than $5,000 to $175.00 a year for vehicles valued at $60,000 and more.

Personally I think we should do what London does and tax vehicles for driving into the city.  Only in our case, we should tax certain out-of-state drivers who drive into California.  However, only those certain drivers who bad mouth the State every time they can. 
I just received my Cali DMV renewal that's  due Jan 8th.  2003 CRV $196.  It would have been about $110 prior.  That's just shy of 80% increase.  Not looking forward to motorhome renewal time.  And that's every year!  Darn it, I love where I live, but no chance of my income increasing I may need to consider moving in the future.

Wendy Lou said:
I just received my Cali DMV renewal that's  due Jan 8th.  2003 CRV $196.  It would have been about $110 prior.  That's just shy of 80% increase.  Not looking forward to motorhome renewal time.  And that's every year!  Darn it, I love where I live, but no chance of my income increasing I may need to consider moving in the future.
You can move to Delaware. No sales taxes. Vehicle registration is cheap. Gas is relatively cheap. Beaches suck. All the waterways are pretty much just mud. You have San Diego, San Francisco, the Redwood Forest, Monterey, the mountains in the morning and the beach in the afternoon. If our grandkids weren't here we would like to try there. We'll pay a bit more in taxes to live somewhere beautiful.

TonyDtorch said:
SB-1 will begin with a 12 cent per gallon tax increase on November 1. That works out to a brutal annual cost of about $1,200 per California family.

Help with me the math here.  At $1,200 per year at $.12 per gallon, does that mean the average California driver uses 10,000 gallons of gas per year?

What am I missing?

Paul & Ann said:
Help with me the math here.  At $1,200 per year at $.12 per gallon, does that mean the average California driver uses 10,000 gallons of gas per year?

What am I missing?

I think most of that cost is due to sitting in traffic.

Local news said the estimate of all the new fuel taxes and registration fees will be aprox $1200 per family.  a  family can spend $4200 per year for each car  . most families have 2+ cars

I know many people with 4 vehicles. 

It's the registration fees.

Quote from: Paul & Ann on Today at 05:45:25 PM

What am I missing?

I think most of that cost is due to sitting in traffic.

So 10,000 gallons @~ $4.00 per gallon means that the average California driver is  spending about $40.000 per year on gasoline?  I doubt that to be true.

Paul & Ann said:

What am I missing?

It's the new math.  Kinda like when Ben Carson, former brain surgeon turned HUD financial sleuth found a bunch of errors totaling $500 Billion.  Not a small feat considering the overall budget is less than $50 Billion. 

Where will the money go?

Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Program ? $3.24 billion a year on average: Off the top, the program allocates several hundred million dollars to various endeavors:

▪ $400 million to maintain and repair state bridges and culverts

▪ $200 million for Sacramento and 23 other counties with local transportation taxes

$100 million to increase the number of trips by bike and on foot

▪ $25 million for the freeway service patrol program

▪ $25 million for sustainable communities planning grants to local governments

▪ $7 million total for transportation-related research and education at UC ($5 million) and CSU ($2 million)

▪ $5 million in workforce development grants to local agencies

Of the roughly $2.48 billion remaining, half would go to Caltrans for state highway maintenance and rehabilitation. The other half would go to cities and counties for road maintenance and repair projects and railroad grade separations. It also pays for an emphasis on ?complete streets? that are safer for walkers and bikers, capture stormwater, and include other features.

I was wrong.

I just found this quote in the LA Times..."Brown said the taxes and fees will cost most Californians less than $10 per month".

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-gas-tax-signing-20170428-story.html

whew ...had me scared for a minute. 

TonyDtorch said:
I was wrong.  I just found this quote in the LA Times..."Brown said the taxes and fees will cost most Californians less than $10 per month".

Proud of you Tony. Takes a big man to say you are wrong

TonyDtorch said:
I was wrong.

I just found this quote in the LA Times..."Brown said the taxes and fees will cost most Californians less than $10 per month".

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-gas-tax-signing-20170428-story.html

whew ...had me scared for a minute.
    You actually believe Jerry Brown???????

Jerry has already been our governor for 4 terms,  after all those years as a well respected Democratic leader of one of the largest states in our nation, 

I wouldn't be surprised if he runs for the White House.

TonyDtorch said:
Jerry has already been our governor for 4 terms,  after all those years as a well respected Democratic leader of one of the largest states in our nation, 

I wouldn't be surprised if he runs for the White House.
  god help us

Thanks for the reminder Scott. Folks, please remember our forum rules re political discussions. We've reminded our forum members numerous times, but here are our rules, also visible by scrolling over the About button in the menu above and scrolling down.

In case you didn't/couldn't read, please stop the political stuff, and post your political rants elsewhere. They have no place in our forum, and only lead to discussions going downhill.

Got my renewal for the motorhome registration.  Based on what the previous owner paid, we're up about $100.00.  That's what I was expecting.  Should be about the same on the Jeep.  Maybe $25.00 on the old Infiniti.  So $225.00 total increase for vehicle registration.  Another $120 in increased gas prices based on 15,000 combined miles.  Total increase, $345.  That's $28.75 a month.  A bit more than the $10.00 a month that was mentioned.  But then, maybe the $10.00 per month is an average for everyone in the State.  ;)  If so, a family of four would on average pay another $40.00 a month.  That's a tougher sell than $10.00 a month.  I'm good with the increase if they actually fix the roads.  However, I'm not holding my breath. 

Unfortunately we have heard those promises before. And the worst part is, for those of us that have lived long term in CA know that once that tax is imposed, it never goes away. Ever. 

Back
Top Bottom