If you are in California...you better fill up your fuel tanks before Wednesday.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I give up on ca..

I figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.....

I'm gonna get me some of that $100 million for bicycles money and buy property in Sodona AZ.

You can move to Delaware. If you travel north and want to avoid some traffic and a red light every hundred yards or so, you can take Del 1. From Dover to Wilmington, about 50 miles, during the week the toll is $2 each way. On the weekend the toll is $4 each way. Our gas is cheaper though. I think it's about $2.35 gal. On the other hand California has the PCH and Delaware has RT 13. I would gladly pay the extra gas money if I could drive the PCH.

Must not have been just Cal. Our gas usually increases .20 or more on Tues and then drops through out the week. Not this time, .20 tues, .27 Wed. $2.69 yesterday when I came home from the cemetery. 

Gasoline here in Des Moines Iowa had been decreasing a few cents every couple of weeks for the last couple of months, then yesterday it went up 10 cents to $2.49.  I am glad I still have 3/4 of a tank that I paid $2.14 for at the end of July.

I just paid $3.49 for mid grade at a Chevron .... it was $3.02 about 2 weeks ago

Thanks Jerry  ??? ........(12 cent increase my ass).

We usually head east from San Diego when we take off on an RV trip. I haven't filled up with California diesel fuel in almost a year. Our 150 gallon tank makes it easy to get to Yuma (3 hours) or some other Arizona town, so that's where I've been fueling up. I filled up in Yuma three days ago, and after driving back to San Diego, I'm only down a little more than an eighth of a tank.

I filled up the Jeep while we were visiting Tombstone last week, and gas was $2.14 per gallon. That's more than a dollar a gallon cheaper than at the 711 near my house.

Kev

Arch Hoagland said:
Years ago when Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor he said he was going to fix highway 99 from Bakersfield to Sacramento. And he did. It is pretty much completed now and in pretty good shape.

We've traveled the length of it this past few months and, with the exception of a few small sections that are being worked on, I'm happy with it.
Glad to hear that as I will be taking 99 south all the way to hwy 58 this Sunday.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Kevin Means said:
I filled up the Jeep while we were visiting Tombstone last week, and gas was $214.00 per gallon. That's more than a dollar a gallon cheaper than at the 711 near my house.

Kev
At that price, it will cost me almost $11,000.00 to fill my 50 gal gas tank!!! That's probably more than my RV is worth!

-Don-  Auburn, CA

[quote author=DonTom]... I will be taking 99 south all the way to hwy 58 this Sunday.[/quote]

Don, FWIW we prefer to take I-5 south, then Hwy 46 via Wasco to Hwy 99, and south to Hwy 58. Don't have to deal with the small towns and associated traffic on Hwy 99.

Tom said:
Don, FWIW we prefer to take I-5 south, then Hwy 46 via Wasco to Hwy 99, and south to Hwy 58. Don't have to deal with the small towns and associated traffic on Hwy 99.
I agree. The reason I always prefered 5 was because 99 was like driving off road since it was in such bad shape. But then again I haven't lived in California for 20 years so things may be different.

My issues with Hwy 99 are the high truck traffic and all the small towns you go through, which means additional traffic.

Tom said:
I have done the I-5 to Wasco thing countless times and that is exactly why I will never do it again during this time of year.

Ever been in the fog so thick on I-5 that you could not see a foot in front of you? And you don't know if you're going to get rear-ended by an 18 wheeler any second if you don't keep the speed up? The worse part is the next exit could be many  hours away at 15 MPH, if you can safely go that fast! That doesn't happen on 99. At least on 99 you can usually get off the freeway MUCH sooner when it becomes foggy.

Anyway, in a few days I will report back here about the shape 99 is in.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

[quote author=DonTom]Ever been in the fog so thick on I-5 that you could not see a foot in front of you?[/quote]

Understood Don. We've always been lucky and not seen any fog on I-5, but have heard/read lots of stories. Easier to navigate the Delta or the Bay by boat in thick fog; Radar and GPS kept us out of trouble numerous time.

That I-5 Tule fog is an absolute nightmare to drive in,  and it happens on the 99 too.

but, it usually only happens in the rainy season.....so that should mean it doesn't happen any more, you have nothing to worry about....except for the cost of enough fuel to get home.  ;)

TonyDtorch said:
That I-5 Tule fog is an absolute nightmare to drive in,  and it happens on the 99 too.
Yes, it can also happen on 99. Take the next exit and wait it out off the freeway. Perhaps a few minutes away, unlike on I-5.

BTW, it was in November several years ago we were on I-5 in the very thick fog.  I will never forget it. It's amazing that nothing happened. It was much like driving totally blind. But that might have been extra bad because it was at night.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Tom said:
Understood Don. We've always been lucky and not seen any fog on I-5, but have heard/read lots of stories. Easier to navigate the Delta or the Bay by boat in thick fog; Radar and GPS kept us out of trouble numerous time.
I think anybody who gets stuck in the fog as bad as we did would reconsider ever taking I-5 again, especially during this time of year. The main problem is nowhere to safely get off the freeway for hours. And I mean hours because the drive will be very, very slow to the next exit, usually many miles away, unlike 99.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

[quote author=DonTom]The main problem is nowhere to safely get off the freeway for hours. And I mean hours because the drive will be very, very slow to the next exit, usually many miles away, unlike 99.[/quote]

Aye Don, I got that very good point from your earlier message. I hadn't thought about that.

Back
Top Bottom