Bonneville Salt Flats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truline

We're thinking of going to the speed week in Bonneville next year. Has anyone ever camped out on the salt? Do they even allow camping out on the salt? If anyone has, what was your experience and what did you do to protect your rig?

truline said:
We're thinking of going to the speed week in Bonneville next year. Has anyone ever camped out on the salt? Do they even allow camping out on the salt? If anyone has, what was your experience and what did you do to protect your rig?

Already have plans for next August but I?m thinking about it also for 2019.

No, you cannot camp on the salt. I've attached a spectator sheet from the SCTA that answers a lot of questions

Attachments

• SCTA Bonneville Helpful Hints for Spectators.pdf
    203.4 KB · Views: 38
Most people camp all along the frontage road of I-80 going to Wendover.

We stay at the KOA in Wendover. I'd suggest making reservations now. 

I wasn't aware that you could camp along the frontage road as Tony mentioned.

The only way I would take my motorhome out on the salt flats to camp is if I was getting a divorce next month and my wife was going to get possession of the RV. ;D

Never been there but yes they do allow camping..

How do I know this

A few years ago a group of Gearheads (Folks into motor things) drove their Modified GMC motor home to the salt flats.. They were told "RVs park over there, this is for people racing the clock".

The guy who told 'em that was a tad surprised when they paid the fee and raced the clock and set what was then the record for fastest RV.. .and they still had 2 gears left.

John From Detroit said:
Never been there but yes they do allow camping..

It?s possible things have changed. The current SCTA written guidance is:

?There is no camping ON the salt. EVERYONE must exit the salt at dusk.?

When I passed through there (last winter) you couldn't even walk on the salt - it was covered in a couple inches of water!  :(

Sprucegum said:
When I passed through there (last winter) you couldn't even walk on the salt - it was covered in a couple inches of water!  :(

You're not allowed to drive on the salt when it's wet. You're not allowed to camp on the salt at all, per BLM regulations: https://www.blm.gov/visit/bonneville-salt-flats.

We went out there this fall and camped along the Silver Island Mountains Backcountry Byway, just off the salt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEsT7Ztalmg

A Google map of our camp is listed in the video description.

We boondocked on the BLM land along the Leppy Pass Road,  which is between I-80 and the Bonneville Speedway Road.  It's a large "mud flat" area that could get really nasty if it rained while you're there.  I figured we'd watch the weather and get the heck out if it looked like rain!  They didn't allow camping on the "salt".

Grand Adventure said:
We went out there this fall and camped along the Silver Island Mountains Backcountry Byway, just off the salt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEsT7Ztalmg

A Google map of our camp is listed in the video description.

When you say you were there "this fall" I presume it was after Speed Week as it did run this year and your video shows a lot of water on the salt. Do you have any knowledge of how busy the area you camped is during Speed Week? I was going to go in 2019 but am moving it up to this year and have reservations at the Wendover KOA. I'm thinking returning to air conditioning after a day on the salt in the August sun might be a good thing but I'm waffling between keeping the reservation and dry camping just for fun. Historical Wendover temps in August show moderate overnight temps so it looks like no AC is required overnight. I am hesitant to consider the "Bend in the Road" boondocking because of the comments about the area turning into a mud bog during rainstorms.

Also, for those that have recent experience with a visit to Bonneville during Speed Week, while I have the SCTA Bonneville Spectator Sheet, I'd love to hear from those that have attended as to what they wish they did or didn't do, brought or didn't bring, along with any other tips and details of your experience.

Back
Top Bottom