Winterizing water heater. Hear bubbling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigus_d

I?m winterizing my trailer for the first time. I?ve drained the water from the holding tank and run the pump as per the instructions. I?ve drained  the hot water heater as well. Now I have 30lbs of air blowing in. When I started that, the water heater sputtered out some more water. Now nothing is really coming out, but I can hear bubbling from in there.

Should I be concerned? Do I keep blowing air in until this stops? Is this normal and I should just move on?

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like your bypass valve/valves may not be positioned correctly. When you pressurize the system, you should not get more water out of your heater unless a valve is open allowing water to enter the heater.

If the water heater is not bypassed as Rene mentioned, you will hear gurgling when the system is pressurized with air. This is normal, because there is always a little water left behind when the water heater is drained. There is enough room for the water to expand when it freezes, so no damage will occur.

You will want to bypass the water heater, to make sure the water lines are completely dry. They're not so forgiving when frozen.

Excellent  thanks!

Yes. With the bypass closed there is no bubbling and the lines blew out fine. I was just concerned about that little bit of water that is clearly still in the heater. Sounds like I?ll be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom