2004 Pace Arrow.Alarm or chirping noise coming from in front of the refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilo

:( I'm new to this site so please bear with me. An average of once per day I receive an inconsistent chirping coming from the ceiling approximately 2 ft in front of the refrigerator. When this noise begins, the appliances shut down; the fridge and TV antenna. The breakers don't trip yet when I manually shut off the appliances breaker the sound stops. This sound can last 5-10 minutes and then suddenly it stops and the fridge and TV antenna start working again. The strange thing about all this is that this chirping begins like clockwork approx. 1 hour after the sun rises and the coach begins to heat up. I'm lost!

Sometimes my fridge has problems lighting on propane after I've been running it on shore power or the generator.  My wife swears that it makes a chirping sound when the "check" light comes on.  Turn the fridge off and back on and she says the noise goes away.
I have yet to hear it...all I hear are the crickets.

Kilo said:
:( I'm new to this site so please bear with me. An average of once per day I receive an inconsistent chirping coming from the ceiling approximately 2 ft in front of the refrigerator. When this noise begins, the appliances shut down; the fridge and TV antenna. The breakers don't trip yet when I manually shut off the appliances breaker the sound stops. This sound can last 5-10 minutes and then suddenly it stops and the fridge and TV antenna start working again. The strange thing about all this is that this chirping begins like clockwork approx. 1 hour after the sun rises and the coach begins to heat up. I'm lost!

Welcome to the forum.
Is the fridge near the stove? The chirp may be coming from the LP alarm which should be near the floor close to the gas stove. Typically, the chirping  is because of low voltage with your battery. You need to check the voltage at the battery when not hooked up to shore power. If the battery is less than 12 volts, you need to check the output of the converter. It should be putting out around 13+ volts.

Thanks for your responses. Again, the fridge shuts off when this irregular chirping begins. The fridge is next to the top burners yet the noise is clearly coming from the ceiling, not the floor. I suppose I could still check the voltage of the battery. Both utility batteries are fully charged.

So, to be clear, the fridge and the antenna share the appliances circuit, and they are the only things on this circuit - do I have that right?  And the fridge and antenna are running on 120VAC?

Obviously since something shuts the circuit down, it?s not an independent detector.  I?ll venture two wild guesses.

Any chance you could have an auto-reset circuit breaker in the area?  The ceiling seems like an unlikely place for that though I, myself, have great difficulty telling exactly where high-pitched chirps are coming from.

There was a thread awhile back about an overheating safety device for RV fridges that shuts them down if they start to overheat and turns them back on when they cool.  I don?t recall what it?s called.  When this happens tomorrow morning, you might open the outside panel to the back of your fridge and see/hear what you can.

Strictly WAGs, but it?s hard to imagine what could cause these symptoms.

Kilo said:

I assume that it's not the "fridge door open" alarm???  On ours, if the doors are not completely closed and latched, after a delay, we get a chirping sound.  Of course after you relatch the door, it stops. Otherwise, it's likely a sensor somewhere which might be due to a low battery?  There are smoke detectors, CO detectors and propane detectors to check.

I suppose it could be an overheating safety device. That would make sense. I'm a truck driver and on the road. I'll look into that when I return.

Turns out both of my house batteries were completely out of water resulting in possible fumes immiting into the coach. I've filled both batteries and so far no more chirping.

Kilo said:
Turns out both of my house batteries were completely out of water resulting in possible fumes immiting into the coach. I've filled both batteries and so far no more chirping.

So the chirping may have been coming from the LP alarm indicating low battery. Hopefully they'll recover. I would put them on a regular battery charger if you have one instead of relying on the converter to charge them.

Kilo said:
Glad that seems to have fixed it.  Still kind of a mystery, though, why the power problem to the fridge and antenna would clear up after 10 - 15 minutes. You?d think if the dry batteries weren?t putting out enough current, that would simply continue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom