Greenhorn to motorhoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

Seems just as soon as we figure something out on our coach(2005 Holiday Rambler Vacationer), we have 2 more questions,,,, thanks for all your answers

1- when leveling with our automatic hydraulic jacks, which order do you go..and does it matter ,,,side to side? front to back? and what do you do if the automatic jack doesnt level?

2-what does everyone use under the the tires to keep them off the ground when parked for a few months?

1: If they're automatic, the computer will do it fine, you don't need to do anything. However manual operation it probably depends on which is the furthest out of level. All else being equal (which it rarely is), I tend to prefer side-to-side leveling first.

2: I've never put anything under the tires for storage -- I usually park on concrete. I might use wooden boards if on grass or dirt, just in case rain and such would cause problems, but not specifically for tire protection.

It will make a difference if you have a 4 point or 3 point arrangement.  A 4 point wont mater,, a 3 point prefers the front goes down first to allow the frame to "teeter".>>>Dan

2-what does everyone use under the tires to keep them off the ground when parked for a few months?

Nothing.  We're usually on concrete and don't worry about it.  New RVers tend to over-think and worry about things needlessly.  Don't stress over minor things!

ArdraF

Putting stuff under the tires for storage partly depends on the climate you live in and the type of surface you would be parked on.

ArdraF said:
New RVers tend to over-think and worry about things needlessly.  Don't stress over minor things!

ArdraF

Minor things to us seasoned RV'ers are big to a newbie.  So all you newbies, keep asking those questions no matter how small they may seem to you.

Sorry if I came across as rejecting the question which was not intended.  Definitely keep asking questions as they come up - but don't get stressed about everything is what I hoped to convey.

ArdraF

My '00 Bounder has a 4 point Power Gear system.  The 2 front ones go up and down as a pair.  The rear ones can be operated individually.
The book says lower the front ones until they lift the coach a bit and then level side to side with the rears.

Isaac-1 said:
Putting stuff under the tires for storage partly depends on the climate you live in and the type of surface you would be parked on.

Putting stuff under the tires for storage partly depends on which old wives tales you believe in.

When I use our Bigfoot jacks in manual mode (rarely), I run the pair on the highest end or side down until they make ground contact, then the opposite end or side until level in that direction, finishing up by bring the remaining low end or side up to level. Most of the time though, I just push "Auto" and go do something else while system sorts it out. I have a pair of levels mounted on the dash and drivers door that show how for out of level we are in each direction before starting.

ArdraF said:
Nothing.  We're usually on concrete and don't worry about it.  New RVers tend to over-think and worry about things needlessly.  Don't stress over minor things!

ArdraF

I understand what you are saying, and accept it in the context of your elaboration about not dissuading questions, but I think what causes the stress for a lot of us newbies is we are not sure which things will bite us an which things we can be more casual about.

Old_Crow said:
My '00 Bounder has a 4 point Power Gear system.  The 2 front ones go up and down as a pair.  The rear ones can be operated individually.
The book says lower the front ones until they lift the coach a bit and then level side to side with the rears.
[/quote
My Dolphin is the same way. I didn't like them at first, but after I got used to them they're not too bad.

If you have HWH joystick control, they are a little more complicated. Read the manual, you can apply more to either the front or rear even when using it in side mode. On my Daybreak, I always had to do the front first because it sat nose down under most circumstances. The best system that I've had was the old HWH 4 stick manual, they were the easiest for me. 

Back
Top Bottom