EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Greenhorn to motorhoming  (Read 431 times)

DTM

• ---
Greenhorn to motorhoming
« on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
Seems just as soon as we figure something out on our coach(2005 Holiday Rambler Vacationer), we have 2 more questions,,,, thanks for all your answers

1- when leveling with our automatic hydraulic jacks, which order do you go..and does it matter ,,,side to side? front to back? and what do you do if the automatic jack doesnt level?

2-what does everyone use under the the tires to keep them off the ground when parked for a few months?

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: Greenhorn to motorhoming
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
1: If they're automatic, the computer will do it fine, you don't need to do anything. However manual operation it probably depends on which is the furthest out of level. All else being equal (which it rarely is), I tend to prefer side-to-side leveling first.

2: I've never put anything under the tires for storage -- I usually park on concrete. I might use wooden boards if on grass or dirt, just in case rain and such would cause problems, but not specifically for tire protection.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
It will make a difference if you have a 4 point or 3 point arrangement.  A 4 point wont mater,, a 3 point prefers the front goes down first to allow the frame to "teeter".>>>Dan
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:22:42 AM by utahclaimjumper »
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »
Thanks, Dan -- I forgot about the 3-pointers.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:00:56 PM »
2-what does everyone use under the tires to keep them off the ground when parked for a few months?

Nothing.  We're usually on concrete and don't worry about it.  New RVers tend to over-think and worry about things needlessly.  Don't stress over minor things!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 03:30:55 PM »
Putting stuff under the tires for storage partly depends on the climate you live in and the type of surface you would be parked on.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
New RVers tend to over-think and worry about things needlessly.  Don't stress over minor things!

ArdraF

Minor things to us seasoned RV'ers are big to a newbie.  So all you newbies, keep asking those questions no matter how small they may seem to you.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
Sorry if I came across as rejecting the question which was not intended.  Definitely keep asking questions as they come up - but don't get stressed about everything is what I hoped to convey.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 05:04:53 AM »
My '00 Bounder has a 4 point Power Gear system.  The 2 front ones go up and down as a pair.  The rear ones can be operated individually.
The book says lower the front ones until they lift the coach a bit and then level side to side with the rears.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 05:34:35 AM »
Putting stuff under the tires for storage partly depends on the climate you live in and the type of surface you would be parked on.

Putting stuff under the tires for storage partly depends on which old wives tales you believe in.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »
When I use our Bigfoot jacks in manual mode (rarely), I run the pair on the highest end or side down until they make ground contact, then the opposite end or side until level in that direction, finishing up by bring the remaining low end or side up to level. Most of the time though, I just push "Auto" and go do something else while system sorts it out. I have a pair of levels mounted on the dash and drivers door that show how for out of level we are in each direction before starting.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

kudzu

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 07:11:46 AM »
Nothing.  We're usually on concrete and don't worry about it.  New RVers tend to over-think and worry about things needlessly.  Don't stress over minor things!

ArdraF

I understand what you are saying, and accept it in the context of your elaboration about not dissuading questions, but I think what causes the stress for a lot of us newbies is we are not sure which things will bite us an which things we can be more casual about.
Me a stranger? Nah, just a friend you haven't met.

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
My '00 Bounder has a 4 point Power Gear system.  The 2 front ones go up and down as a pair.  The rear ones can be operated individually.
The book says lower the front ones until they lift the coach a bit and then level side to side with the rears.
[/quote
My Dolphin is the same way. I didn't like them at first, but after I got used to them they're not too bad.

If you have HWH joystick control, they are a little more complicated. Read the manual, you can apply more to either the front or rear even when using it in side mode. On my Daybreak, I always had to do the front first because it sat nose down under most circumstances. The best system that I've had was the old HWH 4 stick manual, they were the easiest for me. 
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Hosted by Over The Network