Electric problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zeebuild

Hello,
Changing out a light bulb in the closet and shorted out that part of my coach, have no lights in closet or lights over bed, some dead plugs, bath, rear work area, and kitchen plug. Have checked breakers and reset,
Checked gfi plug. Any ideas where to look? I have a 08 Bounder 35 H
Thanks Ken

Check the fuse/breaker on the inverter. If yours is like mine, it's in the bay with the power cord. The inverter is positioned such that the breaker is looking toward the front of the coach. It'll just be a little "popped-out" looking breaker. Just push it in to reset it.

Some of the circuits run through the inverter. I chased wires for 2 weeks before I found that little breaker.

Thanks, mine is located in a cabinet under some drawers. Checked both fuses they are good. Could not see any pop out type for reset. Thanks for your thoughts

you may have two separate problems.
the light in the closet may be a 12 volt d/c light and the plugs that are dead are 120 volts a/c.

I'd check the test/reset button on any of the GFI wall plugs in the bathroom and kitchen.

and then check some of the little plastic blade fuses for the light circuit.

Thanks, I agree with you that it might be two problems. I only have a GFI in the bath and have reset a few Times. They went out at the same time and not all plugs are out. I would say about half are out. Will check fuses in the am again see if I issued one.
Thanks again Ken

If the short circuit occurred to a 12 volt circuit, the problem is almost certainly a blown fuse or popped 12 volt circuit breaker. The fuse or breaker should be in the same panel where all the other fuses/breakers are for the other 12 volt house circuits. Where that panel is, however, is anyone's guess.

I don't see how a momentary short circuit in 12 volt circuit could cause a GFI to pop, but I guess it's possible. Since not all the outlets are affected, it does sound like a popped GFI.

Kev

I agree with two separate problems.

As for the 110v problem, I have a GFCI in the bedroom, it's next to the floor just inside the BR door. If it trips, and it does occasionally, it kills the recep to the central vac. And that recep is in the wet bay. The easiest way I've found to check that GFCI, is to open the central vac door and see if the vac comes on. The reason I say that's the easiest way to check that GFCI is because it's next to the bed and dark, close to the floor and the "trip/reset" buttons both sound the same when you trip them.

Back to your problem, though. I'd double check the inverter for a breaker. The way I found the tripped one on mine was I was "feeling" around the unit, because I couldn't see the sides or back side of it, so I was running my hand around it when I felt the two little "buttons" on it.

Back
Top Bottom