Norcold Fridge won't relight after filling propane tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2strokenut

Hi guys, first post.

My norcold fridge has been working great for the last year but today after filling the propane tank the fridge gives me the X and won't light. I can hear the spark and can smell a little gas on the outside. All the other gas appliances work fine. The fridge was on right before I filled the propane tank as well.

I've tried like 20 times to reignite the fridge but no luck. I'm at a loss this point.

Any help appreciated!

Sounds like air in the line. Even though you?ve done it already I?d run one of your stove burners for a couple minutes then try again

Could it be coincidence that some rust fell down the exhaust stack just before you stopped for propane and is blocking the burner from relighting?

Did you turn the gas back on? Most people at filling stations will not turn it back on after filling, that is your responsibility.

rls7201 said:
Could it be coincidence that some rust fell down the exhaust stack just before you stopped for propane and is blocking the burner from relighting?

That is probably your problem rust chips got onto the burner and disrupted the gas flow. You need to vacuum it out or blow off all the rust chips.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Like I said, all I did was flip the master electrical switch to turn it off when they were filling up. When I turned it back on I assumed it would just light and didn't check it until this morning.

I've been running the water heater and burner for a while and nothing. I decided to pull the plate off and see if there is spark and there is none I can see. I do smell gas. Not sure if there is a breaker or fuse for the spark igniter.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE:

So I decided to just light the burner myself and guess what, it lit. Whats weird is I could turn it off and it would relight like normal. I decided to let it sit for about 15 and light again. Did not relight.

Does this point to a faulty igniter box or something?

Turn the fridge off and then watch/listen carefully as someone else switches it back on. You should see/hear the igniter spark at least 3 times. It doesn't sit there and spark forever, so you can't check later. You stated initially that you could hear the spark, and if that is still the case then the igniter and the control board are working.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Turn the fridge off and then watch/listen carefully as someone else switches it back on. You should see/hear the igniter spark at least 3 times. It doesn't sit there and spark forever, so you can't check later. You stated initially that you could hear the spark, and if that is still the case then the igniter and the control board are working.

Hi Gary,

I can hear the igniter makes the sound but when I watch, without light, I cannot see the spark. It only lights when I stick a lighter inside. If it not sparking, what do I need to replace?

The only sound the igniter makes that I know of is the snap of the spark jumping, so if you hear it I think it is sparking.  Do you have the cover off the burner where the flame jet is? It's only a tiny flame.

What model Norcold are we talking about?  Get a service manual for it at: http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The only sound the igniter makes that I know of is the snap of the spark jumping, so if you hear it I think it is sparking.  Do you have the cover off the burner where the flame jet is? It's only a tiny flame.

What model Norcold are we talking about?  Get a service manual for it at: http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

I've had the weekend to play around with this thing on a dune trip and here is what I've found:

-Sometimes if the master switch is turned off and turned back on the fridge will not turn back on, or spark. I can hear the relay in the engine compartment and in fridge. Almost like the switch is stuck. I would press the on switch multiple times and it would click the relay on the fridge- causing the spark but no light. I had to do it manually.
-A couple of times the fridge would give me the X and I had to relight the flame. I'm not sure if the regulator or something is going bad.

How do I tell what model I have, Gary?

Just a final update:

Ordered a new igniter box and the thing fires up like new and stays on. Thank you everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom