B&W Companion hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshc017

Picked this up local. It's an older model, a 3000 series I think. It slides down inside the receiver nicely. After taking my camper out for a pull, i noticed some slop in it. You can see from the picture with the black circles how much it twists. I'm not 100% certain how I can fix this. There is some play side to side in square tube that slides into the receiver, so I'm wondering if I can install some thick rubber under the side supports (looks like there was some thin rubber once before) or maybe fab up a system where I can tighten down each corner? You ever seen that before? One reason it does this is that my 5th wheel (new to me) has a swivel pin box on it, made for short bed, so when I turn it puts a lot of sideways pressure against the hitch itself. I'm in the process of selling that one and will install a typical pin box on my camper. That will take care of most of the slop I believe.

Attachments

• 20171029_161847.jpg
    20171029_161847.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20171101_133226.jpg
    20171101_133226.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20171029_175036 (002).jpg
    20171029_175036 (002).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 45
I am not familiar with the B&W installation, but my Andersen has a method to tighten the hitch down on the ball and tight to the bed.  Here is the B&W site with instruction manuals that might help.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/single-point-attachment/companion-5th-wheel-hitch#question

When all else fails, read the directions  ;)

B&W states not to use a swivel hitch with their hitches. I think you're seeing why.  I assume you're using a Reese sidewinder.  Suggest you ditch that heavy ass, hard to install and uninstall B&W and get a Reese.  With the rails it can with stand the twisting forces.  Now, you're putting all of that on the square tube and the receiver in the base plate. 

A suggestion to help if you want to keep the B&W. You'll need to have some braces from the frame to the bottom of the bed and then drill holes through the B&W frame and bolt it down.  That will put the twisting torque out further providing additional support for the twist you're placing on it.

Had a Reese on the last truck and a B&W on this one....cuss the B&W every time I want to take it out or put it back in.

Wi1dBi11

Wi1dBill said:
B&W states not to use a swivel hitch with their hitches. I think you're seeing why.  I assume you're using a Reese sidewinder.  Suggest you ditch that heavy ass, hard to install and uninstall B&W and get a Reese.  With the rails it can with stand the twisting forces.  Now, you're putting all of that on the square tube and the receiver in the base plate. 

A suggestion to help if you want to keep the B&W. You'll need to have some braces from the frame to the bottom of the bed and then drill holes through the B&W frame and bolt it down.  That will put the twisting torque out further providing additional support for the twist you're placing on it.

Had a Reese on the last truck and a B&W on this one....cuss the B&W every time I want to take it out or put it back in.

Wi1dBi11
Thank you for the link.  That's good info.  I never dreamed it would be that kind of operation for removal. 

Wi1dBill said:

Wi1dBi11

After reading the instructions, it is quite the effort....but no more work than an traditional hitch.  I have a Drawtite slider that came with the camper, but I don't want to loose my gooseneck or install rails in the bed.  As I said in the original post, I'm selling the rotating pin box.  I feel that a traditional pin box will not put nearly the stress as this stupid thing I have. 

Have you looked at the Andersen Ultimate?  I mounts to the Goose ball and can be installed or removed in under 5 minutes - and only weighs 36 pounds!

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/gooseneck-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

grashley said:
Have you looked at the Andersen Ultimate?  I mounts to the Goose ball and can be installed or removed in under 5 minutes - and only weighs 36 pounds!

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/gooseneck-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

I hadn't until just the other day.  That is certainly a cool product.

Do you have the B&W under bed frame?  If so, torqued the bolt on top of the shaft that goes into the bed?  I have no probs with my companion but it does have runners that match the bed contour which I did not see in your pics.

Dawgfever said:
Do you have the B&W under bed frame?  If so, torqued the bolt on top of the shaft that goes into the bed?  I have no probs with my companion but it does have runners that match the bed contour which I did not see in your pics.

You are correct, no runners.  I will be getting a set of those for sure.  Thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom