Dually Diesel truck for everyday use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandk

Hi to all the fulltimers out there with a fifth wheel and diesel dually.  We are planning to retire next year and will be fulltiming around the country for awhile.  After lots of research we had decided on a Grand Design Solitude and a diesel dually to pull it.  Now I am pondering how it will be to use that truck everyday when we are parked somewhere for a week or two, maybe more.  We do not plan to be driving every day, or even every week.  We hope to settle into a spot for at least a week and probably more before moving onto another. Sometimes we may stay for a month, depending on how good the fishing is for my flyfishing hubby!  I'm wondering for those of you who are fulltiming this way, do you use your dually every day for traveling into national and state parks and for exploring the area where you are located?  Do you find it to be cumbersome? 

I've started to wonder if we should be exploring a Class C motorhome and tow a Jeep for the excursions into the parks and around towns.  It certainly will not give us the same living space that a fifth wheel offers, but would it be better in the long run for gas costs, mileage, etc?  The hubby doesn't really like the Class A's - he says he feels like he is in a bus instead of a home.  Somehow he is more willing to think about the Class C's as a possibility.

I'd love to hear from all you fifth wheelers as to your everyday life with a dually.  Thanks so much!

Have owned my dually since 2007, so Im a relative newby dually driver.  However I much prefer driving my dually over DWs car.  The only downside I have ever foundmbesides the need to pirchase two extra tires is there has been times I have had to park farther away from a stores front door.  No big deal to me, I need the exercise.  Remember, the widest spot of a dually is still the mirrors. So, if the mirrors fit the truck will fit.

I know of a couple of full timers that have a dually and the spouse drives a separate vehicle.(Usually a SUV)  Since they are normally only moving a hundred of so miles from site to site it not a big deal.  Also, if they are unsure of the location they stop and park the rig and scout the location with the other vehicle.

Using the dually as a grocery getter and for coffee runs is also often done.  Just that parking is a little more of a challenge parking downtown.  I would strongly suggest a "below the bed rail" lockable tool box and a roll up bed cover.

We are snowbirds so we use our truck as our get around vehicle.  Not a dually but a Chevy 2500HD with a crew cab it's a bit a challenge getting in and out of some parking spot but you get used to it and make do.

On as side note, since you're looking at a dually, take a look at a ton and a half.  More capacity and better brakes.

Wi1dBi11

Well, the 1-ton dually truck you need to pull that rig is just plain big. Long, probably 20-21 ft, and wide at the rear wheels.  Truck lovers probably think that's a plus, but in my opinion its a minor nuisance at the grocery store, shopping mall, and many restaurant parking spots. As far as driving it, though, it rides and handles well and certainly comfortable and reasonably quiet. Unless you get a bare bones model it will have all the creature comforts of a nice sedan.

Realistically, you have no choice but to get the one-ton (or larger) truck if you want that nice 5W. The only alternative is a motorhome and pull a smaller toad.

we have had our dually since March. we went from towing an Escape to a crew cab long bed dually. yes the Escape was easier to go places in , but so far the dually has not been an issue. we do have to park further away from the front door at the stores but that's OK - so far no issues at National Parks or state parks.  I like driving it and my DW will take it from time to time to run errands.
go out and test drive a few and see how you like it.

I dont have a dually,but I love my 1 ton.
Parking or maneuvering requires more thinking...but its part of the fun.

OutdoorFT said:
I dont have a dually,but I love my 1 ton.
Parking or maneuvering requires more thinking...but its part of the fun.

Same here...except mine is a 3/4 ton. With the extended cab and 8' box I have not parked anywhere close to a store (or work) in 7 years but I don't mind. My neighbor has driven duallies for over 20 years just because he loves them. At one point both he and his wife each had one! As far as I know, he's only lost one fender in all those years and that was from a deer strike.

We have a dually and have no problems using it as our daily vehicle. In fact, I used it as my vehicle for a year before we went fulltime.

We had a class C for 12 years and got rid of it when we decided to go fulltime. The space and comfort of the fifth wheel is just so much better! Even the ride in the truck is better than the class C was. I don?t think you would be happy fulltime in a C compared to what you can get in a 5er. (JMO)

Vicki

We are not yet fulltimers, that will come in January, however we do own a dually and have made quite a few trips with it, and on rare occasions I have commuted to work in it.  I have not found it to be a problem for the use you describe as a daily driver, as others have said, it just requires thought and to be mindful of those wide hips and length when making turns and parking.  Knowing what I know now, I would not let it be of concern.

Thank you everyone for all of your great info and advice.  You have all pretty much confirmed what we thought about the dually and 5er, so we are full steam ahead for next year's retirement and fulltime adventure!  No more looking at Class C's or A's - just focus in on what GD Solitude model we want to fulltime with.  And of course, which of the big 3 trucks to purchase!  We've driven all 3 - the Ram is so comfortable to ride in - the new Ford has all of those great bells and whistles for towing - the GMC has the great diesel engine and proven record - AGHHHH!  A difficult decision - each truck has people who love it and wouldn't drive anything else!  So I guess it will be which dealer gives us the best deal when we are ready to buy....or maybe the perfect used dually will come along....

BTW - Gizmo - I see you are getting ready to fulltime also next year....I also see that you have a truck camper.  Are you really going to fulltime in a truck camper??  My hats off to you folks if that is in your plans! 

Thanks again everyone for your responses and for this great forum!  We have learned so much about RVing and continue to learn new things every time we read the forum.  It has been immensely helpful as we have researched for about two years getting ready to fulltime. 

jandk said:
Thank you everyone for all of your great info and advice.  You have all pretty much confirmed what we thought about the dually and 5er, so we are full steam ahead for next year's retirement and fulltime adventure!  No more looking at Class C's or A's - just focus in on what GD Solitude model we want to fulltime with.  And of course, which of the big 3 trucks to purchase!  We've driven all 3 - the Ram is so comfortable to ride in - the new Ford has all of those great bells and whistles for towing - the GMC has the great diesel engine and proven record - AGHHHH!  A difficult decision - each truck has people who love it and wouldn't drive anything else!  So I guess it will be which dealer gives us the best deal when we are ready to buy....or maybe the perfect used dually will come along....

BTW - Gizmo - I see you are getting ready to fulltime also next year....I also see that you have a truck camper.  Are you really going to fulltime in a truck camper??  My hats off to you folks if that is in your plans! 

Thanks again everyone for your responses and for this great forum!  We have learned so much about RVing and continue to learn new things every time we read the forum.  It has been immensely helpful as we have researched for about two years getting ready to fulltime.

Yes we sure are going to fulltime in it.  Not your average TC though,  as it is quite large with 3-slides and everything we need.  Good luck with your search & plans.

I am on my 3rd dually the first two were daily drivers and being in sales my drives usually involves 10 plus sales calls a day. Most of my calls are to auto shops where parking can be a pain, so there are times i have had to park in the lot next to where im going. But driving it is like anything else you get used to it quickley and yes sometimes you have to walk a couple extra yards big deal we can all use the exercise.
After 17 GM trucks i just bought a Ford because of the extra bells and whistles and so far i love it but i only have 3000 miles on it. All three make a great truck and all three have plusses and minues depending on your tastes.

I also have a daily driver but thats only because i want my dually as a tow vehicle, diesels dont like stopping and starting 20 times a day they need to be run hard 70-80 % of the time.

We found a dually for a daily commute is one expensive truck to operate. We carry a Smart on the bed of our truck. It is our daily commute. Very inexpensive and great grocery getter. 

Hi,
  We are, also, going full-time next year, in a Grand Design Reflection.  I have a 2017 Ram 3500 dually and use it as a daily driver.  As others have said, once you have the crew cab and long bed, you aren't parking in the "compact" spots.  You may as well get the dually.  We love our dually and won't go back to a srw until we're done traveling.

Greg

The one thing that no one has mentioned that can be a BIG issues, are downtown parts of major cities with parking garages.  I once had to park in a parking garage at the Texas medical center in Houston in my single rear wheel crew cab F250, this involved going to 3 parking garages before finding one with high enough clearance (barely) for the stock height 4x2 F250, even then making the switch back turns on each level required backing and cutting, and then I had to skip numerous empty spaces that were either too narrow, too short or both, until finding a longer one in a corner that I could barely squeeze into.  Exiting had its own issues with tight turns, thankfully though this was not one of those parking garages with a continuous spiral ramp exit.

Isaac-1 said:
The one thing that no one has mentioned that can be a BIG issues, are downtown parts of major cities with parking garages. 
  HAhaha, besides, I've never been in a parking garage that could come close to fitting one in a parking spot.  I barely squeeze my YukonXL in.  I guess we will need to come into modern times and get an Uber sometimes.

I have had several diesels and pulled trailers with them. My favorite was the 4X4 long bed dually six speed.  People get out of your way when they see you coming!  The DW could drive it, but hated parking it. Me, I didn't mind at all.  I did have to arrange the spring pack in the back of the dually a bit to lower it about 4".  The bed was so tall that it was a bit too close to the bottom of the 5ver for my liking.

I sold it when I got my first motor home. I still miss that truck! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drgarciabiomagnetism
Back
Top Bottom