SD satellite receiver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

So I bought this motorhome with a Winegard Model MV3500A dome antenna and a portable VuCube Satellite TV antenna for viewing when I'm in the trees. (It also has a functional Winegard entertainment box) but no satellite receiver. The antenna DIP switches are set for DirecTV, and I have an HD DirecTV DVR in the house. Not wanting to go the expense of a Winegard Trav'ler, I have elected to stay with standard definition TV signal in the motorhome even though the installed TV is HD.

Have not been able to find a standard definition receiver, and information from DirecTV indicates they no longer provide one, however their HD receiver "should work". Reluctant to order an HD receiver if it isn't compatible with the installed SD antennas.
Would be appreciative if someone can provide a layman's solution to this problem.

HD receivers will also receive SD channels just fine. In fact, when you're using a dish that does HD, you can actually display both SD and HD channels -- they are separate. But I normally keep the SD hidden unless there's no corresponding HD for it. So an HD receiver should work just fine for you.

Larry N. said:
HD receivers will also receive SD channels just fine. In fact, when you're using a dish that does HD, you can actually display both SD and HD channels -- they are separate. But I normally keep the SD hidden unless there's no corresponding HD for it. So an HD receiver should work just fine for you.

Will SWM receivers work with his antennas?

Paul & Ann said:
Will SWM receivers work with his antennas?

The Genie will work with a Standard Definition Antenna (18" round). I use an 18" portable dish when my Travelr can't "see" the satellites.
I the past there was a choice of antenna that included 18" round, but that was removed with a software update. But if you hide the HD channels it will still work.

ken

As Larry says, you do not need an "SD" receiver - just one that matches the subscription (Direct, Dish, etc) you have so it can receive from their satellite(s). They are all HD-capable theses days, and in fact many of the standard network stations available on Direct's primary satellite are broadcast in HD.

The rep that told you they don't have one probably thought you wanted a receivet that connected to older analog/SD tvs using a coax cable to the tvs.  As long as your coach has digital HD-capable wiring, e.g. HDMI or component video/audio, you can use any of Directs receivers. None of the current receives available for Direct have coax output.

You will need a switch and power inserter so the receiver recognizes a SWM. It's a Multi Dish switch even if you have only 1 dish. after it configures you just need to display SD channels.

glen54737 said:
You will need a switch and power inserter so the receiver recognizes a SWM. It's a Multi Dish switch even if you have only 1 dish. after it configures you just need to display SD channels.

True, to use an 18" (or any standard def dish) with a Genie you will need a SWM switch and a power 28 volt power inserter (note: not the 21 volt inserter, that is for SWM capable dishes). These are available on Amazon MUCH cheaper than from Directv.

Back
Top Bottom