Another early introduction to music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I'm the little guy sitting next to Ozzie Morris, organist at our local Penuel chapel in the olde country. Wish I'd taken lessons from him.

Attachments

• Penuel_organ-2.jpg
    Penuel_organ-2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 25
Great picture, Tom. One of my fellow parishioner's grandson has been taking lessons and gave us a little recital after Mass one day. About a year later our regular organist was on vacation so the little guy played Mass for us and was very impressive. He's about 12.

... our regular organist was on vacation so the little guy played Mass for us and was very impressive.

Wonderful. Folks I know who learned to play the organ when they were kids turned out to be great musicians.

A few years ago forum member Stan Birch posted a photo of his home organ. What an impressive instrument.

The closest I got to any "action" on an organ was when, in my youth, I switched from Baptist chapel to CofE. The church had an even larger pipe organ. My job was to inflate the huge manual bellows that provided air to all those pipes, a rather noisy "pumping" action.

In addition to regular Sunday service, I'd be called into action for weddings and other services. As we came out of a quiet prayer, the organist would rap on the side of the organ, my cue to get those bellows inflated in almost zero time so he could hit the first note. No air, no note, and I used to pump my heart out to get the bellows inflated.

Back
Top Bottom