EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Dead animal odor  (Read 6544 times)

jhandy

Dead animal odor
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »
I bought a fifth wheel at an auction on Saturday. Just so happens that my uncle used to work at the dealership where the auction was held and he said the reason they couldn't sell that RV is there was a dead cat in it for about a year and they could never get the smell out after that. He says as soon as it warms up I won't be able to go inside and that I should try to get rid of it.
I would rather just keep it so I was wondering if anyone had a good idea for getting the smell out of it.
Thanks,
Jesse

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: Dead animal odor
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
Well. Air, Time and Fabreeze(TM) are your friends

However the first thing is looking for places odor can hide,  cabinets, carpets, air ducts and such can be a real female canine to get deorderized (Carpeting and fabrics may respond to Fabreeze or one of the competing products or may need replacement, Air ducts can be a real PITA (pain in the anatomy) as they may be burried where replacement is no easy task)

Do not forget the  basement and other storage areas either.

Baking soda is good for washing hard surfaces.. May help with carpet and fabrics too

Beyond that the only things I can think of are extreme and may do damage.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

seilerbird

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »
The first thing you need to do is get rid of the dead cat. Then get yourself an ionizing air purifier. That will certainly do the trick. They come in all price ranges, here is one I found at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AIR-O-SWISS-2055-Ionizing-Washer-Humidifier/dp/B00012QCTU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1233615212&sr=8-3

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
Run a Google search on dead animal smell

You will get a number of results some of which look interesting.
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

regularguy

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:24:52 AM »
I like the suggestions by John in Detroit. Also: a lot of fish houses use vinegar then cinnamon. Just to be sure though, shut the propane system off. A propane leak smells like a dead animal, and you could be experiencing two problems by coincidence.
Pete (PeeDee)
Massachusetts

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »
If the body fluids of a dead animal have seeped into the carpet and subflloor (which is raw wood and porous), you may have a difficult time. I would try John's suggestions first and also shampoo the carpets with a pet odor elimination solution (most carpet cleaner rental places have it).

Have you been able to isolate the source of the odor yet?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:10:31 AM »
Put a couple open bags of regular charcol, not the easy lighting kind, in the rig.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

jhandy

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
It is still pretty cold here and I can barely smell any odor at all. My uncle thinks it will rear its ugly head once it warms up. I might try to go put a heater in there today and see if I can smell it more. thanks for the suggestions.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »
It is still pretty cold here and I can barely smell any odor at all. My uncle thinks it will rear its ugly head once it warms up. I might try to go put a heater in there today and see if I can smell it more. thanks for the suggestions.

Wouldn't hurt to put the charcol in now as it could very well prevent the odor from even coming back when it gets warm.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

buckle823

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:35:14 PM »
I'd say find out where it was laying, and put some bleach on the area.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
I agree with Ron... Carbon is a natural odor absorber and charcoal  is carbon.. So is baking soda by the way (Which is why you add abakings soda to your wash water)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

John123

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 04:04:02 AM »
Try to use methods from here https://stoppestinfo.com/49-how-to-get-rid-of-dead-rat-smell-from-your-home-html.html . It is ways how to get rid dead rat smelling, but i think for cat and another dead animal it is good too. Let me know, if you get rid of this.  8)

Danny Pyle

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 05:03:45 AM »
Try to use methods from here https://stoppestinfo.com/49-how-to-get-rid-of-dead-rat-smell-from-your-home-html.html . It is ways how to get rid dead rat smelling, but i think for cat and another dead animal it is good too. Let me know, if you get rid of this.  8)
Iwould guess if they haven't gotten rid of the smell since 2009 they aren't going to.
2017 Z-1 231FB
Chandlersville, Oh.
2017 Ford F-250 Supercab 6.2L

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 05:19:19 AM »
I would guess if they haven't gotten rid of the smell since 2009 they aren't going to.
The large majority of people who use this site are lurkers. In other words they read but don't register and contribute. So many people will find this information useful even though the OP is long gone.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Danny Pyle

• ---
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
The large majority of people who use this site are lurkers. In other words they read but don't register and contribute. So many people will find this information useful even though the OP is long gone.
I know, it was kinda meant in jest.
2017 Z-1 231FB
Chandlersville, Oh.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
That is what these little guys are for. ;D :D ;) :) :o
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Danny Pyle

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
That is what these little guys are for. ;D :D ;) :) :o
👍
2017 Z-1 231FB
Chandlersville, Oh.

Bob T

• ---
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »
Just wondering if an ozone generator would be any help?
Thoughts anyone?
2008 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD
Any day you wake up on the right side of the grass is a Beautiful Day!

KandT

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 04:19:54 AM »
If the OP can get used to it he is almost certainly going to have plenty of space around him at campgrounds.  8). I'd like a little more space - got me thinking about carrying a road kill with me.  It could be part of the set up ritual.  Level, slide out, water hooked up and road kill out. ;D
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

John123

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 05:34:37 AM »
yeah, i know, but maybe someone find this topic now, and find this useful infomation :D

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 03:01:57 PM »
Just wondering if an ozone generator would be any help?
Thoughts anyone?
That'a what morgues uses. Some bodies they bring in during the summer months are quite ripe. When you see the drivers come in with their heads hanging out the window, you know they have a good one.  I never could believe they would bring some of those bodies into the hospital. Sometimes you could smell the odor for a couple of days in the lower level where my shop was.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

ksbowman

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
I worked years ago on a hospital expansion and one floor was next to the morgue/autopsy room, the exhaust fan for that room was at the 3rd floor level. I was never so glad to get to the next floor as when the exhaust fan would open and give us a full view as well as the aromas that came off one drowning victim who had been in the lake for a few days.

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
I would go with an ionizer that has UVC to sanitize the air.

https://www.amazon.com/OION-Permanent-Purifier-Ionizer-Sanitizer/dp/B00FBMJK9Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1503271202&sr=8-1&keywords=ionizing+air+purifier&linkCode=ll1&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=690abc5189f2b4565213e88c59f725a6

The UVC does magic. I had a friend who was dying in a room where the carpet smelled like piss. I got him a UVC sanitizer and it immediately ate the odors. He claimed to be sleeping better at night and everyone else in the house was glad to see the odors go bye bye.

I have been using a UVC in my motorhome to kill germs which kills the odors. It does magic.

Shame they left a dead cat in there. That is frighteningly sad.
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:59 AM »
    My uncle used to haul meat in a 40' reefer across the country. He had tried everything to get rid of the blood and juices that would eventually drip and even run out the back until another trucker told him about coffee. He would spread several pounds of it around and it would take the meat smell out completely. If it worked on meat then it may be worth a try on dead animals. Would even try pouring a pot of coffee on the soaked in areas.  I know this discussion is many years old but just passing it on.  Just cant wait until I find another dead animal to try it on....not really
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
Hands down this is the best thread I've come across on this site. Should I find myself in a smelly situation I am now armed with as much information as I care to have. I wonder if he ever got the smell out? More importantly, why was the cat dead in there for a year?
2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

JoshuaWalker101

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
You should locate the odor area first. Then clean up the whole area with bleach. Then add some odor remover to keep the smell under control. After that, you can apply some charcoal on it. The smell would disappear after a few days.

Spring Creek

• ---
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 09:23:44 PM »
Catblaster, did it look like this?  ;D

Snapped this one cold February morning going to the local Tyson pork plant.
Kurt
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K - 2011 Equinox

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
Catblaster, did it look like this?  ;D

Snapped this one cold February morning going to the local Tyson pork plant.

Pork popsicles........thats like riding a motorcycle behind a sewer truck or maybe worse
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Hosted by Over The Network