EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: SAFETY RECALL!!! Fire Extinguishers!!  (Read 321 times)

Woofer

• ---
SAFETY RECALL!!! Fire Extinguishers!!
« on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »
TAKE NOTICE!!
This is a NATIONWIDE RECALL of 37 Million Fire Extinguishers made by Kidde with PLASTIC HANDLES AND NOZZLES <<--- They JAMB!
Already blamed for one death where someone was trapped in car and the Kidde units plugged up and would not discharge

I am having all 6 of my home Fire Extinguishers recalled and replaced by Kidde

This includes the White Type B C Fire Extinguisher in my Winnebago.

Replacements take 15 working days!

See details on link below
http://www.wcvb.com/article/378-million-fire-extinguishers-recalled/13139866
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:39:32 PM by Woofer »
2003 Winnebago Brave 34D
Retired USAF (25 years)
Retired General Dynamics (13 years)
Part Time RV'er (1 year)
Boston - South Coast
FaceBook "Winnebago Brave - Old & New"

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: SAFETY RECALL!!! Fire Extinguishers!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I carry five extinguishers and have three in our house. Will have to check them all.

Here is a link to the Kidde recall site:

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/ 

2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »
Even if it is not a Kidde it is good practice to shake your extinguishers from time to time. You can add this to checking your fire alarm batteries each year. The chemicals will settle into a puck at the bottom of the extinguisher and not spray as much fire retardant as it should. Just give it a shake to break up the clumps and put it back where you keep it.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:51:13 AM »
I remember back when I was in the Navy, we were taught to turn PKP (dry chemical) extinguishers upside down and thump them on the deck before discharging them.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
Good info, I will check mine asap.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
I remember back when I was in the Navy, we were taught to turn PKP (dry chemical) extinguishers upside down and thump them on the deck before discharging them.

Better not do that to the recalled units!!! They all have plastic fittings and thumping them on a hard surface could cause a different problem!!!

I was also trained to shake them up but here at home, that was largely forgotten about.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

JackL

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »
I had a different problem and it was probably my own fault for not being more observant.

A few months ago while our propane grill was lit, flames started coming out of the connection between the propane tank and the hose.
 I immediately shut the burners off, and when I went to shut off the tank, I had to reach through the flames. I then made the cardinal mistake of turning the valve the wrong way and there was an immediate whosh of bigger flames, and they were right beside our wood shingled house. I tried once again to reach into the flames to turn the valve the correct way and naturally burned a couple of my fingers pretty badly before giving up and heading toward the fire extinguisher.
 When I went to pull the safety pin,  no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't pull out. Now I was paniking and gave a mighty yank with my finger and almost took my finger off cutting it badly.
 I was then able to get the flames out, and when I examined why the pin wouldn't come out found that there was one of those tiny plastic tie wrap type things with the little tiny balls that evidently had the price tag attached to it at the store. 
Thankfully the whole situation turned out OK except for the burns that took almost a month to heal and the cut.
 Needless to say I went around the house and pulled the pin on every one of four other extenguishers

Jack L

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
I had a different problem and it was probably my own fault for not being more observant.

A few months ago while our propane grill was lit, flames started coming out of the connection between the propane tank and the hose.
 I immediately shut the burners off, and when I went to shut off the tank, I had to reach through the flames. I then made the cardinal mistake of turning the valve the wrong way and there was an immediate whosh of bigger flames, and they were right beside our wood shingled house. I tried once again to reach into the flames to turn the valve the correct way and naturally burned a couple of my fingers pretty badly before giving up and heading toward the fire extinguisher.
 When I went to pull the safety pin,  no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't pull out. Now I was paniking and gave a mighty yank with my finger and almost took my finger off cutting it badly.
 I was then able to get the flames out, and when I examined why the pin wouldn't come out found that there was one of those tiny plastic tie wrap type things with the little tiny balls that evidently had the price tag attached to it at the store. 
Thankfully the whole situation turned out OK except for the burns that took almost a month to heal and the cut.
 Needless to say I went around the house and pulled the pin on every one of four other extenguishers

Jack L

thanks for the story.  checking our units tonight!
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Hosted by Over The Network