SAFETY RECALL!!! Fire Extinguishers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woofer

TAKE NOTICE!!
This is a NATIONWIDE RECALL of 37 Million Fire Extinguishers made by Kidde with PLASTIC HANDLES AND NOZZLES <<--- They JAMB!
Already blamed for one death where someone was trapped in car and the Kidde units plugged up and would not discharge

I am having all 6 of my home Fire Extinguishers recalled and replaced by Kidde

This includes the White Type B C Fire Extinguisher in my Winnebago.

Replacements take 15 working days!

See details on link below
http://www.wcvb.com/article/378-million-fire-extinguishers-recalled/13139866

Thanks for the heads up. I carry five extinguishers and have three in our house. Will have to check them all.

Here is a link to the Kidde recall site:

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/ 

Even if it is not a Kidde it is good practice to shake your extinguishers from time to time. You can add this to checking your fire alarm batteries each year. The chemicals will settle into a puck at the bottom of the extinguisher and not spray as much fire retardant as it should. Just give it a shake to break up the clumps and put it back where you keep it.

I remember back when I was in the Navy, we were taught to turn PKP (dry chemical) extinguishers upside down and thump them on the deck before discharging them.

kdbgoat said:
I remember back when I was in the Navy, we were taught to turn PKP (dry chemical) extinguishers upside down and thump them on the deck before discharging them.

Better not do that to the recalled units!!! They all have plastic fittings and thumping them on a hard surface could cause a different problem!!!

I was also trained to shake them up but here at home, that was largely forgotten about.

I had a different problem and it was probably my own fault for not being more observant.

A few months ago while our propane grill was lit, flames started coming out of the connection between the propane tank and the hose.
I immediately shut the burners off, and when I went to shut off the tank, I had to reach through the flames. I then made the cardinal mistake of turning the valve the wrong way and there was an immediate whosh of bigger flames, and they were right beside our wood shingled house. I tried once again to reach into the flames to turn the valve the correct way and naturally burned a couple of my fingers pretty badly before giving up and heading toward the fire extinguisher.
When I went to pull the safety pin,  no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't pull out. Now I was paniking and gave a mighty yank with my finger and almost took my finger off cutting it badly.
I was then able to get the flames out, and when I examined why the pin wouldn't come out found that there was one of those tiny plastic tie wrap type things with the little tiny balls that evidently had the price tag attached to it at the store. 
Thankfully the whole situation turned out OK except for the burns that took almost a month to heal and the cut.
Needless to say I went around the house and pulled the pin on every one of four other extenguishers

Jack L

JackL said:
I had a different problem and it was probably my own fault for not being more observant.

A few months ago while our propane grill was lit, flames started coming out of the connection between the propane tank and the hose.
I immediately shut the burners off, and when I went to shut off the tank, I had to reach through the flames. I then made the cardinal mistake of turning the valve the wrong way and there was an immediate whosh of bigger flames, and they were right beside our wood shingled house. I tried once again to reach into the flames to turn the valve the correct way and naturally burned a couple of my fingers pretty badly before giving up and heading toward the fire extinguisher.
When I went to pull the safety pin,  no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't pull out. Now I was paniking and gave a mighty yank with my finger and almost took my finger off cutting it badly.
I was then able to get the flames out, and when I examined why the pin wouldn't come out found that there was one of those tiny plastic tie wrap type things with the little tiny balls that evidently had the price tag attached to it at the store. 
Thankfully the whole situation turned out OK except for the burns that took almost a month to heal and the cut.
Needless to say I went around the house and pulled the pin on every one of four other extenguishers

Jack L

thanks for the story.  checking our units tonight!

Late to this party but finally got around to checking the two at home and one in the coach.  All are good as one is metal and the other two have the horizontal pin with the curved handle (not affected). Kidde has a good site describing those which are affected and not affected and you can enter the info from your extinguisher to see if it is affected by the recall.  Thanks to this thread I know to shake the contents from time to time so they don't settle to the bottom and gunk up the works.

Bill

Many years ago I got one of those stainless steel fire extinguishers that has water and compressed air in it.

I have used it several times and put out some good fires with it.  I refill it and continue to use it to this day.

best dang fire extinguisher in the world.

TonyDtorch said:
Many years ago I got one of those stainless steel fire extinguishers that has water and compressed air in it.

I have used it several times and put out some good fires with it.  I refill it and continue to use it to this day.

best dang fire extinguisher in the world.

Don't even think about using it on a electrical fire.  :eek: ??? If you do, you won't have to worry about doing it again.  :-[ :'( :)(

TonyDtorch said:

We use those  quite extensively at the grain elevator I manage. They are quite handy for wetting down areas where welding and grinding is going to take place after a thorough cleaning has been done. Fortunately we haven't had to use them for any actual fire. Fires at a grain elevator is one of the scariest things that can happen. As stated above, don't use them around electrical systems.

kdbgoat said:
We use those  quite extensively at the grain elevator I manage. They are quite handy for wetting down areas where welding and grinding is going to take place after a thorough cleaning has been done. Fortunately we haven't had to use them for any actual fire. Fires at a grain elevator is one of the scariest things that can happen. As stated above, don't use them around electrical systems.

After I retired from the USAF, I worked in the ag industry for 13 years and most of those involved grain elevators.  We did the same as you mention about wetting things down.  I fully retired in 2003 and that particular grain elevator burned to the ground in 2012.  You don't see many fires in grain elevators that are successfully fought unless they are of modern vintage and have fire suppression systems.

Bill

Rene T said:
Don't even think about using it on a electrical fire.  :eek: ??? If you do, you won't have to worry about doing it again.  :-[ :'( :)(

They may not be recommended for ?electrical fires?, but, are awesome for ?jungle juice? at a Mardi Gras Party!  ;)

I've had this same fire extinguisher since back in High school.......had all kinds of fun driving around blasting kids off of bicycles.

(but,  I don't do that anymore  :D .. )

Rene T said:

Does the fire department have the electricity shut off before they start hosing a house down ?

TonyDtorch said:
Does the fire department have the electricity shut off before they start hosing a house down ?

We use to pull the meter ASAP. Any other times, we just entered the structure and when water hit outlets, it would trip the circuit breakers. Usually it was just the contents burning and not necessarily wiring because that was in the walls. But before opening any walls or ceilings, the meter would have to be pulled or the power company would disconnect power at the pole.

I'd like to bump this thread, as this recall is still ongoing and MANY that I've spoken to about it weren't aware. 

I have three Kidde units in our S&B home and one in the RV.  All were replaced under the recall.  Kidde is handling this well.  Once I filled out the online claim form, I had all of them on my doorstep within a week.  They also include prepaid return labels.  You simply box up the old ones in the packaging that came with the replacements, and send them back to Kidde.  Easy.

If you haven't already checked yours, please do.  Doesn't take long, and could save your property and your life!

Back
Top Bottom