Super C vs Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have thought about looking at used as well.  I am sure if we are careful we could find a nice used unit as well.  We are really leaning toward the Class A. 
Our Class C we have now has been great for our first RV but we would just like to move up a little.  We are going to try not to rush into anything.  Take our time and look around at all of our options.   

How is the handling in a Class A as far as wind and driving on the highway like when a tractor trailer goes by does it move a Class A around a lot?  I know ours is very sensitive to the wind and I guess you could call it the suction when another vehicle (mainly though when a tractor trailer) goes by say like on the Interstate.  I think I will start a separate thread with that question as well.  Hopefully that is ok. 

Thanks guys for all the input.

The better units afore mentioned are quite stable in the wind,compared to C/s  Thats one thing I never liked about a C.  Also to me they always appeared top heavy in comparison.

Shayne said:
The better units afore mentioned are quite stable in the wind,compared to C/s   Thats one thing I never liked about a C.  Also to me they always appeared top heavy in comparison.

Thanks Shayne.  I have written those units down so we can look at them as well.
We had some pretty stiff northeast winds on the way home not too long ago and it felt like we were going to be blown off the road.  That was the windiest we have experienced yet. 
Driving on the highway with traffic wasn't too bad once you got use to it.  You just have to pay attention to what is going on which you should be doing anyway.  This was driving on I95.

We definitely can't afford a high end diesel

Sure you can. A used mid range Diesel pusher in great condition will be easy to find - there are always lots of them on the market. And a single slide or no slide one will not cost more than any new super C - maybe even less. Personally I think you would get a lot more for your money that way.

Putting my money where my mouth is, we bought a used DP last November.

RV Roamer said:
Sure you can. A used mid range Diesel pusher in great condition will be easy to find - there are always lots of them on the market. And a single slide or no slide one will not cost more than any new super C - maybe even less. Personally I think you would get a lot more for your money that way.

Putting my money where my mouth is, we bought a used DP last November.

I will try to include everything in our search then.  We haven't really looked into any diesels.  I figured it would be way out of our reach. 
I have always been a bit nervous about buying used but I guess with the right research and checking everything over throughly we could find a very nice rig. 
How do you like your used DP?
We are just really new at this.  I appreciate everyones help. 

I have always been a bit nervous about buying used but I guess with the right research and checking everything over throughly

Steph, look for maintenance manuals for EVERYTHING and maintenance records.  If there aren't any of these things, be very suspicious.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Steph, look for maintenance manuals for EVERYTHING and maintenance records.  If there aren't any of these things, be very suspicious.

ArdraF

Thanks.  We will do that. 

We had a 2007 "C" with the Ford E450 chassis. We just traded it in for a 2007 Fleetwood Pace Arrow.

Best money I ever spent!!!!

We can actually have a conversation in the A. In the C, we could barely hear the radio, much less think, with all of the racket and noise from the Ford V-10.

The Workhorse chassis is incredible, and rides just as good as my 2007 Volvo 780, with air bags at all corners.

Very happy now, but still eating crow. I took a 10 grand beating dumping the C.

Mike

Steph - I have no C experience but frankly, I'm surprised at the way our 34J Bounder reacts to passing semis. I barely feel it. I'm sure if I had the money and time some posters here have I could mess with the rig and fine tune-it but, to be very honest, I thought the MH would sway a lot, be a bear to drive. Just the opposite. So far, the handling and road-worhthiness seems good to me.

Thanks guys!  Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

Steph -
as owners of a 27' class c Tioga for 10 years, and slowly shopping for a class a for the last 2 years - this is what I've found:
we don't want a lot of length, and nor do we have room in our yard for a 36-40' rig. The 2004-2005 Monaco Cayman (same as Holiday Rambler Neptune) has a model (since discontinued) called a 32 PBD. actually measures just over 33', but has everything I want - diesel pusher, air suspension, 2 slides, and enough room for the 2 of us and our dog.
They retailed about 150-170k, depending on options, but I have seen a few 2005 used ones already selling in the 110-120 range. we're a couple years away from buying, but until I find something comparable, this is the coach I want.
if someone out here knows about these coaches, I sure would appreciate any info about them, and any other brands with similar features, we sure would appreciate it!
good luck in your shopping - it's one of the fun parts of rv'ing - checking all the possibilities, and finding which suits your needs the best.

Steph,My wife and I/ mom and dad had the same problem, class c, or a...then it went to a gas or diesel pusher..We bought a new DP(mainly because of my dad) but there are alot of great units out there under $100,000. I know of 2 country coaches in good shape right now...and about them being Big and not as cozy as a C class...it just takes a few trips to fall in love with them... I had more fun driving to Branson Mo on the twisted 2lane roads than I did on I40..kevin

I just downsized from a 42' tag axle Holiday Rambler Imperial (400K list price) to a 2008 Gulfsteam SuperNova (163K list price).
Here is my opinion (for what it's worth)
I agree with the person who said they are loud in the drivers compartment.  I will be adding sound proofing to quiet it down.
I do like it very much.  It is easy to drive.  My wife would never drive the Holiday Rambler, she said it was too big.  She just drove the Supernova from Hilton Head to Atlanta towing our Honda Pilot. YEAH!
It is a BIG step down to what we are used to, but I am sure there will be less repairs.  Everything in the Holiday Rambler was automatic, which means a  lot more things to go wrong.  Don't get me wrong, the HR is a GREAT coach and when I am an empty nester, with the kids college paid for (my kids are 8 and 11), I'll get another big HR.  For now, the Supernnova is fine.  I have some issues, normal rv issues, and 1 desgn issue.  Gulfstream has been great.  They replaced my rear axle because I felt the gearing was too low.  The diesel v8 was turning 2800 RPMS at 65 mhp.  Gulfstream stepped up to the plate and replaced the rear end at no charge.  The rest of the problems are nomal RV problems, bugs which need to be worked out.  So, to make a long story short, you won't make a mistake buying a SUPER C like a SuperNova over the same pric class A, and it will be easier to drive.  (just a bit louder)

Chuck

cbotwin said:
...Gulfstream has been great.  They replaced my rear axle because I felt the gearing was too low.  The diesel v8 was turning 2800 RPMS at 65 mhp.  Gulfstream stepped up to the plate and replaced the rear end at no charge....
I am amazed that Gulf Stream (or any RV company) would do that.  What's your RPM at 65 mph after the change?

As always I appreciate all the input.  It is very helpful in our decision making.  We are probably a few years out now at this point for what we want and what we can afford to meet comfortably in the middle.  Which is good cause it gives us more time to look at all the different options out there instead of jumping too quick. 

Wow!  All of these posts were so helpful.  I was sure that a coachmen freelander 3100so was the perfect rv for me.  Now, I am looking at class A.  What are some suggestions as to some of the most well built, safe, quality lines? 

this is really interesting topic for me, as this past weekend, I finally got an outside look at a Jayco super c - Seneca I think,
2 slides - looked great. Owner wasn't around, so I just looked at the outside - this may fit my needs also.
Anyone have any experience with this rv?
thanks!
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom