Insulated window failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tippycanoe

Co-pilot window failure makes mirror use almost impossible. I have explored many options (all expensive). Does anyone know if the following idea might work. Using a Dremel drill, carefully try to drill a small hole in the outer panel of the sealed window until it shatters. Hopefully if done gently maybe the inner panel would to also shatter. Then the resulting shards still imbedded in the frame could be removed and the remaining window cleaned for a cheap and easy fix. Does this sound doable?, Has anyone tried something similar.

You are suggesting that one pane be broken out and the remaining left in place and cleaned?  I suppose there is no harm in trying that, as long as you are prepared for the worst.

Actually, it may be usable merely by drilling a few holes. The basic problem is moisture between the panes, and with a few vent holes the fog might clear.

Thanks Gary for the response and also for interpreting my TYPO correctly. You suggest drilling several holes. I have read on this forum eRlier that you cannot drill holes in tempered glass without it shattering ???. Have you tried it or do you know for sure that it can be done. I realize that should I break both panels that I will be talking about a new window to the toon of $878.00 and about 2-3 weeks down time.

Have you contacted an RV window repair place I understand their typical charge to repair windows with moisture in them is about $200 each.

I live on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington. The closest place I have found to address this problem is located just south of Seattle. About 90 miles. They are the ones who gave me the 878.00 figure and that is if I remove the window (frame and all) and deliver to them and then pick it up and re-install. If anyone knows of someplace not too far from me that can so it for a reasonable price I would appreciate the referral .

I haven't tried drilling one, nor do I recommend it. I was just building on your idea to do so. If you can drill one hole, presumably you could drill more, or maybe just a larger one. I think the odds of success are low in any case, though.

$878 seems exorbitant, but maybe it is a special shape or type?  Is it maybe laminated safety glass rather than dual pane (air space in-between)?  Since it blocks a mirror, I'm guessing this is NOT a typical rectangular side window, which is the type that can be refurbished for $200-$250 each.  However, if the shop quoted you replacement glass rather than re-sealing the existing glass, the price will be steep for dual pane glass. I just paid $411 for a 28x42" piece of tinted dual pane glass for my stick house [but that includes labor].

How hard is it to remove the window? Regular RV side windows are pretty simple, but the ones adjacent to the windshield are often more complex. You mentioned a co-pilot window - is it in the entry door?

I would certainly shop around, though I don't know of shops in your region, a quick google search shows multiple listing of shops that specialize in RV glass in Washington state

Well, I have tried it...  :)
I was going to drill a small hole in the inside glass at the bottom and one at the top and blow air thru it..
Using a diamond tip drill for glass I just touched the glass and it exploded in thousands of small pcs...
So after carefully cleaning up all the glass all over the place (and I mean ALL over the place)
I then removed all the remaining glass in the frame, leaving intact the outer pane. 
A good cleaning and we can see the mirror again.....  and truth be told. I dont think
that one window being a single pane now instead of a dual pane thermal makes much difference
in temps inside the MH anyway.. None that we have noticed anyway...

Bob

And then later I found out from a guy who took his window out of the frame, and carefully drilled a small hole
in the seal between the 2 windows and blew air thru the 2 windows to dry them out. then resealed the hole..
But to me, if you are going to do all that much work, I would just take it the rest of the way apart and reseal...

Bob

Replaced all but one of mine with single pane glass. Since there is an enormous windshield in the front I could see no use in double pane glass on the sides and since then I have not nothiced a difference. I'm sure double glazed is cooler and quieter but I dont notice it and surely not worth the extra money.

I had a 2010 Winnebago Journey a while back. Winnie stopped putting dual pane windows next to the drivers seat because of the failures that they were having. I am not sure if they ever resolved that or not.

hedhunter9 said:
Well, I have tried it...  :)
I was going to drill a small hole in the inside glass at the bottom and one at the top and blow air thru it..
Using a diamond tip drill for glass I just touched the glass and it exploded in thousands of small pcs.......

Bob

And in doing this you have discovered exactly what the rescue people do in order to get to someone in a wrecked vehicle. Just a small tap in the correct place is supposed to shatter those windows. The rescue squads all carry a centre-punch like tool for exactly this purpose.

http://www.peninsulaglass.com  in Vancouver,wash has replaced two of my window,each was around $325.00 they do excellent work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom