What insulation under vinyl plank floor???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greyhauler

Removing all carpet and old vinyl from 08 Hurricane. Floor just behind driver and passenger seat get real warm from exhaust heat coming through floor. Any suggestions or what have others used? Plan on installing quality vinyl plank flooring. Thanks in advance.

I used an underlayment that came in a roll and was both an insulator and sound deadener.

I will look up the post and give you the link in a few minutes.

Edit: Here it is http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,69841.msg636238.html#msg636238

I would install an aluminum radiant barrier under any insulation or underlayment.  It will reflect heat back down away from the living space, it works great in home building to keep attic summer heat build up from penetration down into the living space

I would get under the RV and see if there is a space between the exhaust and the floor. If there is, I would put a piece of sheet metal between the pipe and the floor. Also shim it with washers so there's a air space allowing air to remove any heat penetrating the sheet metal.
Or I would go to a auto parts store and I would think they would have something similar to asbestos to wrap the pipe. You can hold it on with hose clamps.

Thank you all! Thinking of some type of insulation but not sure, suggestions really help. Friend has muffler shop, going to see if there are any clamp on shield for exhaust that will for on the 3-4 feet that's causing problem. Would post pics but only have limited tablet. Thanks again.

Started removing old carpet and bad OSB floor. Bummed out when found much of the floor not insulated by Thor- 4 Winds, disappointed. Some is half way insulated with styrofoam panels not fitted to to space other spaces completely empty. No conduit for wiring or such, just really p poor construction. Spray foam insulation may be answer.
Using metal faced bubble wrap insulation under new floor.

Greyhauler said:
Removing all carpet and old vinyl from 08 Hurricane. Floor just behind driver and passenger seat get real warm from exhaust heat coming through floor. Any suggestions or what have others used? Plan on installing quality vinyl plank flooring. Thanks in advance.

If it's a vinyl, contact www.gatorwraps.com. They have the quality vinyl wraps. They also wrap all kinds of crazy things and lettering decals.

I think the OP was referring to Vinyl flooring instead of graphics.

I could however be wrong.

Welcome to the Forum Outdoorfunguy.

By the way, I often miss some key part of a post.  IN this case I did not really realize that engine heat was a part of his concern.  My coach has a rear engine and the only heat I get up front would be from the generator and it does not put out much and rarely runs when going down the road.

Mostly do not let missing something minor like this keep you from posting

???? On Gatorwrap. Concern is heat from exhaust through floor. Now finding really crappy workmanship, poor design and lame construction. Hueypilot, welcome home brother!

"Welcome Home", is a very common salutation between Vietnam Veterans.

The phrase contains a lot of unsaid things and a bond between Nam Vets.

"Welcome Home" to you also Bud.

I was in the middle of the Delta for 2 tours in 69 and 70 at Vinh Long with the 7th of the 1st Cav.  Our callsign was "Blackhawk" .

This was many years before the Blackhawk helicopter was in service.

Huey pilot, Long Binh, Vung Tau, Bearcat, Binh Hoa, and MACV Siagon in 72. Stationed in Long Binh with USARV , repaired everything that moved, wheel and track.

Greyhauler said:
Huey pilot, Long Binh, Vung Tau, Bearcat, Binh Hoa, and MACV Siagon in 72. Stationed in Long Binh with USARV , repaired everything that moved, wheel and track.

For the first 6 months in country, I was in a place called Phuloi near Long Binh and  Binh Hoa. The last 6 months, I spent it a  fire base camp called Katum. 8 miles from Cambodia, 15 miles from any American and built on the Ho Chi Min trail. I was in the artillery at that time, 3rd Bat,  6/15 Artillery. 105 howitzers. We had 2 guns at this camp. We had a small group a Special Forces with us and Cambodian families built right into the bunker line perimeter.

Welcome home Rene T. Our unit had last M-88 tank retriever operated by GIs in RVN. We recovered two T-54s from An Loc, think one is at Abererdeen Proving Grounds, the other Marvin the Arvin shot about 20 times with LAWs, displayed in Saigon. Thoses were the days.

Update on reflooring project: Really P.Oed at dick gore rv in JAX. Had unit there sveral times in past couple of years for check of roof leaks. After tearing out all carpet and vinyl flooring found lots of rotted subfloor. Places that should have been found considering the charges by dick gore. Secondly, four winds, thor construction is pi*# poor, No QC or a blind person does their QC. Replacing all bad subfloor, insulating the voids in the floor, covering holes in metal flooring in drivers/ passengers area and removed convertable sofa bed. Bought foil backed floor underlayment for most of unit. Going with old felt type underlayment in drivers/ passenger area. Using rubber garage type interlocking squares cut to fit under seats and around " doghouse". Seeing friend in JAX that owns vehicle upholstrery shop for installation pointers and for
doghouse cover. Bad back and neck have slowed this quite a bit. Getting ready to hit the road soon.

Bad back has just about stopped all work, now have pinched nerves in both wrists and elbows. Friend with auto upholstry shop is ordering 1 piece of vinyl matting used to make auto floor mats for the front floor, no carpet. 6'x 8' that he will custom fit, foil backed bubble wrap type underlayment. Amazed at construction of this rv, sheet steel pieces just screwed together for the floor under driver and passenger. Patched a 1" x 2" hole where floor plates didnt meet, no wonder it was noisy.
Now for the big question. Anyone used the radiant floor heating wire mesh that at least two mfgs sell?? Both " claim" it can be glued to plywood or OSB underlayment AND it works under vinyl plank flooring. Thinking of just getting the bedroom and bathroom floors done. Nice to have warm floor in the winter.
After looking at all the vinyl flooring at Lowes, Home Depo and Floor Decor , going with US made Mohawk that son can get at cost. Looking like
may get front floor finished and drive to Roanoke and let sons installers do the rest.
Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom