advice Help on what to buy- double and triple trailering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncoburn

My husband I are about to start Full-time Rving and are trying to decide how to go. We currently have a 32 ft. travel trailer and Surburban we pull it with. We also have a 25 foot ski boat (overall with trailer) we want to bring along. We are considering buying a Class C motorhome and would love to be able to pull both boat and car. My husband is very good at trailering. We are also considering a fifth wheel and double towing. Boat and trailer are about 3500 lbs.Any advice? I have heard that the only state that would give us trouble on length would be Arizona. Any experience with this? Help!

I think you need to conduct more research on double towing laws: it is prohibited in more states than it is allowed.

Some states only allow double towing with a fifth wheel. In any event, a Class C probably won't have towing capacity for a car and boat trailer.

28 states allow some form of double trailers, aka "triple towing"  [the "triple" comes from tow vehicle plus double trailers}, but details vary substantially. There are various restrictions on overall length, licensing, type of trailer, etc. This site has a brief overview:

http://rvlife.com/rv-triple-towing-laws/

You are also limited by the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of the tow vehicle and the receiver hitch weight rating. Some C's have a substantial GCWR but may have only a 5000 lb receiver.

If you consider a FW it doesn't seem that you could pull a 25' boat and stay under 65 ' which is a common max length in many states. There is no way to tow a boat and a car. A couple states do allow a bumper pull to also have something behind it but you wouldn't have an rv with you so that's no good. . Read up on double towing before you do anything. Some states dont allow it at all and some have restrictions or special lic requirements.  In theory you could put a small car in a FW toyhauler and also pull a boat but again, you would be over 65' and need a minimum of a dually and more likely a medium duty.

You also have to look at each state as far as the boat is concerned because some require brakes after 3,000 pounds so even pulling the boat behind a motor home may be an issue.

Example: Short bed pick up, 29' FW, 12' utility trailer(2,990 gvw no brakes required) = 63'

Back
Top Bottom