Slide Topper..Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ysidive

Looking to install a slide topper on my Coachmen Freedom Express travel trailer... Anyone had experience with Carefree or Dometic... The ones that I am considering are The Carefee Cover King III or the Dometic Elite... Any input as to either of these would be appreciated.....

The Carefee Cover King III or the Dometic Elite..

Would that be the Carfree Slide Out Kover III? Coverking is a brand of automobile and seat covers and I don't think they do slide toppers.

It's pretty much a toss-up, I think. Carefree uses a good fabric, especially if you get the [more expensive] woven acrylic instead of the vinyl, but they have had problems in the past with the stitches rotting away after several years. Hopefully they have resolved that problem by now, but it may be more years before that is proven.  The Dometic works decently but [in my opinion] has a shorter useful life than the Carefree.  Much depends on usage and the weather they are exposed to, though, so hard to generalize.

Unlike awnings slide toppers are kind of basic,  A spring wound roller rolls up when you pull the slide in and unrolls when you extend. I am not sure I could recommend one over another save for fabric used, I'd avoid vinyl. go with canvas..  PS.. I just tore one off the RV.. Accidentaly.. Yesterday.  I think I can fix it with or without help but well I'm still recovering from my semi-annual long drive (Got about 50 yards to go today. Change site. on a temp site last night) so it will be a few days before the Round Tuit strikes.

Gary's suggestion of woven acrylic sounds interesting. Never had that kind so can not comment on it but it sounds ideal. 

Back
Top Bottom