No Click, No Start... Stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alumbaugh89

Hello Everyone!

So, I am new to the RV world - I just purchased a 1989 Ford Tioga from a lady who didn't know much about the RV (claimed through her divorce) We started it right up and it idled for 5 minutes or so and then had decided to wait to move it until the next day.  It would not start like previously, and needed to be jumped. That was able to get it fired up as soon as we connected it to my car.

I planned on driving to a mechanic to have the engine tuned up/oil change and anything else needed, but unfortunately the motor home died on me 3 miles down the road. I put it in park and tried to start it but am now not getting anything at all. There is one loud click as soon as you turn the key on to acc mode but when trying to start i get nothing - no clicking at all. 

I had to have it towed to my parking spot where it sits now and I am lost at where to begin on troubleshooting this. I do know that it had sit for months prior, and i noticed an extreme amount of corrosion on the battery terminals on both batteries. Could this be it?

Would gratefully appreciate any advice on how I can get her running again....

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 36
First step:  clean battery terminals and try again.
2nd step: If problem is still there -  Get new batteries.

Sounds like the first problem to deal with is lack of battery power, so try to charge that battery, or probably just go ahead and replace it sinc eit is of unknown age & condition.  The fact that the engine died inexplicably while driving also suggests that the alternator is not working, since it would normally provide enough 12v to keep the engine running.  It may have further issues, but I would start with what you know is bad.

i appreciate the tip... do you recommend that i use liquid cleaner or should I just use a wire brush? IS there any order that i must follow, since there are multiple batteries and seems more complex then what I am use to?

Thanks,

and GO CARDS!!!! =D

Since the emergency battery start didn't work either, will i most likely have to replace both batteries?

Take a picture of the battery and connections BEFORE you disconnect them.That way you have a reference to goback to when you reconnect....and double check!! It is always good to wash the area with baking soda and water to neutralize andy acid and when brushing do not get any of the dust in your eyes or mouth.
Clean with a stiff wire brush or scrape with a sharp instrument until the posts and connectors are shiney. The same applies to terminal lugs if those were used......good luck

Since the emergency battery start didn't work either, will i most likely have to replace both batteries?

Hard to say with the limited info provided so far.  We can't tell if the battery(s) are just low on charge or totally defunct, but chances are both batteries have been neglected, even if they aren't all that old.

I'm guessing the chassis battery is bad because it didn't charge up much, but if the engine alternator is bad or the wiring corroded, that would be expected.  You really need to get under the hood and down to basics, making sure you have reliable 12v power and grounding. Without that, many things can act flaky and drive you nuts trying to figure out what is really wrong.

do you recommend that i use liquid cleaner or should I just use a wire brush?

Baking soda dissolved in water, along with a wire brush, will work well. Gently pour some water solution on each terminal -- you'll see it bubble and the greenish stuff will partially disappear. After a bit, apply a little more of the solution, 'til the green stuff is mostly gone, Most auto parts stores sell a battery post cleaner that will wrap around the post and also will have a small wire brush to fit inside the terminal on the cable -- these tools work well. A wire brush is fine, except that you might not get it inside the terminal to clean off the contact area.

After doing that, some no-ox or other anti-oxidant (usually a black, almost grease-like compound in a tube) applied to the posts and terminals will reduce the chances of further buildup. After you're done, it might be good to apply a little of the baking soda solution to the wire brush/cleaning device just to be sure there's no residue to damage the tool.

Clean all posts and terminals on all batteries. Reconnect everything.

Plug in your wheelhouse to shore power overnight to charge the house battery, place a battery charger on the chassis battery.

well the chassis battery was dead, i replaced it and now have dashlights but still no cranking at all just one initial click when trying to turn the key.

Or ... the terminals and fittings not cleaned, both sides. And while you are at it, find the ground side either on the chassis or engine and clean that up too. Also check the + side right down to the starter for being both clean and tight.

May have to clean the connections at the starter too. I had a similar situation.....turned the key on ( in park / emergency brake on) got under the engine and crossed the connection at the starter and fired it up....got me home...

ok i will check the starter connection next. here are pics of the way things were setup when i bought it..

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 31
Buy a terminal cleaning brush, draw a wiring diagram, get to work and clean the terminals. Have the battery(s) checked and charged, put it back together and start it up. Do the chassis grounds while you are at it.

Needs to be done in any case, and you will have eliminated that problem area. From the photos, the fact that it started at all is a good sign!

Times i have seen a gassing batteries wicking threw the cables, look closely at the cables esp. + for acid contamination . Will cause problems aka Voltage drop.

Alumbaugh89 said:
ok i will check the starter connection next. here are pics of the way things were setup when i bought it..

If these pictures are the way they were when you purchased the rig, I don't see a lot of corrosion unless you already cleaned them. If that's the way they look now, it wouldn't hurt to disconnect all the cables and clean everything real good then reconnect.  Always disconnect the negative side first then the positive side. Reverse that procedure when reconnecting. Positive first then negative.

How old are the batteries? Looking at the second picture, the date of purchased is shown by the small month and year stickers being removed. Can't tell on the other battery.
Have you checked the water level in them?  Use distilled water to fill them up.

BOTH BATTERIES ARE 2+ YEARS OLD AND ONE OF THEM WAS DEAD AND WOULD NOT CHARGE BACK UP. I SWAPPED IT WITH A NEW ONE AND CHARGED THE HOUSE BATTERY. AFTER THAT I NOTICED I HAD DASH LIGHTS AGAIN UNLIKE BEFORE, HOWEVER STILL STUCK IN SAME ISSUE. AM GOING TO SEEK WIRE DIAGRAM SO THAT I CAN TRY TO TRACE BACK EVERYTHING PROPERLY

Back
Top Bottom