Want to confirm towing check-list to prevent possible toad damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jschmelzer

We just towed our 2012 Subaru Impreza (manual AWD transmission) behind our Winnebago Vista for the first time. Not very far, about 20 miles from the RV dealership to the RV storage site. Would like to confirm check-list since we're new RVers and have never towed a car before.

We have the SMI brakes and the RoadMaster Blackhawk All-Terrain hitch.

Per the Subaru manual, after hooking up the Subaru, 1) disengaged the emergency break, 2) stick in neutral, 3) key in 'ACC', 4) SMI switch to the 'on' position, 5) adjusted the rear mirror

Does this look correct?

Thanks John

Stop reading if not interested in our Subaru blowing a clutch just hours after towing for first time...

Most likely unrelated and just a coincidence, but our Subaru blew a clutch and starter just hours after towing. We're not mechanical, but my wife and I had a conversation while waiting for AAA whether improper towing could damage the clutch in addition to the transmission. My mechanic says no, but we're novices to RVing and Towing.

After towing the Subaru about 20 miles, we drove the Subaru about 129 miles home and the clutch went out just near the exit off Hwy 280 where we live. Happened after driving thru stop-n-go traffic for 30-45 minutes.

My mechanic says that it was not unusual given the Subaru has about 69K miles and we drive up/down Hwy 9 quite a bit - about 20 miles round-trip and 2300' elevation difference between the house and town.

At least we got home safely and the Subaru did not break down 100s of miles away from a good mechanic.

1) disengaged the emergency break, 2) stick in neutral, 3) key in 'ACC', 4) SMI switch to the 'on' position, 5) adjusted the rear mirror

1: Normal
2: Normal
3: Why?? There has to be a reason!! Perhaps to power up the 'lighter' socket??
4: SMI switch  OK but wise to check on it's install and correct functioning while you're at it...
5: Why??

Connect and then check the Stop, Tail, and turn signal light operation??

I think the clutch blew because the rear view mirror wasn't adjusted correctly.  ;D 

But seriously, the only thing I could think of that would be related to towing is if the transmission was left in gear.  As long as the transmission was in neutral, the clutch would not be turning.  So I agree with the mechanic, just coincidence.

Did the mechanic say what part of the starter broke?  The only relationship the starter has with the clutch is where the starter gear engages the flywheel and the throw out mechanism .  I guess the clutch material could damage that part of the starter.

After I connect the toad I pull the motorhome forward slowly while my wife does a walk around and makes sure ALL the wheels are turning on the toad and the lights are working. Don't ask why.

Curious about adjusting the mirror. I just checked on Remco and it says your car is towable as is so perhaps the clutch was just an oddity but I wonder if the car was in gear.

You wouldn't know if it was in gear because you can pull a toad with the emergency brake set and you won't feel it. I know.

Alfa38User said:
1: Normal
2: Normal
3: Why?? There has to be a reason!! Perhaps to power up the 'lighter' socket??
4: SMI switch  OK but wise to check on it's install and correct functioning while you're at it...
5: Why??

Connect and then check the Stop, Tail, and turn signal light operation??

No. 3 would likely be to unlock the steering wheel. And I also wonder "Why?" to number 5...

jschmelzer, I don't think you did anything wrong. Just a suggestion on putting the car in neutral. If you did this with the motor running you would know instantly if it was in gear when you let out the clutch.
Arch, I know what you mean. This spring when I was in Chandler AZ, I had to run after and stop some one who was dragging his CR-V while it was in park. Fortunately for both of us it was a short distance and he was on gravel.
Bill

Thank you. My gut told me we did nothing wrong, but I had sudden panic attack after remembering that Subaru overrode their 2012 owners manual and told me not to tow the Impreza with all four wheels down - especially just after towing the Subaru for the first time. Feel better now.

Don't know why Subaru says key in 'ACC' position.

I meant to say adjusted the MH rear camera, not rear mirror, so I can see when our toad is clear of obstacles when making turns and switching lanes. That statement certainly shows that I am a newbie and using wrong words! My wife almost always spots me when I am backing up so I assume that adjusting the rear camera further away from the MH is a reasonable idea.

jschmelzer said:
Thank you. My gut told me we did nothing wrong, but I had sudden panic attack after remembering that Subaru overrode their 2012 owners manual and told me not to tow the Impreza with all four wheels down - especially just after towing the Subaru for the first time. Feel better now.

Don't know why Subaru says key in 'ACC' position.

I meant to say adjusted the MH rear camera, not rear mirror, so I can see when our toad is clear of obstacles when making turns and switching lanes. That statement certainly shows that I am a newbie and using wrong words! My wife almost always spots me when I am backing up so I assume that adjusting the rear camera further away from the MH is a reasonable idea.

ACC unlocks the steering wheel.  Unless you towed the car while it was in gear, no relationship to blowing the clutch out, its still a curious coincidence when I think I have driven well in excess of  500,000 miles over the years with a manual transmission and never had a clutch issue , replaced at clutch as it had 175,000 miles on it more for convenience as the throwout bearing needed replacement

That rear camera should be adjusted for several things.  First is so you can look down the back of the motorhome in case there's something you should see when backing such as a child or tree stump.  Then it should go far enough back so you can see the length of the toad.  Ours is set so we also can see some of the next lane when we're changing lanes.  It's good to know that semi you're passing really is behind your toad!  It sometimes takes a while to get it right and I suppose it also depends on the camera's field of view length and width.  We like our current one better than our previous one because it has better coverage.

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom