Extended Warranty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khansen

Hi everyone,  my husband and I just bought a brand new TT - a 2018 Forest River EVO and we are doing the paperwork and finalizing it all tomorrow.  I was wondering if we should consider the extended warranty or if thats a waste of money?  Thanks in advance.. First of many questions I am sure I will have..  Neither of us has ever owned one of these.  Excited!!!

In my estimation "extended warrantees" are a complete waste of money.

I have never gotten one on any thing we bought and never will

Jack L

Ordinarily, I'd agree with Jack.  I always felt those extended warranties were a rip off.
However, my bro-in-law bought a coach with an extended warranty a little over 5 years ago.  As the warranty period came close to the end, he returned to the dealer with a veritable shopping list of stuff that needed done.  The warranty covered every little nit picking thing on his list except the windshields, which were covered by his other insurance.  He got over $8k worth of work done for one $100 deductible from the warranty company and a $250 deductible for the windshields.
So, now my answer to this question is "some warranties are not a waste of money at all".

My opinion- no extended warranty, no on upholstery treatment, and no on exterior treatment. Personally, the only time I would consider an extended warranty is if I had a diesel pusher.

They can be valuable - not on the average, but they can work for you. READ the contract!  READ it again.  How familiar are you with the different RV systems and how inclined are you to learn and work on those systems?  If you are able to do the work yourself (saving the labor part of repairs) that's a big plus in your favor for NO extended warranty.
I used to feel the same as many, here, have expressed - absolutely no $$$ towards extended service/warranty plans; I can do it myself.  Well, I am a bit older now, and the systems of the MH we purchased are pretty extensive and expensive and my capabilities are diminished from what they once were - so we paid the $$$ for it all!  Roadside Assistance, Tire & wheel service (has already paid paid for itself) extended service plan, etc.  We have a way better feeling of preparedness when we head out on a trip, and that has a lot of value to us.
Good luck with your decision and hope you enjoy your new RV.

I do agree with the roadside assistance. Before spending money on a separate program, check your insurance policies to see if you are already paying for roadside assistance with your insurance company. If so, talk with your agent to see exactly what you are getting. That coverage may be all you need, or you may want to cancel that coverage and get a separate roadside assistance program. There's no need to pay twice for the same coverage.

They can be really tricky especially on the exclusions. So read and ask questions.  But I advise against.  Put a set amount away each month for repairs.  If you need them, you will have at least some of the cash or will be acquiring it in due time.  But a travel trailer is a lot less of a money pit than a motorhome and if you are capable of doing some of the maintenance you save the labor charges.

Khansen said:
Hi everyone,  my husband and I just bought a brand new TT - a 2018 Forest River EVO and we are doing the paperwork and finalizing it all tomorrow.  I was wondering if we should consider the extended warranty or if thats a waste of money?  Thanks in advance.. First of many questions I am sure I will have..  Neither of us has ever owned one of these.  Excited!!!

Congratulations on your new RV.

When I bought our current coach it was a 10 year old diesel with lots of things that could be very expensive to fix. After much hand wringing I opted for the best extended warranty available. It was expensive, $5000. Over the last couple years the warranty has covered almost $8000 in repairs. Further, I have been extremely happy with the warranty company, which has covered every claim without argument, a couple of which I didn?t think would be covered. I still have about 9 months remaining on the plan so obviously for me the warranty was a good decision. That said, I would recommend against it in your case. Many of my repairs were chassis and drivetrain related, something you don?t have to worry about. With the exception of the fridge (which should last you 10-15 years or more) there just aren?t enough expensive ?house? related items that typically break and are expensive enough to make an extended warranty worthwhile. With a new unit any items that are faulty from the beginning should be covered under the existing warranty.

Sun2Retire said:
Further, I have been extremely happy with the warranty company, which has covered every claim without argument, a couple of which I didn?t think would be covered. 

Scott, who provides the warranty coverage.  We purchased a one year Good Sam warranty when we got the Pace Arrow.  The previous owner also had a Good Sam policy and used it within 6 months of ownership to replace the transmission, $8,000.00.  Don't know how much, if any, difficulty he had with the company when he presented the claim. 

Normally I don't buy warranties, but after owning a new 2005 Ford F250 Diesel, I purchased two extended warranties for an additional 6 years protection.  Estimated warranty repairs for the F250 over an 11 year period about $12,000.  Labor costs have increased significantly over the years and the sophistication of the newer vehicles can push the repair costs through the roof. 

Please understand that it is insurance and not in any sense a "warranty". Insurance will help pay for [some] unexpected high cost repairs. If you have several of those high cost items that need fixing, insurance is very valuable but not otherwise. And there are many, many things not covered, or not adequately covered, in even the best RV repair insurance.

There are very few high cost repairs likely on a travel trailer that would actually be covered by repair insurance, despite the hype about failing a/c or fridges. Rarely is a repair insurance plan a good deal on those. And upholstery and tire coverage is usually a waste as well.

If you feel that you want this type of insurance for "peace of mind", I suggest shopping around. The contracts offered by RV dealers are usually high priced and sometimes less than ideal coverage as well. You can shop around and buy an "extended warranty" any time in the first year (up to the end of the manufacturer's warranty period) and almost surely get a better price and maybe better coverage. Do not let the dealer pressure you into a quick decision. This is not your only or last opportunity.

What Gary said. Warranty covers defects in workmanship or materials which usually show up in the first few months of use. the so called extended plans are just insurance and a big money maker for the dealer considering what is actually paid out. Put the premiums in your own bank account and pay as needed, you will come out ahead of the game.

I never buy extended warranties but we did on our TT. Mostly we are retired and I don't believe RVs are built like they used to be. It is mostly an insurance policy to us for big ticket items like fridge, water heater, furnace. A lot of repairs to fridges have to remove slide to get in. At 130.00 an hour shop time.. would not take long to rack up a bill. Our warranty is deductible free If we take to one of their 3 dealerships, otherwise a 200.00 see.

Rv is new.. so cross ur fingers, our insurance policy is still in effective.

We decided to get it, basically we were financially able and for my husband the piece of mind was worth it.  We got it for 6 years and unless they lied it was only $100 more than their cost (so they said).  It seemed to be a legit locally owned place that has been in business for a very long time so hopeful they were as honest as they seem.  We took our dogs today when we went to finalize things and they liked it...  :)
Now we wait for out training and pickup.  Thanks for all the advise..

JackL said:
In my estimation "extended warrantees" are a complete waste of money.

I have never gotten one on any thing we bought and never will

Jack L

I bought the extended warranty, AKA Mopar Vehicle Protection  "Maximum Care", from Chrysler when I bought my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. IIRC, it cost about $2,200 for the policy.

I've only had the vehicle a little over two and a half years, and I can assure you Chrysler has already shelled out more than $2,200 on repairs, towing, rental cars,and trip Interruption costs.

This due to multiple mechanical problems with the vehicle. Including two separate breakdowns in remote areas well away from my home. 

I originally had a $100 deductible. But after the first few problems, I browbeat them into a $0 deductible.

So, extended warranties are not always a waste of money.  ;)

702Rubi said:
I bought the extended warranty, AKA Mopar Vehicle Protection  "Maximum Care", from Chrysler when I bought my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. IIRC, it cost about $2,200 for the policy.

I've only had the vehicle a little over two and a half years, and I can assure you Chrysler has already shelled out more than $2,200 on repairs, towing, rental cars,and trip Interruption costs.

This due to multiple mechanical problems with the vehicle. Including two separate breakdowns in remote areas well away from my home. 

I originally had a $100 deductible. But after the first few problems, I browbeat them into a $0 deductible.

So, extended warranties are not always a waste of money.  ;)

Maybe Jeep Wranglers are waste of money.  :D

Insurance, which includes all extended warranties, is about pooling risk. By it's very nature, some few will benefit greatly and the rest will help pay the losses of the few.  The only real question is whether you will be among the few or the many.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Insurance, which includes all extended warranties, is about pooling risk. By it's very nature, some few will benefit greatly and the rest will help pay the losses of the few.  The only real question is whether you will be among the few or the many.

Hence the whole premise for insurance. If everyone that had insurance used it to it's capacity, insurance companies would go out if business. When I hear folks say they bought X insurance and luckily they have not had to use it my first thought is yeah, you just paid for some other guys repairs. Insurance is just a big gamble. It seems every time you buy something, no matter how small or inexpensive, an extended warranty is offered. I wish restaurants and movie theaters would offer them. It would be nice to buy an extended warranty for a meal or a movie and at the end say "i didn't really enjoy that" and get some or all of your money back.

Back
Top Bottom