Water filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bagelboy

I travel in winter, and make 6 or so trips back and forth to Florida. When I am on my way back, I stop in the Virginia area and winterize my fresh water system and lines. Unfortunately, I'm still confused on the water filter hookup. I tried running fresh water through the system once I get to warmer climates. I run it for a while, until there is no more antifreeze evident. I go down and change the filter, and run fresh water through again. But when brushing teeth or taking a shower, it seems like there is still a little antifreeze taste. Should I remove the dirty filter prior to running fresh water, than put in a clean filter?

You should be changing any filter every so often anyway. My whole house drinking water filter under the counter is replaced each fall when we arrive in Florida for the winter. The old one was removed the previous spring after 5 months use.  Although I don't need to 'winterize'  each spring using antifreeze, we do go through a similar exercise draining everything.  I would never run antifreeze through any filter element.

In our case, the water feed to the filter can be turned off so antifreeze does not enter. The water line feeding the filter output to the ice maker has its own low point drain.

Remove the filter cartridge before putting antifreeze in.  Put a new filter in when getting ready to use the system again, unless it's only been out a short time and you know it's still clean. There is no practical way to flush antifreeze out of a filter, and no need to filter when the system is winterized.

It sometimes takes multiple flushes to get residual antifreeze taste out. A flush using baking soda can help, though. An alternative to to avoid antifreeze altogether and use the air-blowout method. That would certainly be my choice if I was winterizing/de-winterizing more than once a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyjFAFFe7xs
https://www.reserveamerica.com/outdoors/how-to-winterize-an-rv.htm

An alternative to to avoid antifreeze altogether and use the air-blowout method.

Except with Aqua Hot/Oasis -- the manual points out that air doesn't sufficiently get all the water out of the tiniest places, so antifreeze is needed on the hot water side (still can use air on cold side).

Back
Top Bottom