Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauleman

so about a month ago My wife Jean and I found a used Monaco La Palma not far from us in Menifee Cal.. we live in El Cajon.... negotiations led to a sale and about two weeks ago we drove up with a cashiers check to close the deal with the owner at his credit union... after phone conversations with the credit union and being told a cashiers check would be fine we arrived at the union and were confronted by employees that had that "deer in the headlights " look... I guess they never had anyone pay off a loan on a vehicle... so they decided a cashiers check was still a check and would not close the deal till the check cleared after 10 days... I guess so they could delay as long as possible... anyway fast forward to yesterday which was the 9th working day since the payoff and off to Menifee to pick up the motor home.... well the title had not yet arrived and never did so we spent the morning with the owner learning how to arrive, set up, and take down the coach...I think we have most of it down after reading all the info in the owners packet and yesterdays learning experience... still a little confused on 50 amp 30 amp inverter, converter , generator electric stuff but I'll figure it out eventually... got a call from the owner, who is a great guy and very helpful, that the title will be delivered on Monday, which is the 10th working day since the useless credit union cleared the check.. so now we pick the coach up on wed of next week...gettin excited...

There have been problems with phony cashier's checks, but 10 days?  That is way out of line - even personal checks clear at that rate.. Oh well, no way to do anything about it once they dig their heels in.

Ask questions here about shore power, inverter, generator, etc. - we can help. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's not really difficult. Check the RVforum Library for helpful newbie info as well.

Had a business years ago and saw a $10,000 cashiers check bounce. Ain't worth the paper they are written on as far as I'm concerned.

Wire transfer is good.

I have a La Palma, what year and model is yours? 

thanks Gary... have been reading here quite a bit.... Arch, its a 34 foot La Palma SBD... cummins diesel...2008 model... Only down thing I can say about it so far is some of the clear coat is coming off above the windshield... I suppose that's fixable but it wasn't a deal breaker as I could see....actually his credit union cleared the check three days after we presented it but we were told the title would come from DMV in 7-10 days and of course this coming monday is the 10th working day.... figures.... i wasn't aware the DMV held titles on vehicles financed but I guess they do....

My guess is the credit union lost the physical title paper and had to file for a duplicate from the DMV.

Sold my Harley on eBay when I lived in the U.K. Guy showed up with a van, some ramps and a wad of British pounds. Signed the title over to him and helped him load it up. Easiest sale I've ever had. Except when it came to the 22% British tax I had to pay because the bike was purchased in the US and sold in England. Still ended up with almost what I paid for the bike in the States. Glad he didn't show up with a check.

yes Lou, these people at the credit union were totally without a clue on this...the teller instantly called the manager who was as clueless as she was and had to call his home office to find out what to do... it's a credit union in Menifee Cal.. which is near temecula... The owner has said he's done with them and is taking his money out....speaking of Harleys we now have two for sale so that we can get a Jeep to tow behind the La Palma... It's one of those forks in the road that life throws in your path.. but we are really looking forward to this new style of camping with our grandkids and daughter.... we've got tons of camping gear accumulated over the years and I airplane camp in the back country of Idaho for two weeks every summer.. it will be nice to see some of the country I fly over up close...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom