New Airstream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

Oldgator73

Just got an email from Airstream announcing their new Globtrotter 27' TT. Man it is nice. Told the wife we need to get one. And it is only $99,900 for a 27 footer.

Hard to pass up a deal like that!  ;)

Definitely a lovely rig if you like the Airstream brand of styling (inside and out). And they do build an excellent rig.

Not much storage in an Airstream for a full timer.  My old man didn't buy one back in the '60's for that very reason(and we were just weekend warriors back then), and I can't see they've changed much over the years in that regard.  They are nice, though.

I was actually being facetious. I've always admired Airstreams but could never justify the cost.

Old_Crow said:
Not much storage in an Airstream for a full timer.  My old man didn't buy one back in the '60's for that very reason(and we were just weekend warriors back then), and I can't see they've changed much over the years in that regard.  They are nice, though.

True, but a reasonable chance that 60s Airstream would still be in the family today. Or somebody?s family!

Old Racer said:
True, but a reasonable chance that 60s Airstream would still be in the family today. Or somebody?s family!

That would be a great heirloom.

interesting...My son and I were at the Airstream dealer yesterday.

He wants to buy an Airstream and use it as his full time travel home/office for his work.  We knew they were expensive but after going through the whole sales pitch and seeing all the different construction features... I admit it, I was impressed.

The salesman informed us that even the biggest Airstream on lot,  can be towed with a Ford F150. ( please don't let that start a safe towing war ).  and,  it is a 25% improvement in gas mileage over a square sided trailer. 

They have improved and updated the trailers with more cleaver storage cabinets and under bed storage , they have bluetooth mics and led lighting, ducted air conditioning.

I came to the conclusion that an Airstream trailer is a near perfect unit.... for a single man.

The one he wants is around $80k.  So I went online to find a good late model used one and I found out,  nobody ever sells a slightly used newer Airstream..it's either new,  or 1970.

Tony,

This is a weight police officer checking in.  The BIGGEST Airstream has a GVWR of 10,000#.  The one you are considering is smaller and lighter.  Even at 10,000#, this is about 1,000# - 1,200# hitch weight.  For a single driver in the cab, even with a few hundred pounds in the bed, you should still be in great shape.

There is no reason to yell.  A F150 will handle the job.

Big mistake me looking at Airstreams again. Might have to dip into investments while the DW ain't looking.

Oldgator73 said:
Big mistake me looking at Airstreams again. Might have to dip into investments while the DW ain't looking.

The resale value makes it a bit easier to pull the trigger.

TonyDtorch said:
The resale value makes it a bit easier to pull the trigger.

I'm too old to worry about resale. Be more like inheritance for one of the kids. Hope your son gets the one he wants. I'm I bit envious.

I've been looking for afordable  Used late model Airstreams ......I found this one !... :p

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/d/2014-airstream-flying-cloud/6378169912.html

A little hammer and dolly work and a few rivets...it will be as good as new! ;D

TonyDtorch said:
I've been looking for afordable  Used late model Airstreams ......I found this one !... :p

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/d/2014-airstream-flying-cloud/6378169912.html

Unlike most it did hold together well.

Airstreams are/were very nice trailers.  The new ones do not appeal to me on the interior.  Back in the day I worked part time at a small RV custom manufacturer and repair shop.  We converted hearses to motorhomes and even put some coaches on new Dodge chassis.  One day the boss trucked in an Avion travel trailer that had been hit in the bathtub by a dump truck.  He got it for salvage and over the period of a few months we got it repaired back to 'good as new' status with a lot of help from the Avion factory.  I couldn't resist that trailer and bought it for my family.  It was a  real beauty for pulling.  You truly did not know it was back there and was extremely comfortable living with a nice floorplan except for the dining area which was just a couch across the front with a table set up in front of it.  Wound up trading it in on a new Winnebago Indian motorhome in about 1973 or 74 but I have always thought that Avion was the best travel trailer we ever had and I have to say that the Airstream exterior styling would be just as great for towing.

Bill

Yes, The interiors have that European or aircraft austerity going on,

but it's nice to see something different from the usual faux stone and oak English manor interior of the RVs being built today. 

Back
Top Bottom