Wastewater elbow heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my question, but I just want to confirm: I have four stick-on elbow heaters on my wastewater drains (three of them are Ultraheat EH 313) and four unlabeled switches beneath the bed (below the two Tank Heater switches). Seems obvious. I suspect that these heaters are not thermostatted, and should only be turned on when it is damn cold and when I'm about to drain the tanks. Am I correct?

Thanks for your feedback.

Googled up: EH313.....pretty easy.

Thermostatically controlled
On at 44 F
Off at 66 F
Volts: 13.5
Amps: 1.8
Watts: 24.3

http://www.hannarv.com/P/UltraHeatEH313Heaterfor3DrainageElbow/12738

Safe travels...................

I would suggest double checking that information, I thought only the flat tank pads were thermostatically controlled and the pipe and elbow pads were not.

see http://www.ultraheat.com/ultraheat-am-eh313-rv-pipe-elbow-heater

You're spot on, Issac-1.  The pipe and elbow heaters do not have thermostats inside. Here's some "FAQ" info from the heater manufacturer's site; i.e., Ultra Heat.

Do UltraHeat? Pipe and Elbow Heaters work with sensors?
Pipe and Elbow Heaters do not have a built-in sensor to control when they activate and deactivate once powered ?on? like the tank heater models.  They are either ?on? or ?off? all the time.
Pipes have smaller volumes of fluid, and changes in temperature will occur much faster and many more times within a shorter period than in a large volume holding tank. They would be turning "on/off" all the time, with no advantage in the energy savings we see in our RV Tank Models. As the temperature drops, testing has proven that it's best to just throw continuous heat at the pipes. 
If you are concerned about energy conservation, while it will not eliminate the need for a manual ?on/off? switch, consider our ?Ambient Temperature Master Power Control Kit?.  It will only activate the entire system when outside temperatures drop to 35?F (1.7?C) and deactivate the system once it recognizes a rise to 45?F (7.2?C).

Evidently the folks at Hanna Trailer Supply (the site I found via Google) did a little too much "cut and pasting" in their ad for the elbow heaters?

I actually have one of these (and 2 tank heaters [with stats] for the gray and black tanks) so this info on the elbow heater is good to know.  None of mine work (no power to them when the switch is thrown) and Winnebago wasn't able to help me find the relay that is supposed to provide power.  The wiring diagram describes the location, but there is no relay there.  If I ever get "round tuit" I want to run a separate feed to each heater with an ammeter in each feed so I will know that all 3 are working.  As designed, I only have a red light on a switch where it says "Tank Heaters" .... but that's just a "warm fuzzy".  If any one of them is not drawing current, I would sure want to know that. 

IMHO, another + for the Class A's with their heated wet bays ........ and usually easy to add supplemental/backup heat.

Good catch ................

Safe travels.................

Thanks for the information, folks. (And sorry for the delay. With as warm as this winter has been, I only turned the tank heaters on for a couple of nights, and the elbow heaters not at all.)

Back
Top Bottom