EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Radio and battery question, class A  (Read 187 times)

Wendy Lou

• ---
Radio and battery question, class A
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:14:59 PM »
We have a 2006 Tiffin Allegro class A. The radio in the console provides sound to speakers throughout.  It would make sense to me that we can use the radio/DV player while camped without depleting the engine battery.  Does the radio pull from the coach battery or the engine?
I can always pack up my Bose for trips otherwise, husband doesn't want to drain engine battery.

Wendy Lou co-pilot
Fallbrook Ca

RedandSilver

• ---
Re: Radio and battery question, class A
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »
When you say "console" are you talking about the dash area where the driver has access to the radio while driving?
If so, that one is usually run via the chassis batteries as the key needs to be turned for it to work.

2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
I don't know how your rig is wired, but at least some coaches have a switch to change between the two. Of course many don't have that switch (I suppose your doesn't), so it's probably wired to the house. If so, one of the house fuses should be protecting it (remove the fuse and see).

If so, that one is usually run via the chassis batteries as the key needs to be turned for it to work.

That's not true for all coaches, especially class As, though many class Cs may be wired that way.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:11:52 PM »
On many motor homes there is a switch may be marked Radio, Main/Aux  Aux is house

And many late model motor homes the converter charges both house and engine batteries.. If that is it works (Mine failed last week, works like new now.. Is new..well factory rebuilt).

But look for the switch.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:06:33 AM »
Be careful.  My class A has the switch, but it merely bypasses the ignition switch and still supplies power to the radio from the chassis battery.  Found that out the hard way first time we parked for a week and ran the battery down. 
I just got a cheap, Harbor Freight battery maintainer and use it when we're parked.  We don't listen to the radio more than a couple hours a day, so that maintainer keeps up no problem.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »
As you have probably deduced by now, there is no single way RV dash radios are wired. 

Also, it may be somewhat unimportant if the house charging system also charges the chassis battery. But again, not all RVs do that either. 

If another '06 Tiffin Allegro owner cannot confirm the choices made, I suggest that you contact Tiffin Customer Service and ask, or conduct an experiment yourself to verify.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network