Winterizing Norcold Four Door Icemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majicchuck

Just finishing up winterizing the motorhome. The only thing left-is the icemaker. Does anyone know the best way to winterize icemaker? I've read that you don't want anti-freeze going through this water line.

Thanks,
Chuck

My icemaker supply line is connected to a replaceable filter located by the water pump. I just leave the supply valve open and disconnect the filter to allow it to drain. There is very little water in that small tube.

The only problem with anti-freeze in the icemaker water lines is that it is a nuisance to flush out in the spring. You get pink ice for awhile, and off-tasting ice for awhile longer. If you want to run antifreeze throu the ice maker itself, there are some tricks you can use to make the procedure easier/quicker, if you don't mind playing with 120v electricity. However, that is not necessary.

Norcold has ice maker winter storage instructions in your fridge owner manual under Icemaker Storage. It does not run antifreeze into the ice maker itself - just drains the line. That's all that is needed for the solenoid and the line from there to the ice maker. They say to disconnect the RV water feed from the solenoid (it simply unscrews). If you do that, you can pump antifreeze (or blow air) through the feed line without getting any into the ice maker itself. Leave the end of the line open (cover with plastic bag or wrap) or screw a hose plug into it after.  You can then flush the line in the spring the same as the rest of the system.

When we had ours, I would disconnect the supply line from the solenoid valve behind the fridge and blow it out, or pump antifreeze through it.  Then disconnect the feed line that goes up to the ice maker and let it drain.  That was all there was to it.  I never had to make pink ice.

Note:  A mylar wrapped white wire is kind of wrapped around the solenoid valve.  That is heat trace so be sure to put it back.

Keep in mind that the portion of the ice maker inside the freezer doesn't need winterizing, in and of itself., since it's designed to work in 0? conditions.  ::) ;D

I guess I did not winterize or drain the ice maker line properly, as it broke and when the water was turned on it was leaking under the fridge onto the carpet. We just shut it off as the cost to repair was quite high. I believe they would have to remove the fridge to get at the line.

Bill

The usual result of inadequate ice maker winterizing is an internally damaged solenoid valve that allows water to pass through when off. The symptom of that is a big icicle in the freezer because water continues to seep into the ice maker when the solenoid is supposedly off. This problem is often described as an overflow or maladjusted ice maker water control, but it is near always a leaking seal in the solenoid. Improper winterization is the primary reason for it. Norcold even has a service bulletin about it.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf

Larry N. said:
When I had an RV fridge, the manual had a specific procedure for winterizing the icemaker -- just took a few minutes.

I went back to the manual earlier today and found the storage instructions.

Thanks,
Chuck

Alpena Jeff said:
Newmar dealer told me to make pink ice. I hope that's true!

Actually, the manual does not require me to run anti-freeze through ice maker water line. So I don't need to make pink ice.

Chuck

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The only problem with anti-freeze in the icemaker water lines is that it is a nuisance to flush out in the spring. You get pink ice for awhile, and off-tasting ice for awhile longer. If you want to run antifreeze throu the ice maker itself, there are some tricks you can use to make the procedure easier/quicker, if you don't mind playing with 120v electricity. However, that is not necessary.

Norcold has ice maker winter storage instructions in your fridge owner manual under Icemaker Storage. It does not run antifreeze into the ice maker itself - just drains the line. That's all that is needed for the solenoid and the line from there to the ice maker. They say to disconnect the RV water feed from the solenoid (it simply unscrews). If you do that, you can pump antifreeze (or blow air) through the feed line without getting any into the ice maker itself. Leave the end of the line open (cover with plastic bag or wrap) or screw a hose plug into it after.  You can then flush the line in the spring the same as the rest of the system.

Thanks Gary. Yes I looked at the Norcold storage instructions. I drained the water supply line and bagged it. The water feed to the solenoid is attached to several other lines in a batch. When I pull the white line out-no water comes out. There is a connector at the end of the white line. Not sure what I'm missing.

Mile High said:
When we had ours, I would disconnect the supply line from the solenoid valve behind the fridge and blow it out, or pump antifreeze through it.  Then disconnect the feed line that goes up to the ice maker and let it drain.  That was all there was to it.  I never had to make pink ice.

Note:  A mylar wrapped white wire is kind of wrapped around the solenoid valve.  That is heat trace so be sure to put it back.

Thanks Mile High. Ok. Here is a dumb question-do I get to the solenoid by opening up the fridge access panel on the outside of the coach? So far, I have been working under assumption that I disconnect line inside the ice maker.

When I pull the white line out-no water comes out. There is a connector at the end of the white line. Not sure what I'm missing.

White line?  That sounds like the 1/4" tube from the solenoid to the oce maker itself.

The ice maker water line is accessed from the outside panel. The feeder from the RV is a typically a largish hose and has a standard hose thread connector on the end that screws onto the solenoid.  Coming out of the solenoid is a white or clear 1/4 tube that disappears into the back of the fridge cabinet and comes out near the ice maker inside. You don't have to do anything inside the fridge.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
White line?  That sounds like the 1/4" tube from the solenoid to the oce maker itself.

The ice maker water line is accessed from the outside panel. The feeder from the RV is a typically a largish hose and has a standard hose thread connector on the end that screws onto the solenoid.  Coming out of the solenoid is a white or clear 1/4 tube that disappears into the back of the fridge cabinet and comes out near the ice maker inside. You don't have to do anything inside the fridge.

Alright. That's where I went wrong... Makes sense. Got it.

This is what you are looking for:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/norcold--single-port-water-valve--17167610

There are cheaper sources if you ever need one, but this one has an excellent photo.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
This is what you are looking for:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/norcold--single-port-water-valve--17167610

There are cheaper sources if you ever need one, but this one has an excellent photo.

Thanks again Gary! Big help. Oh boy is a picture worth a thousand words :)

majicchuck said:
Thanks Mile High. Ok. Here is a dumb question-do I get to the solenoid by opening up the fridge access panel on the outside of the coach? So far, I have been working under assumption that I disconnect line inside the ice maker.
You are probably past this question already, but yes, it is all serviced outside through the lower vent cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom