EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Washer / Dryer vs Laundromat  (Read 968 times)

Memtb

• ---
Re: Washer / Dryer vs Laundromat
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
   We have stackable washer/dryer.... as  we “do not” full time, they don’t see a lot of use. But...do a very good job, vibration is virtually “non-existent”, and we “do not” like laundromats for the aforementioned reasons. We generally boondock when on the road, so when we “need” to dump tanks and refill fresh tank...we  stay at a campground. We’ll do laundry after dumping the tanks... running a couple of loads through the washer, gives the sewer hose a good flush. Time.... eating supper and catching a few television shows while washing/ drying. It’s called “multi-tasking”!   ;D
Todd and Marianne
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »
Our Pace Arrow has a Splendid.  Tried to remove it and got as far as we could without tearing out the cupboard above.  Don't know how it's done, but for me and the son, it wasn't about to happen.   Weight is the biggest issue for us.  We're close to the GCWR on our coach but have a ton of space which could easily be taken up by STUFF we'd like to take with.  If we had more carrying capacity, I'd purchase stacked units for two reasons.  First I hate laundromats.  Second, my wife loves throw rugs.  Every where you look, there's a throw rug.  Claims it keeps the cats from tearing up the place.  Can't imagine washing a rug in a Splendid.   ;)
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
Washing garage rags, throw rugs and comforters are the only good reasons to ever go to a laundromat.

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
Washing garage rags, throw rugs and comforters are the only good reasons to ever go to a laundromat.

:)) :)) :))
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:51 PM »
:)) :)) :))
So you would be the reason many people don't want to use laundromats.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
I just haven’t had bad luck with laundromats. I check out reviews on Yelp and Google first. In very small towns you may only have one choice, but most places have more than one. Then I check out the place before I put my clothes in a machine. Like a PP said, I prefer the ones with a full time attendant who also does washing for customers. We do laundry every 7-8 days, and I just don’t see how people do just one or two loads a month! We do one load of white (underwear, dish towels, etc that get bleach), jeans (usually 2 loads), dark colors, and light colors. Every other time we wash sheets and rugs. How often do you folks that do laundry once a month change clothes? You must have big closets for sure.

That being said, when we buy a Class A it will get a 2 part set. We won’t be traveling as much, and it has to be easier to use your own units when you are hooked up to services.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 04:46:44 AM »
I have a portable compact washer that does magic with about 15 different settings.
It quick connects to the sink and drain.
I love it.
I hang dry my clothes, sheets and towels.
Sometimes on a homemade rack out back, other times on overhead compression rods I installed in the shower and along one side of my bedroom ceiling.
I have twice the clothe hangers because I hang dry using those and clothes pins. I just pin the towels to the clothes hangers and then hang everything up 1-2-3 inches apart.
I've been known to use a fan to speed dry.
My little washer accommodates sheets and throw rugs, even the dog bed and throw pillows go in.
Once in a great while I will use a laundromat, but it's extremely rare.
Sometimes I will wash 2-3 loads in my washer, then toss in the campground's dryer, but mostly I prefer that sunshine smell from drying my clothes outside.
My compact washer was $240 in 2010, so I've used it 7 years now. The stainless steel tub inside is still bright and shiny.
I use vinegar in a dawny dispenser so the innards don't get clogged up with hard water. The vinegar softens the laundry too.

Compact Haier washer at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=haier+washer&linkCode=ll2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=c5aee6bef656cf6e126943c700f5ec2b

http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »
We do laundry every 7-8 days, and I just don’t see how people do just one or two loads a month!
First off I do not own one thing that is white. Everything I own has color so I don't have to mess around with a white load and bleach. I have about 15 pairs of underpants and 15 polo shirts and I change both every other day. I have about six pairs of cargo shorts and I change that every 5 days. I don't wear socks, jackets or sweaters. I live in Florida so I can wear the exact same style outfit every day, underpants, cargo shorts, polo shirt and maybe slip on sandals if I go outside. The nice thing about living in Florida is this outfit works 365. I have two towels in the bath room that I alternate every other shower. Plus my sheets. And I have a few hand towels. The laundromat I go to has an attendant and is very clean and very empty first thing in the morning. I go once a month. They have the largest machines I have ever seen in my life, and I use to work at a dry cleaners. The small machines are $2. They also have machines for $3.50, $4, $5 and I think $6. I use the $4 machine and my one load fills it up. One dryer load. Total expense is $7.50 per month. Clothes come out clean and smelling good. I have been using laundromats for the last 30 years so I have it down to a science. I also have emphysema so I am not very active so I don't sweat much.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:05:53 AM by SeilerBird »
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
We do laundry every 7-8 days, and I just don’t see how people do just one or two loads a month!

We have about a 3 week supply of clothes on board, with seasonal items stowed in bins and switched out as the weather changes where are at the time. We typically do laundry about every 2 weeks.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
How often do you folks that do laundry once a month change clothes?
When we went full time we were told it's a rule that you can wear an article of clothing three times before you have to wash it, and if you rotate them you could get four days.  :)
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »
When we went full time we were told it's a rule that you can wear an article of clothing three times before you have to wash it, and if you rotate them you could get four days.  :)

That probably would work but don't expect to be asked over for supper by any one of your neighbors.   :o ::) ;D
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »

A wash and dry in ours takes a couple hours or more - you must get more mail than we do  ;)

Ours takes a couple of hours too!  ;D  I thought mentioning jammies was TMI so I didn't add ... reading the RV Forum ... eating breakfast ... making the bed ... doing breakfast dishing ... taking a shower ... getting dressed ... walking the dogs ... THEN folding and putting away the laundry!  :)
Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »
Wow, my one load takes an hour. 25 minutes to wash and 30 to dry. Then five minutes to fold.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Hosted by Over The Network