Help Please!! 2001 Toyota Corolla as a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stnb4ever

I need help ??? I want to use a 2001 Toyota Corolla (automatic) as a toad behind my MH. I have searched many websites to find information on this subject. It seems that the major companies that supply the products such as REMCO do not even touch this vehicle. No lube pumps, No axle disconnects etc. Does anyone know why? What is the major problem they run into. I assume that it must be a manufacturing characteristic of Toyota that REMCO has not been able to overcome. Does anyone know what that characteristic may be? Any information will be greatly appreciated. I know that I could tow this vehicle on a dolly, but I was hoping to get away from that. I also know I could go with another vehicle for a toad, however I currently own this one so I wanted to persue this route first. Any suggestions or any advise to get around this problem are greatly appreciated. ;D Thank you for your time and valuable information.

Does your Toyota have a frame?

I just went through that, last year. Had two very nice cars, neither of which had an actual "FRAME." Consequently, no place strong enough to attach the towing assembly to. Neither could be made towable, except on a trailer or a dolly.

I bought a new (used) car for towing.

Ray D  ;D

Thanks for the reply. That was an excellent question that I had not yet considered. All the previous years, up to 1999 had tow bars available for them so I had just assumed the later ones would also. It is very possible that Toyota made a major design change in their vehicle that has now made this impossible. This gives me more avenues to explore. thank you for your valuable input. Greatly appreciated!!! ;D

Welcome to the forum and Ray D is right about the Dolly or trailer.  I had the same problems for years and years. I always used a dolly and trailer which I still have.   We have 2 Lincoln Town Cars and it';s either the dolly or Trailer or disconnect the drive shaft.  Well we finally went out and bought a 4X4 Jeep and set it all up and now we've decided to forego the MH and sell it, I guess that's what she wants to do.  I don't but ya gotta get along with the Boss.  Good luck in your venture.

Well thanks for the great replies. I contacted both Remco and Toyota and think that I have found the answer. Not the one that I was looking for though. :'( I will go ahead and list the reasoning here in case anyone else is looking for the same answers. It seems as though this vehicle can not be towed four down because it has overdrive (which makes a lube pump ineffective and of no use) and the axle is located too close to the engine block which leaves no room to install an axle lock. :-[ O-well, on to the next idea ;D Thanks again for all of your great help, and if anyone is lucky enough to figure out a way around this please let me know.

stnb4ever said:
I need help ??? I want to use a 2001 Toyota Camry (automatic) as a toad behind my MH. ...

Your message text says "Camry" but your message title says "Corolla."  Which is it?

You are coorect I goofed :p Thanks for the heads up. I meant for it to read Corolla. I will change it right away. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom