Suburban DSI water heater problems SW6DEL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abendage

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my water heater. Everytime it tries to ignite via DSI all the lights in the camper flicker, the radio resets to factory defaults and it resets my Victron battery monitor, which is the biggest problem. So it's basically interupting the whole 12v system when it tries to ignite.

Does this sound like a bad ground? Not sure what would cause this type of issue?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Well posibly a bad ground. possibly a bad Positive connection I would start AT THE BATTERY.. Since the problme is prior to the 12 volt distribution panel. (fuse box)

Do other DSI burners cause the same problem, e.g. furnace or fridge in LP gas mode? If not, I would be looking at the igniter and control board at the water heater for a possible short.  DSI ignition is a simple pulse of high voltage, low amperage DC

Batteries are in good shape.  I have 4 GC2's fully charged in there, all other loads work as they should, including the DSI on the fridge and the furnace.

After playing around with it more today, I think Gary is right, the control board is bad, I can't get it to light at all anymore.  The gas valve solenoid cycles on, then off after a few seconds, and you can smell gas, but no sparky. It also doesn't trip any of my other electronics up when the solenoid clicks on either. The water heater pulls .4 amps when you turn on the switch, then once the gas valve turns on it pulls 1 amp, until it shuts itself off.

After a few tries, I pulled the board out and the section of the board around the Q3 label was too hot to touch. It isn't visibly burnt yet, but my guess is it wouldn't take long. After researching a bit it seems like Suburban is having issues with late model boards and that is the section of the board that Suburban is having issues with. I will contact them to see about a replacement.

Thanks for all your help!

Forget Suburban,  go to Dinosauer boards for lota less money for a better board.

It should still be under warranty, but if I can?t get it replaced under warranty or it is too much of a hassle Dinosaur is the plan!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom