Making own TV lift mechanism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

I want to install a TV lift behind the driver's side couch. The problem is there is not enough room behind the couch and the slide wall for a TV and electric TV lift mechanism to fit. Only 4 1/2 ". I could move the couch out a couple of inches but that would restrict movement with the slide in.

So I'm trying to think of another solution. Here's one idea I came up with. Install the TV in a drawer slide. Think of a drawer like in your kitchen but mounted vertically. The top of the TV would be the drawer handle and you would pull up on the handle to lift the TV manually. Think of drawer slides mounted on both side of a cabinet just large enough to house the TV.

The above should work but I want to get some mechanical help in lifting the TV. So does anyone have any ideas that would help? I was thinking maybe a small hydraulic cylinder like they use in cars to hold the back lift door on a SUV or hood on some cars. Or maybe a pulley system with a weight that would help lift the TV. Maybe the weight could be attached to a vertically mounted slide next to the TV to keep the weight from swaying.

If trying to design a mechanical lift system to help lift the TV is too complicated or just wouldn't work then I would need to in some way lock the TV in the up or lifted position. New LED TV's weigh about 12-17 lbs so they could be lifted without mechanical advantage but I would like to get some advantage if I could and I would still need some way to lock the lift mechanism in the up position.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Gas or pneumatic struts are available in a wide variety of designs and pressures. Those are the gadgets used to assist with heavy door opening, car trunk lids, cabinet doors, Murphy beds, etc. Here are some examples:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q0OY8E/ref=asc_df_B004Q0OY8E5251273/

Cabinet supply shops, auto parts stores, etc. have them.

Or you could use a scissors type jack, powered probably, beneath the TV.  The limitation is space available vertically behind the couch. An alternate approach would be to mount the TV permanently and raise/lower a screen in front of it. Perhaps a picture?

Ernie

Take a look at 12 volt actuators on eBay, amazon, ect. I recently bought a 24? stroke-250lb actuator 12 volt for about $70 shipped to door.

Thanks guys. I'm having trouble finding a gas/pneumatic strut with a 18" stoke. I didn't know dc actuators were so cheap. I'll investigate that option.

You could go real "old school". The old double hung windows had counter weights designed to do exactly this. 

Sit the TV on a 1X3 or similarly properly sized board.  Attach an eye hook to each end of the board and a pulley on each side at the top of the cabinet, beside the TV cut out .  On each side, run a rope from the eye hook, through the pulley to a 6 - 8 pound weight.  There will be a bit of tweaking needed, but this will get you close to a manual lift system.

I bought a linear actuator and I'm going to try and come up with a lift mechanism. My initial design is to put the TV in a cabinet that will slide up and out of the cabinet on 2 heavy duty full extension drawer slides. The actuator will push the TV up and down. The actuator is attached to the bottom of the cabinet on one side and the other end of the actuator is attached to a cabinet that surrounds the TV and when retracted fits inside the bigger lower cabinet. The cabinet surrounding the TV holds the slides and one end of the actuator.

However I saw on YouTube a custom made scissors lift made out of angled aluminum. I saw it yesterday and can't seem to find it again. I'm going through my history folder to see if I can find it. The scissors lift mechanism would eliminate the cabinet surrounding the TV to attached the actuator and make a cleaner install. Stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom