Questions regarding small spots of water damadge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spyder7

We are totally new to Rv's, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Here goes!  We are about to buy a '91 Winnebago Warrior, 23' with 73k miles on it.  It was purchased new in '91 and has stayed in the same family for 26 yrs.  The only reason it's being sold is the fellow wants a new fifth wheel. He is the head mechanic at my husband's bus garage. It has all of the maintenance records and is really in excellent condition for its age.  This being said, I did notice two small areas on the wall where at one time was a small leak.  I pushed on these spots and there is no softness or erosion that I could tell, just the wallpaper was a touch bubbled.  We checked the outside and everything is sealed and intact. He told us that years ago, there was a small leak but it was fixed right away.  I tend to believe him, considering this unit has been so well taken care of.  I had read articles that said, "if you see water damage steer clear!"  Do you think this is something that we should worry about?

Probably not. Rare indeed is the older RV that has never leaked, so you can't just run away at the slightest sign. You just need to be cautious and inspect for any lasting damage. Poke around, look for soft spots and further damage. If the leak was neglected, there are likley to be soft spots in the wall or floor below it. If possible, try to check the subfloor in that area to see if there are further water stains  or soft spots that would indicate internal damage to wall or floor. An ice pick or a slim knife blade can poke through carpet to check what's underneath.

Thank you Gary!  I did really push on the area, and it wasn't soft all, I looked in the corner and did not see any damage, but great idea poking it with an ice pick  :)

Bubbled or pebbly wallcovering means dampness was present at one time, but probably not in great quantity. The concern is whether the interior of the sidewall was wet often enough and long enough to cause interior rot. Usually if that happened, it spreads down onto the adjacent floor, which is why I suggested poking the floor as well as the sidewall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom