What tire to choose for a 15" wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshc017

225/75 is the size that came on it.  GVRW is 12,800 and it came with load range D.  Crazy in my mind.  I'm going to be upgrading tires for the spring.  Don't have the extra money at the time to upgrade to 16" wheels for more options.  I like to be over kill on my tires.  I'd love a set of F's, but that's hard to find.  Greenball makes two in that size.  Load range E offers a good variety in my size.  Am I over thinking it with the load range?

Upgrading to 16 inch is not that expensive when compared to your families safety and your peace of mind.  Depending on axles an upgrade could be as cheap as 800 dollars.

So you think that a D Range tires and 15" wheels put on this unit by Sunnybrook was a safety hazard?  Sounds like a class action law suite if that's the case (against all RV builders).

Read the Max Load lbs/kg embossed right on the tire sidewall.  You need enough load carrying capacity for the axle rating, which is probably 5500 or 6000 lbs (each) on that trailer. Verify that axle load rating, but a 5W must have axles large enough to carry at least 80% of the GVWR and tires to match. 80% = 10,240

I'll guess that an ST227/75R15 in LRD is about 2540 bs (it varies a bit by make and model of tire), so barely adequate for a 10,240 lb axle load. So yes, LRE tires would be the better choice by far. That would gain you approximately 300 lbs/tire in load capacity.  Alternatively, use a slightly wider 15" tire - most trailers have sufficient wheel well space for a wider tire. St tires wider than 225 may be hard to find in the 15" wheel size, though.

It appears that Trailer King (available at Walmarts) has a LRE 10-ply in 225/75R15
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ST225-75R15-10-Ply-Trailer-King-II-ST-Radial-Tire/54732677

For a better grade of tire, check out the Maxxis STM8008, which includes an ST225/75R15 LRE tire.
http://shop.maxxis.com/c/m8008-st-radial-tire?action_type=switch_product&selected_cat_keys=82035.1071148.0.0.0&selected_product=385475406683b91fdce26a848ce96a2e&redirected_post=1

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Read the Max Load lbs/kg embossed right on the tire sidewall.  You need enough load carrying capacity for the axle rating, which is probably 5500 or 6000 lbs (each) on that trailer. Verify that axle load rating, but a 5W must have axles large enough to carry at least 80% of the GVWR and tires to match. 80% = 10,240

I'll guess that an ST227/75R15 in LRD is about 2540 bs (it varies a bit by make and model of tire), so barely adequate for a 10,240 lb axle load. So yes, LRE tires would be the better choice by far. That would gain you approximately 300 lbs/tire in load capacity.  Alternatively, use a slightly wider 15" tire - most trailers have sufficient wheel well space for a wider tire. St tires wider than 225 may be hard to find in the 15" wheel size, though.

It appears that Trailer King (available at Walmarts) has a LRE 10-ply in 225/75R15
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ST225-75R15-10-Ply-Trailer-King-II-ST-Radial-Tire/54732677

For a better grade of tire, check out the Maxxis STM8008, which includes an ST225/75R15 LRE tire.
http://shop.maxxis.com/c/m8008-st-radial-tire?action_type=switch_product&selected_cat_keys=82035.1071148.0.0.0&selected_product=385475406683b91fdce26a848ce96a2e&redirected_post=1

Would it be too much over thinking to go to a F tire?

Personally, I would go with the E rated tires also. You could also go with a 225/85/R15 and end up with the equivalent of using 16 inch rims. 225/85/R15 is essentially same diameter of 225/75/R16. This gives you a little taller tire, a little bit less revolutions per minute, a little less heat, etc etc. I have 85?s on my fiver and they work well, originals were 75?s if my poor memory is working right today. ? My toy hauler is like 13500 dry weight I think. I don?t experience any sidewall flex that I can tell, but they are Goodyear?s, pretty good tires.

The LR D tires are legally sufficient - barely.  That is legal and cheaper than a larger tire, so guess which one the factory uses?

Gary offered good options, and saved me a lot of typing.  Load Range E may be harder to find, but they are available and an excellent choice!

Goodyear Endurance load range E might be the best available tire in your current size.  Made in USA.

If there is such a thing in that size, it certainly could be used. About the only advantage would be that the tire is running a bit more inside its performance envelope than the E. 

Tire and wheels have a max pressure rating.
I would bet your 15" wheels are a 6 lug wheel good for 80 psi and 2830 lb capacity = 11320 lbs  which is plenty of reserve capacity for that trailers axle load requirements.
A load F tire runs on up to 90 psi.  Don't over pressure a wheel.

Anther excellent ST tire that come OEM on heavier trailers is a Provider. These tires first hit the streets in the '10/'11 era on equipment/flatdeck trailers for the hauling industry. They carry a M speed rating (81 mph).
  I have a set of ST235/80-16 E on a 12k tandem axle flatdeck trailer carrying a 12' tall cab'ed tractor since '12. They have around 32k-33k miles and no issues at 75 mph speed limit on the interstate. Great trailer tire.

Not all ST tire manufacturers build the ST225/75R15 with a LRE rating (2830# @ 80 PSI). Here is a list of some that do.

Endurance - Towmax -  Taskmaster - Hartland - Carlisle - Maxxis - Provider. All the above have speed letters to 75 MPH or greater except Maxxis who has not seen fit to upgrade and IMO without a speed letter on the tire they are rated at 65 MPH. I?m sure some will add other brands. Those listed are easy to find and are at Walmart or any of the big box discount tire retailers. The Hartland brand name belongs to Discount Tires. Towmax belongs to Power King.

It?s important to insure that your current wheels are certified for the higher PSI rating. Valve stems also need to be certified for the higher PSI rating. It?s highly recommended to upgrade your valve stems to bolt in rather than the normal snap-in type normally provided with the OE wheels.

By NHTSA regulations your axles MUST be certified, at 5080# or less, GAWR. All Original Equipment tires for RV trailer axles are fitted to GAWR. All replacement tires must provide a load capacity equal to or above the load capacity the OE tires provided.

There is no physical size difference between a LRD tire and a LRE tire of the same basic size.

lynnmor said:
Goodyear Endurance load range E might be the best available tire in your current size.  Made in USA.

I could not find any F rated tires in the 15" size. I went with the Endurances in the ST225/75r15 E loading and am very happy with them. I have over 7000 miles on them since august and not a lick of problems and they ride smooth and are wearing great.

As for going to a bigger wheel you have to be careful because of the way the suspension flexes and moves my tires are sometimes almost touching while turning or going over bumps. If i went to a large wheel i am sure they would hit sometimes and that would be a big problem.

skeeter

Back
Top Bottom