Alexa Echo 2nd Generation, Thought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Has anyone purchased a Amazon Alexa Echo 2nd generation? Any pros or cons?

https://www.amazon.com/all-new-amazon-echo-speaker-with-wifi-alexa-dark-charcoal/dp/B06XCM9LJ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=amazon-devices&ie=UTF8&qid=1510004857&sr=1-1&keywords=amazon%2Balexa&dpID=51TFnR7AtGL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

Alexa is a dumb idiot compared to Google on my phone. Tired of her "Hmmm, I don't know that".
And that's MHO! Generation 1, 2 or 3 doesn't matter.

I'd caution anyone who uses a data hot spot that Alexa is a data hog. Two or three hours of music can easily use 300 mb of data. Otherwise we are pleased with ours.

Ernie

We use an Echo Dot and are pleased with it, but it really depends on your expectations. It's not a substitute for Google or Bing for web searching, but can do many other things those tools cannot.  Like most tools, it has a range of things it does well, some it does adequately, and some where it perfroms miserably, if at all.

As far as "2nd Generation" goes, it appears to be minor improvements, better styling (most Echos are prominently visible in homes), and an improved speaker & microphones.  As far as Alexa's capability, it's no different than any other Echo, including the Dot. All Echos share the same cloud software, so this one is simply upgraded hardware.

We use a separate Bluetooth speaker with our Echo Dot to get better sound quality, and the two together cost less than the larger Echo models. Not a lot less, though, so the new Echo is probably a reasonable deal price-wise. 

I have the large echo, bought it about 4 months ago and don't know if it's Gen 1 or 2. I'm generally happy with it but like Gary said, it's no substitute for a web browser.

Back
Top Bottom