Atwood 6 gallon water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireinv420

I just bought and set up a used travel trailer. After setting up the water connection, I noticed on the outside of the camper water dripping from the underside of the camper. This drip was just below where the Atwood water heater is located. I pulled the panel on the inside of the camper and the floor is dry with no evidence of a leak, which means I can?t tell where the leak is at. I also opened the gas door (on the outside) to the water heater and no sign of a leak. I will say that if I cut off the inlet valve to the water heater the leak will stop. Before I spend money on a new water heater I was hoping for some pointers. Is there something just behind the gas panel (between the gas panel and water heater tank) that could be leaking, running down the wall to the underside membrane and not getting anything else wet? Does anyone have any pointer on what I can look for or do? Any advice is appreciated.

The heater usually comes out from the outside. You must first remove the water lines from the inside. My friend had a similar problem so we removed the heater and it had a small pin hole in the aluminum tank. We took the tank to a metal shop and they welded a large patch over the small hole. That was over 2 years ago and he has not had a problem. The cost was $30.

You may find a fitting or something else leaking but it sounds like you may have to pull the heater to find it.

Where is that "inlet valve" that shuts off the leak?  If its very far from the heater itself, I would suspect a leak in the water line more than the heater. You say the floor under the heater is dry, so that doesn't sound much like a heater issue.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Year, make and model of RV would help. Perhaps someone with the same model has had the same problem.

I knew I had a water lead for at least a month before I found it (The water heater tank as the other poster described) only I had a whole bunch of 'em not just one pin hole.

New tank was not all that expensive.. I still have a slow leak somewhere,, very slow.. But it's not the tank

I'll be working on it later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom