Satellite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriswehby

Hi all
I have a satellite on top, However this is my first time to go on a trip or ever try to get TV service. Can anyone tell me what I need to get reception or service on my tv,s, I will be going to Arizona in January

Thanks Chris
2007 Tiffin Alegro bay

I am assuming you just bought this rig used.  Do you also have a receiver?  This is a box that looks a lot like a cable box that is connected to your TV. If you have a receiver, you need to have an account with DISH or DirectTV and pay a monthly fee.  You also should have some sort of little square box that contains a controller for the motor that turns your satellite around so it can find a signal.

And, I suppose the last question is, are you sure you have a satellite under the satellite dome on top of your rig?  It is possible, I suppose, that the seller removed it and left the dome.  You might have to go up on the roof and check.

When all of this is working, you should hear the motor turning the satellite around searching for a channel.  Do you hear anything when you are plugged into electric service and the receiver and satellite controller are plugged in?

If you are missing components, you still ought to be able to get air TV with the regular antenna you have on top of your rig, assuming you have an antenna on top of your rig.  Have you checked?  There should be a handle inside that you use to crank it up and turn it around like the old rabbit ears to find an air channel.

You need a receiver and a subscription for the satellite tv service. The roof satellite will be set up for one of the major satellite networks, probably Dish or DirectTV, and the receiver has to match that network as well. Most rooftop dish/domes can be re-tuned for a different network service, but its not always easy or cheap to do that.

Once you figure out what you have, you can subscribe to the appropriate network service. If you don't already have satellite tv at home, tell them you are setting up a mobile system or they will want to send out a local installer to put up a dish. You don't need a dish and most local installers won't touch an RV system anyway.

Back
Top Bottom