Class A Optimal length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kg4rpc

Considering going fulltime in a class A, probably pulling a small toad as well. Obviously living in it fulltime we would want the most living space a floor plan could provide, however I am concerned with having a coach too big to go places we would want to enjoy. Would like to hear from other full timers How big of a concern is this and is the sacrifice of living space worth it for the restrictions on places you can go? My thought process so far is living comfortably would trump size restrictions on destinations. I would love to hear other full timers opinions on this matter. Thanks!

What sort of places do you "want to enjoy"?  If you have visions of driving through empty fields to a isolated pond side, you want a small 4WD coach with high road clearance. If what you enjoy is prepared full hook-ups campsites with decent access roads, 45 feet is no problem at all.

Most fulltimers choose something in  the 38+ foot range, but wants & needs vary.

IMHO for full time living there is no such thing as being too long. There is always plenty of places to camp that will accommodate you then take the toad the last few miles. There is about a zillion campgrounds and RV parks in North America. Get a Woodall's and skim through it.

Thanks for the input guys, there is a wealth of information in this forum and I am still digging through it all but it's nice to have this feature for those questions that pop up that you could spend hours researching. I guess I'm just afraid of making a purchase I will regret if it is too big or too small. I don't really know where all I might want to end up which brings about the dilemma of what is the happy medium of living space vs size accommodation. However, you do make a good point with finding accommodations for the rig and taking the toad the rest of the way, that seems to be the most logical solution to the whole predicament. This is going to be our home on wheels so I'm thinking bigger is probably better as far as full time living. Thanks again guys!

It is impossible to figure out exactly what size you will need until you have been RVing for a while. That is why I recommend only buying an inexpensive RV first time around. Then when you do figure out what you want you will not loose too much money trading it in. I suggest starting with something like this to help you figure out what you want:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/class-a/1995-newmar-kountry-star_rv-37184

ok thanks Seiler, That really does make a lot of sense, I appreciate you all taking time to answer my questions, it's a huge help. We are about 2-5 yrs away from purchase yet but I'm starting my research and preparation now. My wife and I know for sure full timing is what we want at least for awhile, it's something we have always dreamed of doing and of course we will have an exit strategy if things change.

We're long-timers but I think we all agree that the most important criterion is floor plan, floor plan, floor plan.  Livability is what counts most so find something you both really like.  It encompasses a wide range of items such as storage for tools, hobbies, computer paraphernalia, linens, clothing for various seasons, seasonal decorations, food and cooking utensils, etc.  When you enter an RV spend time looking at where you'll store all this stuff.

ArdraF

If full timing, getting a bigger one will provide the needed storage space for all the things you will want. My 38 ft dp could use some additional storage space. A full basement is desirable, which mine doesnt have. Cant imagine a smaller coach. We cant fit in all the stuff we want now. We often pull an enclosed trailer with some toys in it, as well as some extra cargo that wont fit in the cargo bays.

muskoka guy said:
If full timing, getting a bigger one will provide the needed storage space for all the things you will want. My 38 ft dp could use some additional storage space.
This is called three-foot-itis. RV owners and boat owners can explain it. ;D

One important question is how do you plan to travel, if you are looking at the coach as a mobile base camp, then bigger is generally better.  This would be a situation where the coach may sit in one place for weeks or months at a time while you use you toad to explore the surrounding area.  By contrast if you are thinking of a more whirlwind 50 states in 50 weeks sort of travel, smaller is generally better.

I guess I'm just afraid of making a purchase I will regret if it is too big or too small.

I feel strongly that you are much more likley to regret too small than too big.  Too small inhibits your lifestyle and comfort 24/7/365, whereas larger merely limits your choice of campgrounds a bit more.

Don't cheat yourself by limiting the size choice up front.  Once you figure out how much living space is needed to be comfortable, you can consider whether adding more length is worth some further reduction in campsite choices.

Rest assured, though, that you will always be able to go to the areas you want, even if you sometimes have to park a bit further away. It's analogous to going to a shopping mall in a big pick-up instead of a compact car.  You may need to park in a more open spot at the far end of the parking lot, but you can still go to the stores.

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful input. I do think I will consider lifestyle and comfort over any size restrictions, that makes the most sense to me. I still have a lot of research to do but early on the '95 bounder 35U is looking really sweet and I think I may be able to fulltime a lot sooner than expected. One thing I would like to add about that particular model is we like the big windows in the living area but how practical is that as far as insulating from colder weather? Once I am fully retired we would probably chase the warmer weather but for the time being we may have to endure some colder weather so I am a little concerned with having too much window space in that respect.

kg4rpc said:
Thanks again everyone for all the helpful input. I do think I will consider lifestyle and comfort over any size restrictions, that makes the most sense to me. I still have a lot of research to do but early on the '95 bounder 35U is looking really sweet and I think I may be able to fulltime a lot sooner than expected. One thing I would like to add about that particular model is we like the big windows in the living area but how practical is that as far as insulating from colder weather? Once I am fully retired we would probably chase the warmer weather but for the time being we may have to endure some colder weather so I am a little concerned with having too much window space in that respect.
Keep in mind your biggest heat loss (or gain in summer) is that big windshield, which is always made of single pane glass.  Some people go to the local hardware store and buy a roll of the 1/4" or 3/8" thick shiny sided insulating material and cut it to fit the windshield: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-BP48025/100052556

We like large windows because we like to be able to see out in bad weather.  We use a catalytic gas heater to keep warm. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom