Dish HD satelite dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
A guy next to me just pulled in with a pop up. He asked for help because he never camped before. I had to help him hook up the water hose and also the 30 amp electric cord. He didn't have a clue.
I noticed that he removed a Satellite dish. It was a Dish HD. It had two wires about 15' long coming out of it. They were sort of molded together. On the ends there were fittings with female threads just like like a cable TV wire fitting. I asked him how he was going to hook it up. He said all he needed was a "Y" to connect the two wires to and the third leg of the "Y" would go to the receiver/DVR. He said that is all it needs to work. Of course, he'd need to position it facing a satellite. Does that sound right to you? He's only here for a couple of days and he doesn't plan to hook up the TV. We have cable TV here.

I noticed that he removed a Satellite dish.
Do you mean that he took it off the roof of the popup (???) or that he took it out of the popup and set it up on the ground? If it's just a manual setup dish, that MIGHT be right. But the two wires coming out could be signal and power or both of them could be signal. If the latter, he only needs one of them hooked up without the Y, but the former might need a 12V power cord or something else, depending on design, though I'm not sure what power would be doing on a manual dish.

But your description of the cable ends sounds as if they are both signal, in which case, the second cable is probably to feed a second receiver (needed for a second TV). If this is the setup, it's best to have the second cable supplied with a terminator (terminating resistor), though it may not be absolutely necessary.

Larry N. said:
Do you mean that he took it off the roof of the popup (???) or that he took it out of the popup and set it up on the ground? If it's just a manual setup dish, that MIGHT be right. But the two wires coming out could be signal and power or both of them could be signal. If the latter, he only needs one of them hooked up without the Y, but the former might need a 12V power cord or something else, depending on design, though I'm not sure what power would be doing on a manual dish.

But your description of the cable ends sounds as if they are both signal, in which case, the second cable is probably to feed a second receiver (needed for a second TV). If this is the setup, it's best to have the second cable supplied with a terminator (terminating resistor), though it may not be absolutely necessary.

He only took it out of the pop up. He came down from RI and I guess inside the pop up was the best way to transport it.  It looks like he may have just removed it from a house because the cables still had clips on it which is used to attach it to the side of the house.

No, that does not sound right... I don't know of any Dish LNB that calls for a 'Y' connector to join two outputs together. If it says "DISH HD" on the reflector, it's most likely a 1000.2 or 1000.4 with a double or triple DPP LNB installed. If he has VIP or Wally series receiver, then only one coax connection from an output port to the receiver is needed. If he has one of the dual tuner receivers, then two independent coax runs are needed, one for each tuner. If he has a Hopper series receiver, then two of the outputs would be connected to a "Solo Node" with a single cable from the node to the receiver. Unless it's a 16 tuner Hopper 3 that uses a DPH LNB and a "Solo Hub" instead of the "Solo Node". There are a number of other possible configurations, but none of them call for a 'Y' connector.

Back
Top Bottom