Generator removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jiml100

Generator removal

2000 adventurer 35u,  Emerald 5000 plus Onan,

Trying to get some instruction on removal, and also the weight on the 5000

I switched out the 5000 onan on my 2000 winne 37g. It is very heavy. We used a floor jack to lower it down once we pulled it out. We had to remove the exhaust, fuel lines, starter wires as well as the power wires going to the tranfer switch. I think there were additional wires going to the interior switches as well. I think it was four bolts holding it to the frame. No expert, I had the help of my mechanic friend. It was a pain in the arse, but we got it done.

Mine caught fire........put some tires next to it and pulled it out on them ...had to do it by myself.....when I can afford another one. I will have help I hope

Vw triker said:
Mine caught fire........put some tires next to it and pulled it out on them ...had to do it by myself.....when I can afford another one. I will have help I hope

Did you determine the cause of the fire? 

No..it developed a bad shake when shut down.....I think it shook the air filter assembly off and possibly sprayed gas around. Gas line was good shape, even after the fire. I had shut it down for a bit then restarted it . It ran far a few moments then shut down. Tried to restart it a couple of times, gave up and headed down the road........wish I had got out and checked it, but it had failed to start before when it was very hot out. I did not find the air filter assembly, the fire department may have removed it...I don't know....I was very lucky, you can only imagine the shock and surprise driving down the interstate and see flames coming out the rear of your rv.

That could have been us a couple of years ago.  After changing the oil and filter, I started the generator up to see if the filter leaked and also left the cover off.  After a couple of minutes, I noticed gas running down the gas line below the carburetor, and upon inspection, noticed the gas filter housing was cracked.  Lucky us.

No..it developed a bad shake when shut down.....I think it shook the air filter assembly off and possibly sprayed gas around. Gas line was good shape, even after the fire. I had shut it down for a bit then restarted it . It ran far a few moments then shut down. Tried to restart it a couple of times, gave up and headed down the road........wish I had got out and checked it, but it had failed to start before when it was very hot out. I did not find the air filter assembly, the fire department may have removed it...I don't know....I was very lucky, you can only imagine the shock and surprise driving down the interstate and in your side mirror, you see flames coming out the rear of your rv.

Back
Top Bottom