Test DRive at RV dealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgecat

Help!  I want to test drive a class C at camping world--I've been told they only permit test drives "at the point of sale".....????????  WHAT????  Maybe I'm naive...so help--part of my decision making is knowing what size Class C I'll be comfortable driving--how it accelerates/parks---what kind of "noises" etc to expect (or not to expect!"

Please...enlighten me--I told the salesperson via email that if they cannot accommodate my request--I'll move on---unless--this is the STANDARD for the RV dealers????

It's not the standard.  But have seen at other dealerships.

one option.....let them drive and tag along.

Jim

I wouldn't buy from CW then.  Actually I'd not buy from CW in any case because I have had to fix so much of their botched work that I don't trust them at all.

I have not read good things about CW.....sales, service or service contracts

We test drove Diesel pusher at CW with salesmen, ending up not buying. Test drove 34' gas class at another dealer by ourselves, ended up buying it. Simple do not buy a vehicle without a test drive. If dealer will not accommodate you there are many dealer who will.

Did you actually go to that Camping World or were you doing it all by phone and Email?  I've driven a couple with no hesitation from the dealer, however they knew I had driven big RV's and owned one. 

I suspect if you drove into the dealership in a Prevost they'd have you behind the steering wheel faster than you can say Boo.

Many dealers are cautious about test drives - they get more than a few tire kickers and test driving an RV is an expensive risk for them. I suspect if you go there and appear serious, i.e. it's the "point of sale", they will accommodate you. If you just want to experiment with various sizes and styles, expect some reluctance from some, if not most, dealers.

Unlike the others here, I don't think a test drive is all that important for an RV.  The house part is of much greater importance than the vehicle part and as a newbie, you are going to have a learning curve no matter what.  They are noisier than a car, accelerate & brake much more slowly, and also wider and longer. A Class B or C will seem more familiar initially, but you would quickly adapt to the different view/seat position of an A.

All that said, if one dealer won't accommodate your needs, move on. There are lots of fish in the ocean...

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Unlike the others here, I don't think a test drive is all that important for an RV.
Normally I agree with everything Gary says but not this one. I test drove an Itaska about ten years ago and it shifted really rough. It was jarring. After the test drive the salesman wanted to know if I wanted to make an offer. I told him no, the transmission was not very good feeling. He insisted that it was fine. The sales manager came in and announced he had driven it the day before and it drove perfectly. He said even a million dollar RV shifts the exact same way. How do these clowns sleep at night?

Sorry Gary, not good advise. My brother and I test drove a DP in Lake Havasu he was interested in. At highway speed there was a definite chassis problem as it vibrated severely. Absolutely no way to know that without a drive.

If you are serious then go for a real test drive. Get on a major highway and up to 60 to 65 mph and note the noises and how it feels. I recently drove a class A to a show for a local dealer. That specific RV was really loud and wandered over the road. I told the dealer of my findings. Following the show the service manager had the coach looked at and found tire and alignment problems from the factory. I was asked to drive it after repairs and it was like a different unit. It is interesting driving/pulling different campers of all makes and models for delivery or to a show.

Arch Hoagland said:
Did you actually go to that Camping World or were you doing it all by phone and Email?  I've driven a couple with no hesitation from the dealer, however they knew I had driven big RV's and owned one. 

I suspect if you drove into the dealership in a Prevost they'd have you behind the steering wheel faster than you can say Boo.
I wonder what someone driving a Prevost would be doing at Camping World ??? ;)
Bill

That is strange.  I visited several dealers before buying and none were reluctant to allow me to drive with a salesperson coming along.  You need a different dealer.

CW did not say "no test drives". What they said is that a test drive is available as part of a prospective sale for a coach.  It appears that georgecat requested an opportunity to drive one or more rigs to help decide what size & type they might want to buy.  That's not the same thing at all.

I'm not a fan of CW or there business practices, but let's not blame them for things they didn't do.

MHSRV in Texas did that to us on a used Anthem.  I couldn't believe it.  We talked to them on the phone, discussed trade, then flew down there to look at it.  After being insulted by them because we live in CO, he said they don't allow test drives until the paperwork is signed and loan approved or money down.  I was furious.  We told them we were not buying anything from them now, but to make our trip worthwhile we were going to use one of their golf carts and look at all the rigs he has on the lot to help us decide what we will be buying from someone else. 

SO having just sold an RV, I had a family of tire kickers come along and I could tell they were just starting and maybe wouldn't buy at all.  He said he sure would like to drive.  I asked if it drove fine is he in a position to buy it?  He said "No" 

You can't expect someone to let just anyone back their RV into a polls and sideswipe their other RV's.

The next couple that came along REALLY looked at the RV.  By their questions I could tell they really were ready to buy.  He drove an e250 for work as an electrician.  I said heck why don't you guys take it?  They said nah - We are OK."  I said "I am not gonna come with you.  Take it down the road and pull off for as long as you like and inspect anything you want.  Just watch the tail wag you might not have with the e250."

They came back and bought it.

By the same token I was pretty ticked when I was willing to drive 6 hours for a Tiffin I wanted and the salesman said I could only drive it after the paperwork was done and I gave him a nonrefundable $450.  Now 6 hours EACH WAY is some pretty good skin in the game and I explained I have an RV currently.  Then I asked if I could ride in it while he drove it and he still said no.  I passed on that one.

You just have to find the right fit.  Sounds like CW isn't a good fit for you.  Lots of dealers out there - just move along!!

PS, that is not a standard CW policy (nothing about CW Dealers is standard).  We rescued ours from Camping World after no less than 3 test drives, along with test driving some others.  We also drove some very nice ones at the Itasca Dealer (Transwest) but just couldn't get close enough on numbers.

Rene T said:
Walk away if they won't let you drive it BEFORE the sale.
I drove 3 motorhomes and bought none of them.  Two of them were really blocked in badly on the lot and had to be extracted.  My CW was very responsive on test drives but I no long do any business with CW or GS because of the "Lemonis Factor." 

Bill

when we looked at several at different dealerships and the salesmen offered up to let us test drive it. maybe he can tell by the smile on your face or the fear in your eyes if your a buyer.
I would not buy one without a test drive-I would think it would be a given to test drive-
I do get what Gary is saying-narrow down what you think you want and go look at and drive that specific camper or a few of the same class, sales people just want to sell

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom