EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Washington DC Campgrounds  (Read 1217 times)

dbFL

• ---
Washington DC Campgrounds
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
Looking to stay somewhere (close enough) to the city that we can hop on the metro and see all the sights.

Any recommendations, we have a 40ft 5er

thanks!!
2015 Ford F350 Diesel
2016 Jayco 377RLBH

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Washington DC Campgrounds
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
Best choice is Cherry Hill"

http://www.cherryhillpark.com/
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

dverstra

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Grandville, MI
FMCA 431519
RPCV Sierra Leone

dbFL

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
Do you guys really pay $70/night? We want to stay 2 weeks
2015 Ford F350 Diesel
2016 Jayco 377RLBH

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

That's what you're going to pay in order to be close to where you want to go.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »
Pohick Bay state park in Lorton VA. About half as much as Cherry Hill, but don't expect all the amenities as Cherry Hill. We like it there and it's about a 10 minute ride to the metro. Unless you're active or retired military then you could stay at Ft. Belvoir.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »
Many parks have weekly rates and monthly rates that are much cheaper. And yes I have paid more than that when I stayed at Fort Wilderness in Disney World. Worth every penny. Cherry Hill is located on the DC bus route so you don't need a car.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:32:35 PM »
Hey, you're Tom Cruise,  you can afford it.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
Look at Green belt. It is not a national park, but it is run by the government. I think with the geezers pass it is $8. And you can stay two weeks.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:58 AM »
Howdy,

Look at Green belt. It is not a national park, but it is run by the government. I think with the geezers pass it is $8. And you can stay two weeks.

Best tip so far! Here's the link (it took some googling):
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/greenbelt-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70955

Looks exactly like the kind of place we'd like to stay at when going back to DC in a RV...

Cheers,
--
   Vall.

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 04:05:08 AM »
Can you go two weeks without electric hook up? 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 06:01:11 AM »
Howdy,

Can you go two weeks without electric hook up? 

Not sure who you meant by "you", but speaking for us, we certainly plan to, and even longer (sizeable bank of LiFePO4s, backed by plenty of solar and for those clouded intervals, a trusty generator).

Cheers,
--
   Vall & Mo.

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 07:45:31 AM »
We stayed last year at Cherry Hill Park, where Mary Hill used to hang out, and although a very nice park the sites are very close together. When I put my rear slide out I felt bad as I was barely into the next site. I was actually just about over their fire pit although they did not have a fire thankfully. Great location to get in and out of DC though.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 07:46:21 AM »
Howdy,

Not sure who you meant by "you", but speaking for us, we certainly plan to, and even longer (sizeable bank of LiFePO4s, backed by plenty of solar and for those clouded intervals, a trusty generator).

Cheers,
--
   Vall & Mo.

Wow,you are all set then.  I didn't know if the OP noticed that Greenbelt says no water or electric. 

The other consideration was access to Metro and it looks like Cherry Hill is the winner there.  Avoid driving into and around D.C. If you can.  Traffic is horrible and everybody is "me first". 

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:41:56 AM by Sun2Retire »
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

NewmanRacing

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
My son just moved to DC. I have been doing the same research for a visit in the spring.

The search bar on this site revealed many fantastic choices in the area.

I concluded that if I want to visit My Son, Smithsonian Museums, National Monuments, ect in DC, Cherry Hill is the place to be. Sure, $70 a night and tight spaces, but I am there to see my son and DC, and I get to sleep in my own wheel house. Staying at Cherry Hill will save many hours of commuting if visiting for a week. I place a high value on my short time in the area.

Conversely, If I was there to explore the geography and rolling forested splendor that the area has to offer, there are many other campgrounds suitable for that type of experience.
1993 Fleetwood G30 21' Jamboree
1976 Dodge Class C - Deceased
1969 Starcraft Starcruiser- Deceased

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. "

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »
Just to put $70/night in perspective, what kind of room can one get in DC for $70/night?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »
We were camp hosts there 4 years ago  It is nicer than the average federal park. Large,well separated sites. I would think that most people using it would be spending their days in DC and just sleeping in the RV.

You can walk or drive to two different transit stations and get a geezers pass on it also.

One warning.  The ticks there jump out of trees and tear your throat  open in their search for blood. If you stay on the trails or road---no problem.

There was a great Chinese buffet to the right on Rhode Island Ave.

The people in DC are the most impolite, pushy, and overall obnoxious bunch I have ever been around.

I also have a problem seeing slums, homeless and the associated trash and other problems ten blocks from the capital building.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:53:22 AM by halfwright »
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
Just to put $70/night in perspective, what kind of room can one get in DC for $70/night?

Several years ago the wife and I stayed at the Old Soldiers Home. We each had to have our own room with an actual army cot and those scratchy OD green blankets. Dismal place. Cost $25 a night so $50 for the two of us. Even lodging on the military installations will run you about $100 night.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 04:43:20 PM »
Do you guys really pay $70/night? We want to stay 2 weeks.

dbFL, very few metropolitan areas have campgrounds that are close to attractions.  Land is scarce and, therefore, valuable so there are better (e.g. more lucrative) things to put on a few acres than RV parks.  We pay what we need to pay in order to visit the sites we want to visit.  Sorry, but it's a fact of RVing life.  As suggested previously, check their weekly rates.  It often boils down to what amenities we want and need or are willing to forego.  The public campgrounds are less expensive but the tradeoff is whether you can survive for a lengthy period with partial hookups or without any hookups.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
The people in DC are the most impolite, pushy, and overall obnoxious bunch I have ever been around.
(:( (:(  I lived in the Washington DC area for over 40 years and found the people to be just the opposite!

As suggested previously, check their weekly rates.
I don't believe they have weekly or monthly rates.
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 04:29:07 AM »
The other consideration was access to Metro and it looks like Cherry Hill is the winner there.  Avoid driving into and around D.C. If you can.  Traffic is horrible and everybody is "me first". 

We live in Delaware and visit D.C. occasionally. Sometimes we stay at one of the military installations either in the FamCamp or lodging. I drive into D.C. each time we go. I usually make a reservation at a parking garage near where we are going. Parking is relatively inexpensive for a fairly  large city. I don't find driving in D.C. any more difficult than Philadelphia or Chicago. Now London, that's a different animal altogether.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:30:46 AM by Oldgator73 »
Air Force Retired

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:04 AM »
Avoid driving into and around D.C. If you can.  Traffic is horrible and everybody is "me first". 
Traffic wise DC is like any other large metropolitan area, terrible twice a day and bad the rest of the time. People trying to get to and from work and construction to repair roads and build new roads to help alleviate traffic. It's better than when I first arrived there. As for the drivers they are no worse than any other large city. Especially for the Metro DC area. The population is so diverse with drivers not just from all over this country, but from all over the world living and working in the area. And they all bring their bad/good driving habits with them.

A word of caution though, on the Virginia side of the beltway (I-495) they built HOV lanes which is a boon for those that qualify for HOV, but not so much for the rest of us. When I lived there the cost to use the HOV lanes during rush hour if you didn't have the correct number of occupants in your car could be as high as $15 or more. It varies through out the day according to the density of traffic.

As to the Metro system (subway) buy a plastic fare card which you can reuse. If you buy the paper fare card each time you use the metro system it will cost each person an extra $1 per trip. Both fare cards can reloaded as needed. If you're a senior you can get a special fare card which will save you money on trips,
Gene

2011 Honda Fit

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
Gene,

I ran a search on the rudest cities in the US and DC only made number 5.  But, I did not have much to compare it to.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »
Maybe I'm just too sensitive to drivers around here.  Plus,I don't get out much. The aggressiveness just leaves me bewildered-we all wind up at the same stop light. 
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 07:38:48 PM »
Gene,

I ran a search on the rudest cities in the US and DC only made number 5.  But, I did not have much to compare it to.
I ran the same search and came up with several different polls and each one was radically different. The one thing they all had in common is they were all very large cities. Small cities won't get many votes since not many people live there. One poll had Orlando in 10th place. Baloney. Orlando is a wonderful town and certainly not rude. Southern hospitality is very real down here.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 09:57:52 PM »
Cherry Hill is the winner once more. The city busses come into the park and take you to the Metro. They even have seminars on using the metro system. I went all the way out to Arlington National Cemetery on the Metro.  :))
We have stayed there 4 times.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
If you qualify, Fort Mead has a very nice campground although it is a bit of a drive to a metro station.
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
If you qualify, Fort Mead has a very nice campground although it is a bit of a drive to a metro station.

We stayed at Ft Mead when we took the grandkids to 6 Flags. Very nice FamCamp. $50 a night FH.
Air Force Retired

larrypowellnc

• ---
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
If you think $70 a night is bad just don't go to Jackson Hole.  $100 a night to stay at the Virginian Lodge RV Park.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »
Lets not scare them with high priced campgrounds. ;) Like the lower Main cost around Moody Beech. You can't get in at any cost. :o
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Hosted by Over The Network