Washington DC Campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbFL

Looking to stay somewhere (close enough) to the city that we can hop on the metro and see all the sights.

Any recommendations, we have a 40ft 5er

thanks!!

Do you guys really pay $70/night? We want to stay 2 weeks

Pohick Bay state park in Lorton VA. About half as much as Cherry Hill, but don't expect all the amenities as Cherry Hill. We like it there and it's about a 10 minute ride to the metro. Unless you're active or retired military then you could stay at Ft. Belvoir.

dbFL said:
Do you guys really pay $70/night? We want to stay 2 weeks
Many parks have weekly rates and monthly rates that are much cheaper. And yes I have paid more than that when I stayed at Fort Wilderness in Disney World. Worth every penny. Cherry Hill is located on the DC bus route so you don't need a car.

Look at Green belt. It is not a national park, but it is run by the government. I think with the geezers pass it is $8. And you can stay two weeks.

Howdy,

halfwright said:
Look at Green belt. It is not a national park, but it is run by the government. I think with the geezers pass it is $8. And you can stay two weeks.

Best tip so far! Here's the link (it took some googling):
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/greenbelt-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70955

Looks exactly like the kind of place we'd like to stay at when going back to DC in a RV...

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Howdy,

Pugapooh said:
Can you go two weeks without electric hook up? 

Not sure who you meant by "you", but speaking for us, we certainly plan to, and even longer (sizeable bank of LiFePO4s, backed by plenty of solar and for those clouded intervals, a trusty generator).

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

We stayed last year at Cherry Hill Park, where Mary Hill used to hang out, and although a very nice park the sites are very close together. When I put my rear slide out I felt bad as I was barely into the next site. I was actually just about over their fire pit although they did not have a fire thankfully. Great location to get in and out of DC though.

VallAndMo said:
Howdy,

Not sure who you meant by "you", but speaking for us, we certainly plan to, and even longer (sizeable bank of LiFePO4s, backed by plenty of solar and for those clouded intervals, a trusty generator).

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

Wow,you are all set then.  I didn't know if the OP noticed that Greenbelt says no water or electric. 

The other consideration was access to Metro and it looks like Cherry Hill is the winner there.  Avoid driving into and around D.C. If you can.  Traffic is horrible and everybody is "me first". 

Just my thoughts.

My son just moved to DC. I have been doing the same research for a visit in the spring.

The search bar on this site revealed many fantastic choices in the area.

I concluded that if I want to visit My Son, Smithsonian Museums, National Monuments, ect in DC, Cherry Hill is the place to be. Sure, $70 a night and tight spaces, but I am there to see my son and DC, and I get to sleep in my own wheel house. Staying at Cherry Hill will save many hours of commuting if visiting for a week. I place a high value on my short time in the area.

Conversely, If I was there to explore the geography and rolling forested splendor that the area has to offer, there are many other campgrounds suitable for that type of experience.

Just to put $70/night in perspective, what kind of room can one get in DC for $70/night?

We were camp hosts there 4 years ago  It is nicer than the average federal park. Large,well separated sites. I would think that most people using it would be spending their days in DC and just sleeping in the RV.

You can walk or drive to two different transit stations and get a geezers pass on it also.

One warning.  The ticks there jump out of trees and tear your throat  open in their search for blood. If you stay on the trails or road---no problem.

There was a great Chinese buffet to the right on Rhode Island Ave.

The people in DC are the most impolite, pushy, and overall obnoxious bunch I have ever been around.

I also have a problem seeing slums, homeless and the associated trash and other problems ten blocks from the capital building.

kdbgoat said:
Just to put $70/night in perspective, what kind of room can one get in DC for $70/night?

Several years ago the wife and I stayed at the Old Soldiers Home. We each had to have our own room with an actual army cot and those scratchy OD green blankets. Dismal place. Cost $25 a night so $50 for the two of us. Even lodging on the military installations will run you about $100 night.

Do you guys really pay $70/night? We want to stay 2 weeks.

dbFL, very few metropolitan areas have campgrounds that are close to attractions.  Land is scarce and, therefore, valuable so there are better (e.g. more lucrative) things to put on a few acres than RV parks.  We pay what we need to pay in order to visit the sites we want to visit.  Sorry, but it's a fact of RVing life.  As suggested previously, check their weekly rates.  It often boils down to what amenities we want and need or are willing to forego.  The public campgrounds are less expensive but the tradeoff is whether you can survive for a lengthy period with partial hookups or without any hookups.

ArdraF

halfwright said:
The people in DC are the most impolite, pushy, and overall obnoxious bunch I have ever been around.
:)( :)(  I lived in the Washington DC area for over 40 years and found the people to be just the opposite!

As suggested previously, check their weekly rates.
I don't believe they have weekly or monthly rates.

Back
Top Bottom