EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Washington DC Campgrounds  (Read 1224 times)

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
Re: Washington DC Campgrounds
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »
If you can boondock, Greenbelt Park is great! I stayed there for a week in July last year.

You can run your generator during daylight hours to top off your batteries or use the microwave. There are water spigots at several places around the campground, and a dump station that is easy to get to. The showers passed inspection by my picky niece, so they should be alright.

You can hear traffic at night. But it's mainly background noise. Metro is a short drive away with $5 parking. The Green Line takes you right to the D.C. Mall with all the Smithsonian buildings withing easy walking distance.

If you want to visit the Pentagon or the White House, start the process now. Get on line and find out about the security requirements for the visit.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
I guess I am just cheap, but I will not pay $70 to park when I can pay $10 a mile away. I have 600 watts of solar panels and batteries, so we do not miss electric hookups. We can run off the tanks for ten days to two weeks--more if we are gone during the day. But, the world would be so boring if we were all the same
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
I have stayed at Greenbelt and had no problems, however the locals will tell you that it has had it's share of crime.  My daughter and SIL will not let me stay there any more.  About 20 miles north on I 270 is the Montgomery Cty Park that is reasonably priced, traffic in can be a slow process and in order to see the Mall, you have to get there quite early or wait to get into some attractions.  Haven't stayed at Cherry Hill, but it is about the best option for travel into the city.  Don't try to drive into DC, find the Metro and take it in.
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:21 AM »
Little Bennet park is the one in Montgomery County.  I have never stayed there but the traffic on 270 is very heavy.  Parking at the Shady Grove Metro fills up.

When are you planning to visit?
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »
Hadn't heard about crime at Greenbelt. Certainly wasn't any when I was there. But then it was the week of the Rolling Thunder Rally, with all those Harley riders camping there. Nice and peaceful.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »
There was no crime there when we hosted. There is a police station right at the entrance. We called them once about an abandoned car in the four months we were there.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 10:28:01 PM »
We stayed at Ft Mead when we took the grandkids to 6 Flags. Very nice FamCamp. $50 a night FH.

The FamCamp at Andrews AFB is an option.. 5 minutes from the Metro. FH, Quiet, clean and secure ?
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 04:36:28 AM »
The FamCamp at Andrews AFB is an option.. 5 minutes from the Metro. FH, Quiet, clean and secure ?

Andrews FamCamp is under renovation and the screwed up the contract so it's iffy if you can get in. It is much cheaper than Ft Mead though.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

rider1520

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 05:17:37 AM »
I think one thing thatís gets lost in these type of conversations is that RVing is also a lifestyle choice. While I too do not want to pay more to stay at a particular campground, I believe there is value in living in my own house so to speak and not just a room that has been shared by others.
2017 Winnebago Vista VE Class A 30'

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
I think one thing thatís gets lost in these type of conversations is that RVing is also a lifestyle choice. While I too do not want to pay more to stay at a particular campground, I believe there is value in living in my own house so to speak and not just a room that has been shared by others.
Some times it is good to save money. Some times all the added aggravation trying to live on the cheap is not worth the little money saved. :))
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »
We stayed at the Washington DC/Capital KOA some years ago but it's a bit of a hike. It's in Millersville MD about 30 minutes from the nearest Metro stop (they offer a shuttle to DC as well). Might be an option if you don't mind staying a little further away. Prices appear to be about the same, though - from $82 to $99 per night.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
Some times it is good to save money. Some times all the added aggravation trying to live on the cheap is not worth the little money saved. :))
In this particular discussion I don't think we're talking about a little money. $70 a night vs $47 or even $10 per night for 14 nights adds up. A savings of $322 to $840
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Dan T

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
I live 25 miles South of Washington DC.  The entrance to the campground at Prince William Forest National Park  is on Hwy 234 (Dumfries Road) only about 2 miles west of Interstate 95.  If you have a senior pass (age 62 I think) the campsites should only cost $14.00 a night or so.  I think they have water and electric.   Look them up on RecreationdotGov.

The nearest metro station is at Franconia Springfield about 15 miles north.  Avoid the north and southbound rush hours or it will take you an hour or more to get there.   If you take the Hot Lanes (EZ Pass) it could easily cost $20 each way.  By the time you are through you will be paying as much as if you paid for the $70.00 sites. 

No matter where you camp taking the metro is the way to go if you can.   It will significantly lower your stress level in the city and take you about anywhere you want to go.  You will need the same "smart card" for the parking most of the time.  The costs are modest.  The metro staff at the gates will assist you in setting that all up if you need it.

I find driving on the Interstates in this part of the country to be less stressful from the second lane from the right.  This gets you away from the traffic merging onto the Interstate.   

DC is a wonderful place to visit and especially so if you can do it in the Springtime while the Cherry Blossom festival is on. 

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »
There was no crime there when we hosted. There is a police station right at the entrance. We called them once about an abandoned car in the four months we were there.

I had no problem staying there, but my daughter and SIL say it's not the best neighborhood and a woman was killed there a few weeks after I was there in 2015.   Everyone has warned about ticks also, but I never saw one. 

I did feel quite safe with the police station at the entrance, however. 
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

Hosted by Over The Network