Rookie soon to buy with lots and lots of questions ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Retired in April.  Winter now in MN and I definitely want to leave town.

Probable use is touring with some week long stays with out of state friends and interesting places.  I prefer a class A.  I like diesel mostly because I have work trucks with the Ford V-10 and I'm not impressed with the ford drive train. 

I don't care much about mileage but I do like the additional power of a diesel.

Typically 2 passengers, occasionally I expect we'll road trip with guests so sleeping for 4 people is adequate.

Class B is too small.

Been shopping Craigslist and visiting dealers. 

1.  Seems like you can get a LOT more RV if you can spend $40 -55k+.  My observation is that the more expensive RV's lose more of their value vs. new purchase price so they represent a better value if the buyer can afford the extra $.  Is this correct (or at least often true)?

2.  Seems like diesels are not typically less than about 34' long unless class B?  Correct?

3.  What would be a fair price for a diesel shop to inspect a diesel drivetrain, brakes, etc.?

4.  what are the advantages/disadvantages of a tag axle?

5.  Is the 8.1 Chev considered superior to the Ford? 

6.  Any brands or models that are known to be trouble or chronically poor service.

other questions I ought to be asking ...

thx in advance to anyone taking the time to share their expertise.

Mark in MN

oldryder said:
1.  Seems like you can get a LOT more RV if you can spend $40 -55k+.  My observation is that the more expensive RV's lose more of their value vs. new purchase price so they represent a better value if the buyer can afford the extra $.  Is this correct (or at least often true)?
True but there are some pretty good bargains less expensive than that. Here is one that I would recommend, Foretravel is a high quality brand.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/1997-foretravel-unicoach_rv-37626

2.  Seems like diesels are not typically less than about 34' long unless class B?  Correct?
Yep.

3.  What would be a fair price for a diesel shop to inspect a diesel drivetrain, brakes, etc.?
$200

4.  what are the advantages/disadvantages of a tag axle?
None. A tag is used when a single axle is not strong enough to carry the weight. It is not an option like a generator. They are used when necessary.

5.  Is the 8.1 Chev considered superior to the Ford?
  The old Chevy/Ford debate. Both are great, many people like both. It is a poor idea to shop looking for one or the other. That makes your search even harder.

6.  Any brands or models that are known to be trouble or chronically poor service.
No. The badge is pretty useless at determining trouble or service on a used RV. What is important is what the inspection says.

other questions I ought to be asking ...
Are there service records available for the whole history of the RV. Tough to get from dealers and many private parties don't have the entire history. But it is helpful to find if it is available.

Several years ago I rented a 34' RV with the ford drive train for a a family vacation.  It was a good experience.

I started with a class "C" and learned a lot and just got a used A diesel.  If you buy a C at the right time of year (now) and in the right shape with minimal problems you can probably sell it in the spring of 2019 for pretty close to the same price.  That's what we did and were glad we had a base knowledge before spending the extra for the diesel A.  The key seems to be getting it right as the depreciation levels off at about 10 years or so - Also pick one with hardly any miles because new buyers like to see that when you sell it.

You can argue all day about Ford but they have a proven product.  No problems with our drive train.

Keep in mind, just because it is a diesel does not mean you are going to fly up the hills.  But then you can argue all day about gas vs. diesel.  A pusher sure is more quiet and with airbag suspension and 22.5 inch rims will sure ride better.  Should be able to haul and tow more weight. But it doesn't fly up the hills (at least mine doesn't.  People argue they are more expensive to maintain and fewer people can work on them and that is true.  Then again in theory they are built to last longer and breakdown less.  A flat tire is much more likely than a broken drivetrain. 

Nothing wrong with dipping the toe in the water before a full plunge!

Pulling a load?  Good question.

Typically not - for road trips and winter escape my plan is to have a hitch rack for a small motorcycle.  Summers at home will include pulling a 17' fishin boat.

I'm generally a Chevy guy, but I'm with KandT. The Ford V-10s are tried and true in RVs... especially later year models. The only complaint you ever hear about them is the high-reving noise they make when climbing grades, but that's normal. They're high reving by design.

The up-sides of having a tag axle are that the coach can carry a lot more weight - a LOT more weight. They're noticeably more stable in strong winds from any direction (or when passing by semis) there's virtually no porpoising on bouncy roads and a tag equipped coach will often have a higher towing capacity.

The down-sides are... they require a little more maintenance (so far, ours has been insignificant.) You'll have to buy two more tires and two more TPMS sensors, and you'll usually have a slightly larger turning radius (although not by much.) The tag axle takes up a space that could be used for additional basement storage, but almost all tag equipped coaches built today are at least 43 feet long (the exception being a Newmar 40 footer) so it's pretty much a wash.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
The up-sides of having a tag axle are that the coach can carry a lot more weight - a LOT more weight. They're noticeably more stable in strong winds from any direction (or when passing by semis) there's virtually no porpoising on bouncy roads and a tag equipped coach will often have a higher towing capacity.

The down-sides are... they require a little more maintenance (so far, ours has been insignificant.) You'll have to buy two more tires and two more TPMS sensors, and you'll usually have a slightly larger turning radius (although not by much.) The tag axle takes up a space that could be used for additional basement storage, but almost all tag equipped coaches built today are at least 43 feet long (the exception being a Newmar 40 footer) so it's pretty much a wash.

Kev

I have wondered - Do you get a lot wear patterns on your tires with a tag?  Seems like something has to be skidding anytime you make any sort of tighter turn.  I am sure it isn't a big deal because about every big truck is set up that way but I would have to guess tires wear faster being pushed to the side like that???

The only thing I don't like about a Ford drivetrain is the 5 speed transmission that they hung on to for years in the "E" series and the F53 chassis, even though they had a great six speed in Super Duty pickups since 2011. They finally decided to put the six speed behind the V-10 in 2016, a match made in Heaven.

The tags dump air in reverse, or you can manually dump them in a sharp turn.  Some high end coaches even lift the tag off the ground in a turn, and some of the brand new ones turn with the coach.  I don't think they get unusual tire wear but I have heard that comment before so I'm not sure.  I can't see where mine have, and for sure they will "age" out before "wear" out anyway on ours.

I am sure it isn't a big deal because about every big truck is set up that way but I would have to guess tires wear faster being pushed to the side like that???

I think most semis (even tandem axle body-loads) don't have tag axles, rather both (tandem) rear axles are powered and have differentials. So the two aren't directly comparable.

But on a motorhome with a tag, there definitely is a little skidding going on -- you can sometimes even see skid marks in tighter turns. But it's not enough (especially no more than MHs are driven, with turns being relatively infrequent) to cause tires to wear out early. Usually those tags have a single tire (not duallys) on each side, and are set to carry a lighter load than the driving (and dually) axle.

The tags do add a little directional stability when going straight.

Was in NM the other day and they have trailers with 3-4 axles and tag axles in the front and rear of that.  Trucks with tags in front and rear too - wow!  They must haul some heavy loads.

Anyway, if it helps, my rear axle is 20,000 lbs, and tag is 10,000 lbs.  My GVWR is 44,000 and I'm 43.5' long. (I guess that makes my front axle 14,000 lbs)

Mile High said:
Was in NM the other day and they have trailers with 3-4 axles and tag axles in the front and rear of that.  Trucks with tags in front and rear too - wow!  They must haul some heavy loads.

Anyway, if it helps, my rear axle is 20,000 lbs, and tag is 10,000 lbs.  My GVWR is 44,000 and I'm 43.5' long. (I guess that makes my front axle 14,000 lbs)
My cousins son owns a crane business in Chicago. He just bought a new crane. Tires are $3700 a piece.

Attachments

• kinser truck.jpg
    kinser truck.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 21
SeilerBird said:
My cousins son owns a crane business in Chicago. He just bought a new crane. Tires are $3700 a piece.

Only take jobs that are directly in front of him - Tough turning that baby!!  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom