what types of knives are legal where

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pplwiz

My daughter wants to own various knives: hunting, fishing, EDC.  I know laws vary.  Does anyone know if it is possible to own these without having legal trouble as we travel throughout the states?  I don't want to invest several hundred dollars on good knives to have them confiscated!

Interesting question.

I remember back in the old days...60's, that switchblade knives were illegal back on the east coast somewhere.  Don't remember for sure so I'm looking forward to the answers you get. 

Here are some placec to start learning:

http://www.knifeup.com/knife-laws/

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/state-knife-laws-know-whats-legal-whats-not-infographic/

Basically there are few broad restrictions except on carrying switch blades (federal), but some large cities may have local laws on blade length for concealed knives and various folding or other concealable knives.

Thank you both!

Arch, from my research I have found that all switchblades (automatic mechanism) are illegal in every state.  She is looking at regular pocket knives.

Gary, thank you for the sites.  I will check them out.  Do you know if there is any issue with us keeping the knives in the RV when in states where they might be illegal?  I realize that we can check the laws wherever we are before carrying them with us outside the RV, but would there be a problem in owning them at all?!

pplwiz said:
Thank you both!

Arch, from my research I have found that all switchblades (automatic mechanism) are illegal in every state.  She is looking at regular pocket knives.

Gary, thank you for the sites.  I will check them out.  Do you know if there is any issue with us keeping the knives in the RV when in states where they might be illegal?  I realize that we can check the laws wherever we are before carrying them with us outside the RV, but would there be a problem in owning them at all?!

In many states, having a knife within reach of the driver is considered a concealed weapon. Police will have heartburn over seeing any type of weapon, or device that can be used as one in the driver/passenger area. 
If they are in a cupboard in the cabin area, they should not be a problem in most cases. Crossing into Canada, or Mexico and back might create some adventures. If planning to cross borders,  you will want to check with customs in that country

In California, a double edged knife is considered a dagger, and is illegal. Could be the same for other states.

My wife used to carry a WWII bayonet in the front seat when she traveled alone.

In Ca, 12020 a 1 PC generally refers to illegal possession of a Dirk or Dagger. They are knives generally designed to be stabbing weapons.  A typical folding knife (pocket knife) in generally not an illegal weapon.

A typical folding knife (pocket knife) in generally not an illegal weapon.

Unless you're boarding an airplane and then you'd better not have any knives.  On our last flying trip Jerry forgot his pocket knife was in his pocket.  Luckily we had enough time that he was able to run outside and leave it in the car.

ArdraF

Wow I feel like an idiot but I never considered a knife in the car to be an issue...I have a larger than pocket knife sized switch blade in the console and a hunting/stabbing style knife in the drivers side door ?just in case? since I  travel alone.  Other than the airport has anyone actually had an issue with something like this?

The odds of actually having a problem carrying it are pretty slim. That is unless you ever have to actually use it, then there could be a whole bunch explanation necessary.  Even saving your own life with an illegal weapon, still makes the weapon illegal. But at least you would be the one explaining, and not the attacker.

Its interesting that most folks that are traveling in M/Hs have kitchen knives of all types and sizes in the cupboards and don't even think about it.>>>Dan

I don't want to drag this topic into a political area, but it does bare saying this. Unless someone is positive that they are willing to take another's life, then don't carry ANY deadly weapon. Get Mace or a Taser. Deadly weapons are not used to "threaten or scare" someone away. And that is from a law enforcement perspective.

SargeW said:
... Deadly weapons are not used to "threaten or scare" someone away. And that is from a law enforcement perspective.

Amen! I was always taught to not point it at anything you weren't about to shoot. The movies/TV make a big thing about threatening, but in real life...

Larry N. said:
Amen! I was always taught to not point it at anything you weren't about to shoot. The movies/TV make a big thing about threatening, but in real life...

Boy, that's true. The movies and TV always show LE doing super human stuff without ever getting anyone dirty or upset. And then they shoot 5 people and are still in time to go to lunch. Sure.......

When my Jeep was stolen from our campsite, the deputy that came out said "Too bad you didn't have a gun".  I told him it was too bad the dogs didn't wake me up.
When the Jeep was recovered and I discovered that the thieves were wanted for murder in another state, I decided that it was a good thing I didn't wake up, as he'd probably be more ready to shoot someone than I would have been. 

Old_Crow said:
he'd probably be more ready to shoot someone than I would have been. 

Quite true Wally. And when you reduce it down to the basics, what happened to you was a property crime. Risking your safety for that is never worth it.

SargeW said:
Quite true Wally. And when you reduce it down to the basics, what happened to you was a property crime. Risking your safety for that is never worth it.

Yeah, I was really surprised when the deputy made that crack.  Although, reading the history of the Natchez Trace, I guess this sort of thing has been going on in the area since the 1700's.  Luckily, the Jeep had full coverage, so basically all I really lost was the $500 worth of tools I was carrying.
Not going to stop me from going back.  It's a real pretty park in a real pretty area.  I have a stop planned there in April on our way down to Pensacola for my kid's wedding.  I figure it was a fluke, and surely it won't happen again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom