EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: what types of knives are legal where  (Read 1111 times)

pplwiz

• ---
what types of knives are legal where
« on: November 08, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
My daughter wants to own various knives: hunting, fishing, EDC.  I know laws vary.  Does anyone know if it is possible to own these without having legal trouble as we travel throughout the states?  I don't want to invest several hundred dollars on good knives to have them confiscated!

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: what types of knives are legal where
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:53 PM »
Interesting question.

I remember back in the old days...60's, that switchblade knives were illegal back on the east coast somewhere.  Don't remember for sure so I'm looking forward to the answers you get. 

2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
Here are some placec to start learning:

http://www.knifeup.com/knife-laws/

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/state-knife-laws-know-whats-legal-whats-not-infographic/

Basically there are few broad restrictions except on carrying switch blades (federal), but some large cities may have local laws on blade length for concealed knives and various folding or other concealable knives.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:11:28 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

pplwiz

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »
Thank you both!

Arch, from my research I have found that all switchblades (automatic mechanism) are illegal in every state.  She is looking at regular pocket knives.

Gary, thank you for the sites.  I will check them out.  Do you know if there is any issue with us keeping the knives in the RV when in states where they might be illegal?  I realize that we can check the laws wherever we are before carrying them with us outside the RV, but would there be a problem in owning them at all?!

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »
Thank you both!

Arch, from my research I have found that all switchblades (automatic mechanism) are illegal in every state.  She is looking at regular pocket knives.

Gary, thank you for the sites.  I will check them out.  Do you know if there is any issue with us keeping the knives in the RV when in states where they might be illegal?  I realize that we can check the laws wherever we are before carrying them with us outside the RV, but would there be a problem in owning them at all?!

In many states, having a knife within reach of the driver is considered a concealed weapon. Police will have heartburn over seeing any type of weapon, or device that can be used as one in the driver/passenger area. 
If they are in a cupboard in the cabin area, they should not be a problem in most cases. Crossing into Canada, or Mexico and back might create some adventures. If planning to cross borders,  you will want to check with customs in that country

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:07:06 PM »
In California, a double edged knife is considered a dagger, and is illegal. Could be the same for other states.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »
My wife used to carry a WWII bayonet in the front seat when she traveled alone.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
In Ca, 12020 a 1 PC generally refers to illegal possession of a Dirk or Dagger. They are knives generally designed to be stabbing weapons.  A typical folding knife (pocket knife) in generally not an illegal weapon.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »
A typical folding knife (pocket knife) in generally not an illegal weapon.

Unless you're boarding an airplane and then you'd better not have any knives.  On our last flying trip Jerry forgot his pocket knife was in his pocket.  Luckily we had enough time that he was able to run outside and leave it in the car.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 07:37:55 PM »
Wow I feel like an idiot but I never considered a knife in the car to be an issue...I have a larger than pocket knife sized switch blade in the console and a hunting/stabbing style knife in the drivers side door “just in case” since I  travel alone.  Other than the airport has anyone actually had an issue with something like this?
2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
The odds of actually having a problem carrying it are pretty slim. That is unless you ever have to actually use it, then there could be a whole bunch explanation necessary.  Even saving your own life with an illegal weapon, still makes the weapon illegal. But at least you would be the one explaining, and not the attacker.
Marty--

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »
Its interesting that most folks that are traveling in M/Hs have kitchen knives of all types and sizes in the cupboards and don't even think about it.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
I don't want to drag this topic into a political area, but it does bare saying this. Unless someone is positive that they are willing to take another's life, then don't carry ANY deadly weapon. Get Mace or a Taser. Deadly weapons are not used to "threaten or scare" someone away. And that is from a law enforcement perspective.
Marty--

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
... Deadly weapons are not used to "threaten or scare" someone away. And that is from a law enforcement perspective.

Amen! I was always taught to not point it at anything you weren't about to shoot. The movies/TV make a big thing about threatening, but in real life...
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »
My deadliest weapon is showing up at the door naked.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »
My deadliest weapon is showing up at the door naked.

That may not be a good defense against Lorena Bobbitt ringing your doorbell.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
Amen! I was always taught to not point it at anything you weren't about to shoot. The movies/TV make a big thing about threatening, but in real life...

Boy, that's true. The movies and TV always show LE doing super human stuff without ever getting anyone dirty or upset. And then they shoot 5 people and are still in time to go to lunch. Sure.......
Marty--

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 08:58:24 AM »
When my Jeep was stolen from our campsite, the deputy that came out said "Too bad you didn't have a gun".  I told him it was too bad the dogs didn't wake me up.
When the Jeep was recovered and I discovered that the thieves were wanted for murder in another state, I decided that it was a good thing I didn't wake up, as he'd probably be more ready to shoot someone than I would have been. 
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »
he'd probably be more ready to shoot someone than I would have been. 

Quite true Wally. And when you reduce it down to the basics, what happened to you was a property crime. Risking your safety for that is never worth it.
Marty--

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:12 AM »
Quite true Wally. And when you reduce it down to the basics, what happened to you was a property crime. Risking your safety for that is never worth it.

Yeah, I was really surprised when the deputy made that crack.  Although, reading the history of the Natchez Trace, I guess this sort of thing has been going on in the area since the 1700's.  Luckily, the Jeep had full coverage, so basically all I really lost was the $500 worth of tools I was carrying.
Not going to stop me from going back.  It's a real pretty park in a real pretty area.  I have a stop planned there in April on our way down to Pensacola for my kid's wedding.  I figure it was a fluke, and surely it won't happen again.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

mattcoker17

• ---
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »
In Ca, 12020 a 1 PC generally refers to illegal possession of a Dirk or Dagger. They are knives generally designed to be stabbing weapons.  A typical folding knife (pocket knife) in generally not an illegal weapon.

Just an FYI.... 12020 PC was repealed in California several years ago.  It was broken into two separate code for knives.  the first is 21310 PC - possession of dirk or dagger.  And, 21510 PC - possession of switchblade knife.

Matt
2015 Jayco White Hawk Ultralite 24' (for now)

99dart

• ---
  • If it ain't broke...don't fix it!
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »
To the OP, you could always get a small gun safe when traveling. I purchased this little guy to carry my Ruger LC9s in my luggage when flying. NOT CARRY-ON, but checked bags. It is in our MH now hidden & strapped behind the bedroom tv.
https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300-NanoVault-Combination-Lock/dp/B003841ZBS/ref=pd_sim_60_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003841ZBS&pd_rd_r=SK11Y7SJTH64NKJS5YE5&pd_rd_w=V4P5i&pd_rd_wg=SqHEC&psc=1&refRID=SK11Y7SJTH64NKJS5YE5
2016 Thor Quantum WS31
2014 Ford Focus toad
1998 Four Winds Chateau -- sold

Badlands Bob

• ---
  • What could possibly go wrong?
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
I don't want to drag this topic into a political area, but it does bare saying this. Unless someone is positive that they are willing to take another's life, then don't carry ANY deadly weapon. Get Mace or a Taser. Deadly weapons are not used to "threaten or scare" someone away. And that is from a law enforcement perspective.

You could always just get a really good first aide kit and hope for the best. 
2015 Ford F-150 5.0
2016 Winnebago 2201 w/Equal-i-zer hitch

henkelphoto

• ---
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »

What's wrong with carrying both? The problem with saying that you shouldn't carry any deadly weapon, just mace or a taser, is that you are limiting yourself to one option. As with any tool, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Dodge Ram 1500
Keystone Hideout 177lhs

pplwiz

• ---
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »
Thank you so much to everyone for your input.  You guys sure made me laugh!!!  Especially when I read Dan's (utahclaimjumper) comment about the kitchen knives!  LOL  I never even thought about that!  Sometimes a different perspective is important.  As to Marty's (sargew) comment on carrying knives as a weapon, NEVER!  I was married to a deputy and am well aware of the dangers of having a weapon turned on you.  My daughter wants to learn to hunt and fish and I just don't know what is and isn't allowed when it comes to knives.  We have a healthy respect for them and the law ;)  Our defenses are God and good ol' fashioned common sense.  Naked... LOL

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »
Just an FYI.... 12020 PC was repealed in California several years ago.  It was broken into two separate code for knives.  the first is 21310 PC - possession of dirk or dagger.  And, 21510 PC - possession of switchblade knife.

Matt

Thanks for the heads up Matt.
Marty--

Gator504

• 504-430-2840
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »
Any pocket knife with 3" or less blade is legal in all states. You said you wanted it for hunting and or fishing. Keep it in a tackle box for extra measure. If your RV has a kitchen, then cooking utensil knives can be larger and still acceptable. Just keep it in the kitchen drawer with all the other utensils.

Badlands Bob

• ---
  • What could possibly go wrong?
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
This has less than a 3" edge and would be very effective against an unarmed attacker.  You might need a little war paint to set the mood.

https://www.zoro.com/sog-tomahawk-275-in-edge-1575-in-l-24-oz-f01tn-cp/i/G1229523/
2015 Ford F-150 5.0
2016 Winnebago 2201 w/Equal-i-zer hitch

2kGeorgieBoy

• ---
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
We carry several cans of wasp spray. My wife read about that somewhere, not sure how effective it will be. On the upside they have a pretty good range and a lot of it in the can. On the down side, it's like the dog spray the post office uses..you don't know if it will work until you use it and then it's too late if it doesn't.
2000 Georgie Boy Maverick
31' E450 V10  No slides
our toys:
'08 Polaris Touring LE ATV (mine)
'12 Polaris 550 XP ATV (wife's)
1968 AH Sprite (original owners, not on road at this time)
Gary, Jena, and Presley (our awesome yellow Lab).
Westcliffe, CO.

Gator504

• 504-430-2840
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:34 PM »
You can pretty much carry a shotgun in all 50 states

Hosted by Over The Network