Southern AZ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

I am headed out to the Tombstone area of AZ as well as several other places in AZ. At the latest, I will leave this Sunday, Nov 8, 2017.  Earlier, if there won't be much of a 3-day weekend crowd in that area. I could start this trip as early as tomorrow.

I will be carrying my smaller electric motorcycle on the hitch to get around with after I am parked.

I see on my computer maps there are a couple of RV Parks down there, such as Tombstone Territories RV Park and Mountain View RV Park.

Would I likely need a reservation at these places during this time of year, or can I just take my chances without?

I prefer to NOT make reservations anywhere when I travel, as often my plans change in the middle of the trip and it is difficult for me to estimate when I will be somewhere. But if I must, I will.

And does anybody here have any suggestions about anything down that way?

In have been in that area before, but not for around 20 years or so.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

HueyPilotVN said:
Maybe Chet will read this post and let you know about the place that he stays at in that area.

Chet and Laurie have a place at the Escapee Park in Benson, AZ.

I think that Benson is only about 20 miles north of Tombstone.

Maybe he will know the area and have a suggestion.

When I met him at the new Years rally at Catalina SP by Tucson, he had a crazy colored hair piece on his head.

SeilerBird said:
I have never gotten a reservation in Arizona anytime except at the Grand Canyon.
That's good news, as I have no plans to go near the Grand Canyon, but all over the rest of AZ (except Phoenix!).

I have been to the Grand Canyon  several times in the past years.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

The Kartchner caves near Tombstone was pretty cool. Worth the trip to see them. I think it is only about 15 minutes away. I cant remember where we stayed when we were there last year.

Hello,

muskoka guy said:
The Kartchner caves near Tombstone was pretty cool. Worth the trip to see them. I think it is only about 15 minutes away. I cant remember where we stayed when we were there last year.

+1 for Kartchner Caverns. Besides touring the caves themselves (which was great), we've stayed a couple of days  in their campground (it's a full-featured State Park) and used it as a base to explore the region, including Tombstone. The hikes inside the park also were not bad.

Their website is at https://azstateparks.com/kartchner

Cheers, and have fun,
--
  Vall & Mo.

VallAndMo said:
Hello,

+1 for Kartchner Caverns. Besides touring the caves themselves (which was great), we've stayed a couple of days  in their campground (it's a full-featured State Park) and used it as a base to explore the region, including Tombstone. The hikes inside the park also were not bad.

Their website is at https://azstateparks.com/kartchner

Cheers, and have fun,
--
  Vall & Mo.
Kartchner  Caverns was already on my list of my several places to visit.

Has anybody here stayed at the Tombstone Territories RV Park?

I decided that I will leave for this trip on Sunday.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Just saw your post. You can stop at our SKP park in Benson. It's at mile 295 on AZ hwy 80 about a mile south of Benson. Here's a link for a coupon for one week stay for $50. We 22 miles from Tombstone and 7 miles from the caverns, plus a lot of other neat places to go.

http://www.skpsaguaro.org/special-offers.html

If you stop in, be sure and let me know. I'm on lot 53.

Cyndi and I just visited Tombstone, the Pima Air Museum and the general area last week. As I drove passed the RV parks near Tombstone, it looked like there were some empty sites in each of them, but don't take that as gospel. The occupants may have been out for the day.

We also stayed at Kartchner State Park and took the cavern tour - very interesting. Well maintained, big rig compatible campground (mostly - the dump station leaves something to be desired.) The campsites all seemed to have a lot of space between them, but we couldn't put our awning out due to the closeness of trees. 30 amp hookups, water but no sewer. It was about a 20 minute drive (or so) to Tombstone.

Kev

Attachments

• 35AD07FB-D987-4019-AD5A-6C1A97A01418.jpeg
    35AD07FB-D987-4019-AD5A-6C1A97A01418.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 0AF83703-2C8B-4D36-84AF-C5D8F211D81E.jpeg
    0AF83703-2C8B-4D36-84AF-C5D8F211D81E.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 56
Chet18013 said:
Just saw your post. You can stop at our SKP park in Benson. It's at mile 295 on AZ hwy 80 about a mile south of Benson. Here's a link for a coupon for one week stay for $50. We 22 miles from Tombstone and 7 miles from the caverns, plus a lot of other neat places to go.

http://www.skpsaguaro.org/special-offers.html

I will probably see you next week sometime! I just printed out the coupon, looks like a great deal (as long as the electricity isn't too expensive!--I am bringing my smaller electric motorcycle, 6.5 KWH battery).

-Don-  Auburn, CA

muskoka guy said:

State run campground right at Kartchner.  Water/electric only. Dump station.  Nice clean campground.  Well worth stopping for a look at an unspoiled cave.

Wi1dBi11

DonTom said:
I will probably see you next week sometime! I just printed out the coupon, looks like a great deal (as long as the electricity isn't too expensive!--I am bringing my smaller electric motorcycle, 6.5 KWH battery).

-Don-  Auburn, CA

If you ran 3 AC or heat pumps, it might cost you $3.50 per day.

Chet18013 said:
If you ran 3 AC or heat pumps, it might cost you $3.50 per day.
I will be leaving for there in the morning. Expect to see me in a few days. I am not sure when I will get there and  I am in no hurry, but I figure in a few days I should be there.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Chet18013 said:
Just saw your post. You can stop at our SKP park in Benson. It's at mile 295 on AZ hwy 80 about a mile south of Benson.

I will be there a few days later than I expected. 

I am now stuck in Needles, CA.  Looking to get my transmission repaired or replaced, because of my own stupidity. I will explain when we meet how and why I shifted into reverse at 65 MPH on the freeway.

I can still drive the RV if I am extremely careful where I park.  Needless to say, I now have no reverse!

-Don-  Needles, CA

Don,

We are just south of you in Lake Havasu and have an offer for you.  We have a large front cement front apron and you are welcome to come here to figure out what you want to do to get your RV fixed.  We have electric, water, and sewer hookups for you and you can take as much time as you need.

Send me a PM with your phone number and I will call you. 

Renae is making Roasted Chicken, Stuffing and green beans and we are only about 25 miles from you.

Don.t worry about reverse as I can pull you backwards with a jeep when you need to go in reverse.

If someone knows Don's phone number maybe they could call him and tell him to check his PM for my phone number.

He just called me.

He made it to an automotive shop and he said they had it on the rack.  He expects to be there till Thursday and can stay in the RV.  There are places to eat and such near him.

Bottom line is that he is OK.

HueyPilotVN said:
Don,

We are just south of you in Lake Havasu and have an offer for you.  We have a large front cement front apron and you are welcome to come here to figure out what you want to do to get your RV fixed.  We have electric, water, and sewer hookups for you and you can take as much time as you need.

Send me a PM with your phone number and I will call you. 

Renae is making Roasted Chicken, Stuffing and green beans and we are only about 25 miles from you.

Don.t worry about reverse as I can pull you backwards with a jeep when you need to go in reverse.

If someone knows Don's phone number maybe they could call him and tell him to check his PM for my phone number.
Your private mailbox here is full!

Thanks, and all that sounds so good! But I am stuck here in Needles at a repair shop. But I can stay here in the RV (plugged into A/C and all)  until all the work is done.

Now, here is what happened. I started getting a very bad vibration at 65 MPH, but this RV is as smooth as can be at 60 MPH. So I decided to put the RV in neutral at 65 mph to see if the engine had anything to do with it. But when when I shifted back to drive, I noticed I was in Reverse! How it got in reverse, well, it must have been because of a loose nut behind the wheel! :)

Anyway, all the vibration was caused by was  the internal belt separation of the  right front tire.  Since all my tires are close to seven years old, I am replacing all seven (includes the spare). The tires will be here tomorrow.  Since there is 121,048 miles on this tranny, I am letting them install  a new tranny, which will be a lot faster than repairing the old one (they would have to order small parts, etc).

I drove the last 100 or so miles here at 60 MPH tops.

It probably would have been a better idea to look for a new RV!

This isn't too bad of an area to be stuck in for a few days. Plenty of nice restaurants and such. I am not in a hurry to get anywhere fast anyway.

-Don-  Needles, CA

Back
Top Bottom